The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Poor technical foul...players actions do not meet ANY of the Class A Technical Foul definitions.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
The post game report was probably because Jay Bilas wouldn't shut up. He kept spewing what was going to happen and he wasn't even close. He is the one insisting that the opposing coach gets to choose. When R came and told him what the scenario was, you know he never said "I WAS WRONG".
That's not true, he clearly said before the explanation that he wasn't sure and, after the explanation, said that he didn't know that and hadn't seen it before and, again quite clearly, distinguished this situation from if a fouled player is injured.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Poor technical foul...players actions do not meet ANY of the Class A Technical Foul definitions.
Easy to say from the replay booth. It really isn't hard for a player in that situation NOT to get a T. Just toss the damn ball to an official. The calling official was behind him. He could have easily interpreted the ball slam as an expression by the player "about time foul called" or a taunt "we win" etc. Many things that fit an A. As a player you learn in the 4th grade slamming the ball is bad. Ideally, a T isn't called here but I don't put it on the official.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 11:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Easy to say from the replay booth. It really isn't hard for a player in that situation NOT to get a T. Just toss the damn ball to an official. The calling official was behind him. He could have easily interpreted the ball slam as an expression by the player "about time foul called" or a taunt "we win" etc. Many things that fit an A. As a player you learn in the 4th grade slamming the ball is bad. Ideally, a T isn't called here but I don't put it on the official.
I don't think it was a bad call, as it seems to be the expected call. I just don't see how it breaks any rules.

1. It wasn't taunting. I've never seen a player taunt without actually engaging an opponent or the opponent's bench directly.
2. I didn't sense it was overly exuberative. A teammate caught it, from what I understand.
3. It's not inciting the crowd.
4. He wasn't objecting to a call.
5. It didn't actually delay the game, which is the rule most people are quoting.

It's expected, I get that, I just can't think of a rule it violates.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't think it was a bad call, as it seems to be the expected call. I just don't see how it breaks any rules.

1. It wasn't taunting. I've never seen a player taunt without actually engaging an opponent or the opponent's bench directly.
2. I didn't sense it was overly exuberative. A teammate caught it, from what I understand.
3. It's not inciting the crowd.
4. He wasn't objecting to a call.
5. It didn't actually delay the game, which is the rule most people are quoting.

It's expected, I get that, I just can't think of a rule it violates.
When I see it on replay I say pass on it. The kid was excited. I can see though, how the calling official, from behind, might interpret it as unsportsmanlike. "about time you called the foul" or "F yeah --we win" which is what i think he yelled. You could tell by the look on the kid's face he was immediately remorseful/worried but the official behind didn't see his face etc.

I wouldn't rely on delay of game. As i said, slamming the ball, rightly or wrongly, is viewed as bad. The official may have just reacted on that being unsporting. The ball wasn't caught until it bounced a few times. I don't think it was that bad but, as i said, easy to not get a T.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Feb 22, 2016 at 11:18am.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the video for this play......

Peace
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Commentary certainly doesn't help.

It's weak, but it's there. I think I would try to avoid calling this if at all possible, but I think it could be justified.

Because the phrase "Preventing the ball from being made live" is not well defined, is there anyone who would attempt to call this a delay of game? That not giving the ball to the official effectively "prevented the ball from being made live" on the ensuing free throws? Before the 'you're crazy' responses, I realize that that interpretation is a stretch, but I think it would be a great rule change to include things like this, that maybe don't rise to the level of a technical foul, but should probably still be addressed.

Last edited by frezer11; Mon Feb 22, 2016 at 12:24pm.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Commentary certainly doesn't help.

It's weak, but it's there. I think I would try to avoid calling this if at all possible, but I think it could be justified.

Because the phrase "Preventing the ball from being made live" is not well defined, is there anyone who would attempt to call this a delay of game? That not giving the ball to the official effectively "prevented the ball from being made live" on the ensuing free throws? Before the 'you're crazy' responses, I realize that that interpretation is a stretch, but I think it would be a great rule change to include things like this, that maybe don't rise to the level of a technical foul, but should probably still be addressed.
I would not call this delay of game. It's unsportsmanlike or nothing for me. He called it for unsportsmanlike conduct-slamming the ball---that's what he told the other officials.

If I wasn't calling a T i'd tell him "don't do that…ever…" Another rule isn't necessary.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 11:21am
Often wrong never n doubt

The Kentucky player was looking in the general direction of two a&m players and says something that begins with an f bomb then throws the ball in the general direction of the a & m players . So maybe it was judged he was taunting them. He did say o shit immediately after throwing the ball.

When the three officials are huddled he says he slammed the ball on the ground, technical foul, unsportsmanlike conduct.

Last edited by jeremy341a; Tue Feb 23, 2016 at 11:26am.