The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Score book shenanigans

One starter for the visitor was marked wrong. #35 was marked as a starter, coach wanted #32. They had it right in their book, but it got copied over wrong. The R (my partner) had head coach look it over pregame and he signed off on it. Table notifies us pre-toss, Visitor coach whines but puts #35 in and takes #32 out. My partner issues a T! I notify him that the coach should be allowed to switch them out with no penalty. He doesn't take my advice. So now coach wants to go ahead and start #32 since he has to pay the penalty. I allow it. My partner informs me and coach that isn't allowable and makes #35 start. I looked it up after the game to make sure; Case play 3.2.2 clearly says the starters can be switched out without penalty, and the only time there is a penalty for this is if coach wants to go ahead and start #32 despite her not being marked as a starter. I did not always have coaches look over the book, but I will be doing so from now on for sure.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 04:23pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
One starter for the visitor was marked wrong. #35 was marked as a starter, coach wanted #32. They had it right in their book, but it got copied over wrong. The R (my partner) had head coach look it over pregame and he signed off on it. Table notifies us pre-toss, Visitor coach whines but puts #35 in and takes #32 out. My partner issues a T! I notify him that the coach should be allowed to switch them out with no penalty. He doesn't take my advice. So now coach wants to go ahead and start #32 since he has to pay the penalty. I allow it. My partner informs me and coach that isn't allowable and makes #35 start. I looked it up after the game to make sure; Case play 3.2.2 clearly says the starters can be switched out without penalty, and the only time there is a penalty for this is if coach wants to go ahead and start #32 despite her not being marked as a starter. I did not always have coaches look over the book, but I will be doing so from now on for sure.
If it is a transcription error by the scorers table, it is changed and no penalty is enforced.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 04:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Your partner couldn't have been more wrong, at every turn.

1. it's not a T. He provided correct information which is all that is required, scorer transcribed it wrong. Don't punish the visiting coach when the home scorer screws up.

2. Even if the coach did it wrong, it's EITHER a T or the coach starts the player marked. The T is for changing starters.

Your partner needs to go over the freaking rules.

I never have coaches look over the book, because it doesn't change anything. In this case, the coach should have been allowed to use the starter he had marked.

Again, don't penalize a coach because the scorer can't read.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
If it is a transcription error by the scorers table, it is changed and no penalty is enforced.
I agree. It sounds from the OP like the visiting team provided the correct information and the home book transcribed it incorrectly.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cluster#$@# at all angles.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I never have coaches look over the book, because it doesn't change anything. In this case, the coach should have been allowed to use the starter he had marked.
I don't have them look either, for the exact same reason. If you have them look it over after the 10 minute mark (which at least in my area is almost all you ever see for warmup time because they're trying to stay on schedule), then there is nothing they can change, so why worry about it?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I like this approach much better, but is this in the case/rule book? I guess the risk would be some coach changing his mind at the last minute and blaming the table. Agree that none of this is a big deal, but you know how bent out of shape some folks get about this stuff.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I like this approach much better, but is this in the case/rule book? I guess the risk would be some coach changing his mind at the last minute and blaming the table. Agree that none of this is a big deal, but you know how bent out of shape some folks get about this stuff.
Well, what is it that the rule book requires the coach to do at risk of being punished?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The coach only has to provide his roster and starters. If there is proof that what was provided was copied erroneously then we aren't going to penalize a coach.

Usually you ask to see what was provided to the home book.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I don't have them look either, for the exact same reason. If you have them look it over after the 10 minute mark (which at least in my area is almost all you ever see for warmup time because they're trying to stay on schedule), then there is nothing they can change, so why worry about it?
Not only that, but the coach is, by rule, not responsible for a scoring error even if you force him to sign the book.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The coach only has to provide his roster and starters. If there is proof that what was provided was copied erroneously then we aren't going to penalize a coach.

Usually you ask to see what was provided to the home bookofficial scorekeeper.
I consider the home book to be the book being kept on the home team's bench, if there is in fact one. What really matters is what's given to the official scorekeeper.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 06:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Why would you have a coach inspect the book? Cause your partner didn't know the rules?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 08:14pm
Stubborn Member

Take a look at the visitor book.

If the correct starter is marked there, you have evidence that it was a copying error. Allow the change in the home/official book... without penalty... and start the game.

If the visitor book is the same as the home/official book, which has a different starter, then move on to a tech to make a change or let the team switch the starter to what's in the book without penalty.

You don't have to be a hard-ass about everything.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I consider the home book to be the book being kept on the home team's bench, if there is in fact one. What really matters is what's given to the official scorekeeper.
In reality the home book 99.99% of the time IS the official scorekeeper.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 09:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
You don't have to be a hard-ass about everything.
This has nothing to do with being a hard ass. The crew chief kicked every rule associated with this situation.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk