The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fouled But Gets 5th Foul On A T? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100938-fouled-but-gets-5th-foul-t.html)

Spence Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:43pm

Fouled But Gets 5th Foul On A T?

UK TAMU game.

UK center gets fouled. Bonus. In his excitement he slams the ball down and gets whacked. It's his 5th foul.

How is the shooter determined?

UK player came off the bench to shoot. Not sure how he was selected. By shooting team? By opposing team?

scrounge Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:46pm

It's whomever the sub for the fouled out player...coincidentally had this EXACT situation myself two weeks ago. Partner knew how to handle and helped out.

spret93 Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:46pm

Whoever is his sub will shoot the 1-and-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spence Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:53pm

Post-game reports said that the defensive coach picked the shooter. That didn't sound right.

BigCat Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:56pm

If a player is injured and the foul was not flagrant, the opposing coach would choose shooter from remaining 4 players on court. If the player is injured AND there is blood, his substitute will shoot the FTs if player is unable to shoot or resolve blood issue.

Finally, if the foul is flagrant and player is injured his coach can choose anyone on his team to shoot the FT.

Disqualifications like the OP follow normal rules as others pointed out. Sub shoots FT.s.

JetMetFan Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 981791)
It's whomever the sub for the fouled out player...coincidentally had this EXACT situation myself two weeks ago. Partner knew how to handle and helped out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spret93 (Post 981792)
Whoever is his sub will shoot the 1-and-1.

This is the NCAAW & NFHS rule. BigCat gave you the NCAAM rule.

Krr25 Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:53am

Wouldn't have called T. Players are not robots. Wasn't disagreeing with call, taunting players, or anything of the nature. Seemed to simply be player excitement that he tried to stop once he realized his excitement. I've seen worse. Coaches get out of coaches boxes isn't always called, t wasnt called for fans running on court early,no reason this should have been either.

I'm more concerned about the obvious shot clock violation that wasn't called a dead ball on the previous possession by KY.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 21, 2016 02:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krr25 (Post 981804)
Wouldn't have called T. Players are not robots. Wasn't disagreeing with call, taunting players, or anything of the nature. Seemed to simply be player excitement that he tried to stop once he realized his excitement. I've seen worse. Coaches get out of coaches boxes isn't always called, t wasnt called for fans running on court early,no reason this should have been either.

I'm more concerned about the obvious shot clock violation that wasn't called a dead ball on the previous possession by KY.

Or the fact that the clock didn't immediately start on the touch in the final throwin of OT.

Mr.C Sun Feb 21, 2016 09:04am

I was enjoying the commentator make a mess of the explanation of what was going to happen next. Could feel that he was trying to find a case citation or something. was comical.

Adam Sun Feb 21, 2016 02:28pm

Just saw the video. I don't think I make that call at any point in any game I work; unless I have warned him previously or I'm asking him for the ball as he chucks it down the court. It's not going to delay anything.

But if SEC powers, and John Adams, want this called, so be it.

bballref3966 Sun Feb 21, 2016 02:40pm

Nowhere in the NFHS/NCAA rules does it say that slamming the ball is an automatic T.

I'm leaving this one alone.

johnny d Sun Feb 21, 2016 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 981854)
Just saw the video. I don't think I make that call at any point in any game I work; unless I have warned him previously or I'm asking him for the ball as he chucks it down the court. It's not going to delay anything.

I believe you mean JD Collins. Adams is no longer the head honcho.

Raymond Sun Feb 21, 2016 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 981854)

I haven't seen a good replay angle yet, but it appears the ball gets slammed in the direction of an opponent. I was expecting it to be one where he slams it to himself.

It's an unusual and unexpected act by the player. I'm not blaming an official for calling a Tech here.

Ed Maeder Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:08pm

Did anyone hear what the player was saying when he slammed the ball? He definitely was yelling something. I have no problem with the tech.

Valley Man Mon Feb 22, 2016 09:36am

The post game report was probably because Jay Bilas wouldn't shut up. He kept spewing what was going to happen and he wasn't even close. He is the one insisting that the opposing coach gets to choose. When R came and told him what the scenario was, you know he never said "I WAS WRONG".