The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Does anyone out there inspect book (verify score, fouls etc.) between 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th quarters?

NFHS Mechanics Manual indicates that referee should proceed to division line in preparation for throw in between quarters.

However, I notice a number referees who take the time to review score book not only at intermission, but also between quarters.

Your thoughts?

Trevor Schriver
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Between 1&2 qtr I go to my position at mid court make
eye contact with the scorer and we give each other the thumbs up if its okay. At half time I go to the table to flip the arrow at that time I check with the scorers from both teams asking if they are in line with the official book
(if they are at the table). At the end of the game I look over to the scorer before leaving the court if they give me the thumbs up we leave.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Almost never.

I do not think this is a good idea to do for the most part. You do not need to check, if there is a problem, they will call you over. You also give the coaches and assistant coaches an opportunity to take a cheap shot at you or over hear something you do not want to at that moment. Stay away from the benches at that moment and check during other dead ball situation, if you get the chance. If there ever is a problem the coaches and table people will call you over themselves about a problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by tschriver
Does anyone out there inspect book (verify score, fouls etc.) between 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th quarters?

NFHS Mechanics Manual indicates that referee should proceed to division line in preparation for throw in between quarters.

However, I notice a number referees who take the time to review score book not only at intermission, but also between quarters.

Your thoughts?
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I will go over between 1st & 2nd and also 3rd & 4th only if team fouls are not displayed on board. Obviously, I go over to get foul totals.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

If I have worked with my table personnel before, I make eye contact with them, and if they smile I know everything is okay. At intermission we go over to change the arrow and ask is everything okay.
When I travel to outlying areas in Alaska, I usual know in the first few minutes of the game if I need to inspect the book after each quarter.

Pre-game goes a long way with your table personnel!

AK ref SE
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 02:53pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I will go over between 1st & 2nd and also 3rd & 4th only if team fouls are not displayed on board. Obviously, I go over to get foul totals.
Mark,
The only reasons I go are over are for fouls not listed, or for Hot Dogs, or if they do that "come here thing" with their finger.
mick
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Mark,
The only reasons I go are over are for fouls not listed, or for Hot Dogs, or if they do that "come here thing" with their finger.
mick
Hot dogs?
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 04:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Mark,
mick
Hot dogs? [/B]
Gees, Dan.
Let me put it this way.
If the fouls are on the board,
if they don't do that finger thingy,
if they aren't selling Hot Dogs,
then I go stand at half court with the ball on my hip, cleverly dead ball officiating, and getting mentally prepared for every possiblity, that I can think of, that could occur during the rest of the game.
For the remaining 55 seconds, I wonder why my umpire is wandering around the floor like a chicken with his head cut off, instead of standing on the free throw line, or the blocks.
mick
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

I will always keep an eye on the table and they already know that i want to know of any discrepancy's ASAP, other then that at the end of the 2nd quarter i will meet my partner at the jump circle. After the teams have left the floor for the locker rooms we go over to the table and change the arrow and ask if the book and clock are all OK. We then leave for our locker room.

At the end of the 3rd quarter as referee i ask the time out situation for each team and give that to the coach's and off we go. I also take note of any players with 4 fouls and advise my partner so we don't have a "ticky tacky" be a 5th foul on a player.

Happy Holiday's

And Good Luck.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Mark,
mick
Hot dogs?
Gees, Dan.
Let me put it this way.
If the fouls are on the board,
if they don't do that finger thingy,
if they aren't selling Hot Dogs,
then I go stand at half court with the ball on my hip, cleverly dead ball officiating, and getting mentally prepared for every possiblity, that I can think of, that could occur during the rest of the game.
For the remaining 55 seconds, I wonder why my umpire is wandering around the floor like a chicken with his head cut off, instead of standing on the free throw line, or the blocks.
mick [/B]
So what you're saying is if they *are* selling those hot
dogs you're going over and buy 2 with a beer?
BTW, ya gotta love when they do that finger thingy. I
try to walk over with a smile, but I'm always thinking
"Man, we're about to go into the toilet". I'm not much
of an optimist, but I've learned that you can't possibly think of everything.

BTW, *THE BOX* kid says hi.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Interesting post...

Tonight, I did a sophomore game in which the hometeam coach informed us of a "last-minute substitution" book-keeper (Regular was sick).

My partner (13 yr vet, who has worked state tourney games) and I were as "polite" as we could be; however, the "sub" was not up to the task. Unfortunately, his ineptness also interefered with the performance of the student-volunteer timer. In this situation, we were forced to track mentally as much as we could which also undoubtedly detracted from our game as well.

Bottom line: Sometimes, more frequently at the "lower level" games, you will need to make those "visits" at the end of each quarter to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.

Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
For below Varsity level games I might check with the table a little more often. For varsity and above I go at half time and perhaps late in the game to determine # T/O left, and to just check that all is okay.

I usually tell the table crew that if there is a problem with the books get me over there during a dead ball.

Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Normally I check the books at the half and during TO's in the 4th, but there are situations that may require more trips to the table, for instance.

Last week I called a JV boys game where clock operator was stopping the clock on made shots. My partner said he thought he was stopping the clock, so the next time down the court I was watching for it, and sure enough ball goes in; clock stops. I sound my whistle, walk over and ask the guy has he been doing that the whole game, he says yes, so I explain the correct way and we get on with the game.

Not two minutes later during a pair of free throws I notice the number of team fouls on the score board has not changed. So once again I walk over to the table and ask the scorer (who is at best 14yrs old) if 6 is the correct number of team fouls, he counts and turns out there's 8, so one team has missed two sets of bonus throws. Needless to say I was somewhat frustrated and for the rest of game my partner or I was checking the table about as often as possible.

Old Sat Dec 23, 2000, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Lower level Snafu's

JoeD1

We had the other extreme (in above mentioned Soph game), the timer was not starting the clock. It gets very frustrating when you are forced to repeatedly correct the timekeeper, keep track of AP, team fouls, etc.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

The only time I go to the table is in the fourth quarter to verify whether teams have timeouts left (I don't care what kind they have left). I then inform my partner(s) that the teams either do or don't. Dead ball officiating keeps you out of trouble. I don't inform coaches of their timeouts remaining because that is not my job (assistant coaches, team scorers, managers, etc). The only reason I check for myself or my partner(s) is so that we all know what happens when we have a player or coach request a timeout. I only do this if I'm not responsible for administering the throw-in. Also, I only do this for high school ball. In college, we have been told to stay away from and never trust the table because they'll only get get you in trouble. It is stressed to us to know direction and setting of the arrow, team fouls, and time outs taken by each team. It sounds like a lot but once you get used to it, it is really not that hard to do.