The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Cool Penalize Insanity 1

This week I was waiting to get dressed watching reserve games twice - and I saw two very troubling situations this is the first

Wed, First half team A down three with 1:30 left and there is a charge call lower block that goes against them (solid call from my perspective) coach is ballistic before the official reports - Official reports and moves on - coach is now nuclear - out of the box stomping around red in the face - clearly nearing the insanity phase - ball inbounded and they move in the opposite direction - coach is still stomping around on the sideline. Ball goes out of bounds right to the coach - he holds the ball and is just reaming on the official - who now stop signs him - the coach still has the ball - and is still going on.
The official says something to him and he gets the ball but the coach is still giving him what for but in a slightly calmer manner now.
The ball is inbounded and there is a block call made against his team - same player who got the charge - on the block different official and here we go again - official stays while they shoot the shots and gets chewed and the time expires after the missed free throw - the coach takes a couple of shots on the way out and we all go to the locker room -
The official's conversation consists of what an a$$ this guy is being, he doesn't know what he is talking about.
I asked "since all three of you have had run ins with him why is he still up and about"
Response "you just have to know (We will call him Ed) he is just that way and really isn't that bad a guy - he is harmless"
The first part of the third quarter showed a similar pattern of behavior and no response from the officials - we left and got dressed.
Our Buddy Ed was on the bench for the varsity game and he got WHACKED within the first 3 minutes of the game and we didn't have any more issues with him or his head coach who was starting off with the same sort of behavior.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Good example of a technical that makes the game better. I had one of those a couple of weeks ago where I whacked the coach 4 minutes into the game (after I stopped signed him). After that the players settled down and the coach stopped officiating and coached his team. He actually went overboard to be nice to my partners and I for the rest of the game.

Once a coach realizes that he/she is not going to be the fourth official they will usually coach their team instead.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach the same way once. He started on the very first "no-call" of the game.....stop sign...game clock read 7:38 of the first quarter (HS game). He got his "T" at the 6:16 mark. He was a saint the rest of the game.

Sometimes you have to pull the trigger no matter how "nice" a guy he is off the court. No one deserves to be embarrased on the court.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:24pm
Huck Finn

I understand, but I don't understand why it seems like a coach must be given a stop sign first. IMO, either the coach is going to go overboard or he isn't. Most of the time a stop sign isn't going to make any difference. IMO, it has more to do with the officials' feel for what is going on and what is too much. I think there should probably be at least twice as many T's in a high school game until we get back to playing the game the way it should be played.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I understand, but I don't understand why it seems like a coach must be given a stop sign first. IMO, either the coach is going to go overboard or he isn't. Most of the time a stop sign isn't going to make any difference. IMO, it has more to do with the officials' feel for what is going on and what is too much. I think there should probably be at least twice as many T's in a high school game until we get back to playing the game the way it should be played.
There doesn't HAVE to be a stop sign! I have definitely t'd up a coach without a stop sign. IMO, the purpose of a stop sign is to have a visual warning on film and to communicate to your partners that the coach has been warned. A coach could be quietly saying "travel", "3 seconds", "foul" on every play. Do immediately give him a technical? No, you give him a warning so that everyone in the gym (including your partners) is not suprised when you give him a technical.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 04:35pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
There doesn't HAVE to be a stop sign! I have definitely t'd up a coach without a stop sign. IMO, the purpose of a stop sign is to have a visual warning on film and to communicate to your partners that the coach has been warned. A coach could be quietly saying "travel", "3 seconds", "foul" on every play. Do immediately give him a technical? No, you give him a warning so that everyone in the gym (including your partners) is not suprised when you give him a technical.
I understand what you are saying, but I would ask you to try something. Forget about what everyone in the gym does or doesn't know and match your calls to the appropriate violation/foul. The crowd might not like you, but you might feel better about the job you did. This isn't black and white, but IMO the stop sign isn't a requirement between unsportsmanlike behavior and a technical foul. Although you might not always use it, this thread is an example of plenty of officials who do. Don't think I'm a gunslinger, although some people may say I am
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 04:55pm
PYRef

True, in some cases there is absolutely no reason to warn the coach or anybody when a T is warranted. But there are instances, in the heat of a game that a coach can start to get a little too into it. I think it is times like that when you can give the coach a stop sign and non-verbally say "I hear you coach, I know your concerns, it's time to back off."
I think that can be used as a good game management technique to keep a potentially heated situation under control.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 07:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Foul Guidelines ??

I found this (below) on the Tricity (Washington State) Officials Association website. I posted it with no editing a few weeks ago on this Forum, and received a few comments. I've now had time to edit it a little, but this is still an ongoing project. Any suggestions or comments???

Technical Fouls

Top Reasons To Not Give A Technical Foul
1) You can address a coach before it becomes a problem. A quiet word can go a long way in preventing a technical foul.
2) When coaches complain ask yourself, is the call questionable, is the call wrong. If they have a legitimate gripe then allow them some latitude.
3) If you know a coach is upset then move out onto the floor when in front of their bench.
4) Warnings can be very effective in preventing situations from escalating. Don't tolerate a lot before a warning.
5) Lend and ear. Coaches like to be heard. If you ignore them then they become more frustrated and are more likely to lose control.
6) If an assistant is out of line, then you can speak to the head coach and ask them to help you out.
7) If a player is out of line then let the coach know. Tell them you've warned their player. That way if you do give a technical foul, then the coach isn't surprised. Most good coaches will speak to the player first.
8) If you have had a rough day and know your fuse is short, keep that in mind before you do anything rash. Ask yourself, does the situation come under one of the top ten reasons to give a technical foul.

Top Reasons To Give A Technical Foul
Knowing when the right time to call a technical foul is half the battle. There are many different factors to consider, when deciding to give a technical foul. Generally, there are three areas of coach's behavior that need attention: when a coach makes it personal, when a coach draws attention to himself or herself, and when a coach's complaints are persistent.

Some technical fouls are easy. They are black and white situations that leave little room for negotiations:
1) Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar, or obscene.
2) If a coach questions your integrity.
3) Inciting an undesirable crowd reaction.
4) If you are being embarrassed.
5) If coach or player has been warned and has not heeded the warning.
6) Leaving the confines of the coaching box and complaining.
7) A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned.

Other technical fouls are not as black and white. In some situations a warning may be appropriate before the technical foul is given:
8) A coach or player continually demonstrates signals or asks for calls.
9) If they have interfered with the game or your concentration then they have usually gone to far.
10) If giving a technical will help give structure back to the game and if it will have a calming effect on things.

Top Ways To Give A Technical Foul
1) Calling a technical foul should be no different then calling any other violation. Maintain a pleasant attitude, have poise and presence. Don't embarrass the coach by being demonstrative.
2) Explain technical fouls on players to coaches.
4) Never look at a coach when you give a technical foul.
3) Call the technical foul. Report it to the table and leave the area. Find your partner.
4) Explanations, it needed should be done by partner.
5) After technical fouls, get the ball in play immediately.
6) Make them earn the second technical foul. Don't be reluctant to give the second trechnical foul if it is warranted.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach is stomping, that's a no brainer T. A lot of times, I don't really care what a coach says but if he gets the least bit demonstrative I will shut that down immediately.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
9) If they have interfered with the game or your concentration then they have usually gone toO far.
Sorry, WHere is grammar guy when you need him?