The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
As others have said, there is no requirement or support for the concept that the coach reviewing and signing the official book absolves the scorer for his/her responsibilities. The official scorekeeper's responsibilities are clearly spelled out in 2-11 and the first line reads "The scorer shall: keep a record of the names and numbers of players..." (2-11-1). Rule 2-11-2 provides the scorer with instruction to "notify the nearer official when there is an infraction of the rules - pertaining to submission of the roster...". The scorer is solely responsible for what is in the book, and the team is solely responsible for submitting a roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
In my case I pull varsity rosters from MaxPreps and prep from that.When the varsity coaches show up I have them check and verify everything is correct before the officials are even out there.
I'm sure there are plenty of coaches that appreciate this level of prep, but the danger in doing this is that each team is required to "supply the official scorer with the name and number of each team member and designate the five starting players." (3-2-1). If you have gathered the information yourself and ask the coach to review it, the team has not technically met the requirement of this rule. If all of the information is correct, nobody has an issue and the game goes on. If, however, a mistake was made and the coach misses it, we come back to the point others have made about the team only has a responsibility to provide the information. In your situation, the problem is that there was no information provided by the team (you provided it) so what may have started off as a scorekeeper's error can't be corrected because the team didn't provide a roster because you already had everything in the book.

ps: I don't want this to come off as a criticism or condemnation...if this practice works for you, the teams and the referees, by all means continue with it. I only make this point to highlight what others have commented on regarding the responsibility of the team to provide the information.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:47pm
High Five Master

Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 06:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I know bookkeeping errors can be corrected at any time without penalty. No where did I say otherwise. You read that into my posts. And to be honest, you're not the only one that does that, and it drives me nuts. That same thing is done to others constantly, and not necessarily by you.

All I said... AGAIN... is to go ahead and do what you can to avoid giving that technical. Check the visitor/unofficial book... check the lineup given to them on a piece of paper... whatever. Just make sure it's not a mistake.

There are some people around here that need to read a post without assuming there's something wrong in there. If you have a question about what is said... ask. Don't automatically assume you're dealing with a moron.
I made no such assumptions. I'm operating based on this post from you, and admittedly it's driving the way I've read your subsequent posts.

Quote:
I was making a general statement about dealing with some situations. I don't believe the rule book allows officials to use the visitor book to prove that it was an error in copying the visiting team's starters into the home/official book. But if a situation like this came up, and I can see the visitor book had the "right" starters, then I'd let it go.

Yes, in the case brought up in the OP, the official messed up.
You say the rule book doesn't allow it, the reasonable takeaway is that you're saying the rule book requires a T but we should avoid it if we can.

I'll ask you, is that what you're saying?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 07:07pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I made no such assumptions. I'm operating based on this post from you, and admittedly it's driving the way I've read your subsequent posts.

You say the rule book doesn't allow it, the reasonable takeaway is that you're saying the rule book requires a T but we should avoid it if we can.

I'll ask you, is that what you're saying?
So the rule book says "if the starters are wrongly marked in the official scorebook, then check the visitors scorebook to see if there was a transcription error"?

I never said the rule book doesn't allow you to do that. I was saying that it's something an official can do on his own, meaning it's not specifically said to do in the rule book, to make sure it's not a case of the team presenting the wrong lineup/starters. It's a way to prove an error in copying the lineup/starters into the official book, which can then be corrected without error.

I know I'm not the most well-spoken person here, but I don't think it was that hard to understand what I've been saying.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

We also have an association heavy on people who ask the coaches to sign the bottom of the book verifying they have checked it (even at the subvarsity level).The officials here seem to like it especially because 99.999999995% of the time you have less than 10 minutes between JV girls and JV boys,JV boys and Var girls,or Var girls and Var boys.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 07:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Signing a scorebook signifies nothing.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 08:18pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Signing a scorebook signifies nothing.

I totally agree but as noted by others, my assn wants it done, no matter the level.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 09:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So the rule book says "if the starters are wrongly marked in the official scorebook, then check the visitors scorebook to see if there was a transcription error"?

I never said the rule book doesn't allow you to do that. I was saying that it's something an official can do on his own, meaning it's not specifically said to do in the rule book, to make sure it's not a case of the team presenting the wrong lineup/starters. It's a way to prove an error in copying the lineup/starters into the official book, which can then be corrected without error.

I know I'm not the most well-spoken person here, but I don't think it was that hard to understand what I've been saying.
OK, I think we're probably talking past each other.

The rule book says it's a T to change the starters after the 10 minute mark. If the coach submitted the correct starters to the scorer, but the scorer messed it up, the coach isn't changing his starters. There's no T that can or should be called.

If you think we're in agreement, we can let this go. If you think we disagree, you can still let it go. I'm good either way, but feel free to tell me what you think I'm missing. I'm clarifying again, only for the sake of clarifying.

In the OP, we are obligated to determine whether the coach correctly submitted his roster and starters before the deadline. Calling a T on the coach for changing a starter when, in fact, he submitted the correct starters, is wrong by rule.

Last edited by Adam; Wed Feb 10, 2016 at 09:52pm. Reason: clarity
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 09:53pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
OK, I think we're probably talking past each other.

The rule book says it's a T to change the starters after the 10 minute mark. If the coach submitted the correct starters to the scorer, but the scorer messed it up, the coach isn't changing his starters. There's no T that can or should be called.

If you think we're in agreement, we can let this go. If you think we disagree, you can still let it go. I'm good either way, but feel free to tell me what you think I'm missing. I'm clarifying again, only for the sake of clarifying.

In the OP, we are obligated to determine whether the coach correctly submitted his roster and starters before the deadline. Calling a T on the coach for changing a starter when, in fact, he submitted the correct starters, is wrong by rule.
I think we agree.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
"most likely"

Again... Where does the rule book say to use that book as proof of starters?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Who is trying to be argumentative? You have vets telling you how it's properly handled. What source do you use to prove the names and numbers were provided?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Feb 10, 2016 at 10:28pm.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:39pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Who is trying to be argumentative? You have vets telling you how it's properly handled. What source do you use to prove the names and numbers were provided?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
I've actually been conversing with one vet, not multiple vets.

And we worked the misunderstanding out.

I'm not going to reiterate what I've spent the past two days explaining. If you care about it enough then you can go back and read what I've been saying about the words "check the visitor book" being in the rule book.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I'm not going to reiterate what I've spent the past two days explaining. If you care about it enough then you can go back and read what I've been saying about the words "check the visitor book" being in the rule book.
They aren't, but it's "implied" in the part that says the coach's responsibility is to provide the information. Whether it's the Visitor book, a program, or some internet publication....

I'm not going straight to the visitor book, I'm asking the coach how he provided the information and we'll go from there.

Added: I know we're probably in agreement, I just wanted to address the part about the words not being in the book.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, this is where basketball needs to do what volleyball does. In volleyball, the coach has to turn in a roster and lineup sheet to the table at a specified time before the match and before each set.

In basketball, you can easily require the coaches to turn in a roster sheet with a column to list the starters. This would be the only legal way to turning in the roster/starters for a game. That paper, like in volleyball, would be required to stay at the table. Should an issue with the starters / roster come to the officials attention, there is one piece of paper that the officials can use to verify if the roster / starters was properly turned in. If the coach screwed up, they get the consequence. If the scorer screwed up, we fix the mistake and move on. With this required piece of paper, we avoid the confusion of "Where did you get the information from?" It comes from one specific, legally defined location, that is accessible to all parties involved.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Id prefer the baseball/Softball method, lineup card goes to the referee.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The words "check the visitor book" aren't in there, no. The concept of checking the lineup provided by the coach is. In many cases, particularly sub-varsity, the visiting book is that lineup. That is what you seem to be missing. We're not checking the visiting book because it's the visiting book but because it's the information provided by the coach to the scorer (except where he provided something else and then we're checking that).
Closed Thread