Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 09:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Did you see the OP and the video?
"They" are the officials in the video and referenced in the OP... The L should have a count sometime before the 12 seconds lapsed. Heck, the defender is wondering what he has to do - so he puts his hand on the offensive player...

What possible justification could there be for this?
Allowing him to hold for five and then starting the count would be wrong; but 12 seconds and no count is just... goofy!
Who justified it? You're painting all college officials with a broad brush based on one official. What does that one official have to do with me and other officials who do it properly?

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder concerning college officials.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 09:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What's clear is that you were flat out WRONG. Now do you have the manhood to admit it for once in your life or will we be subject to more double-speak?
Who really cares? Seriously.

Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 09:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Who justified it? You're painting all college officials with a broad brush based on one official. What does that one official have to do with me and other officials who do it properly?

He is probably like a lot of people here. When they see a college official do something, they lump them all together. But if high school only official does something, they are still working the righteous level. It is kind of funny if you ask me when I see a lot of individuals at the high school level cannot get a rule right, no one says, "Those darn high school officials just ignore the rules."

Peace
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 09:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Who really cares? Seriously.

He can talk to my patch.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 09:48pm
Administrator

I more concerned about the stupid "not a closely guarded situation signal". I remember when the Men's and Women's CCA Manuals adopted it. I didn't use when I was a college official and I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) have used the signal. I had a college coach ask me why I wasn't using the "not a closely guarded situation signal" because he couldn't tell if I had a closely guarded situation. I told him that I didn't need to and he asked why. I told him that if I am visibly counting I have a closely guarded situation and if I am not visibly counting I do not have a closely guarded situation. He gave me a puzzled look and then a light bulb lit up in his head, and he said that that made sense.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 09:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I more concerned about the stupid "not a closely guarded situation signal". I remember when the Men's and Women's CCA Manuals adopted it. I didn't use when I was a college official and I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) have used the signal. I had a college coach ask me why I wasn't using the "not a closely guarded situation signal" because he couldn't tell if I had a closely guarded situation. I told him that I didn't need to and he asked why. I told him that if I am visibly counting I have a closely guarded situation and if I am not visibly counting I do not have a closely guarded situation. He gave me a puzzled look and then a light bulb lit up in his head, and he said that that made sense.

MTD, Sr.
I think that signal is good when players are just standing still and not quite standing close enough. I have used this signal when coaches felt I should be counting. It gives information and more of our signals should give information.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 09:56pm
AremRed

Maybe the play in the OP is not something their supervisor wants called?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 10:11pm
Stubborn Member

I will use the "not closely guarded" signal when in a situation where a coach or player may think there should be closely-guarded count, as a way to communicate that yes... I am paying attention.

I'll also use it if I have a count, and then the dribbler moves away from the defender or the defender backs off.

I don't see a problem with using it as a means to communicate. The book doesn't say we should talk players out of trouble, but we do it anyway.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 10:42pm
Administrator

When I first started officiating I was taught by a very good H.S. basketball official: You have nothing until you have something. If I don't have a closely guarded situation I have nothing until I have a closely guarded situation and then I have something.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 10:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
When I first started officiating I was taught by a very good H.S. basketball official: You have nothing until you have something. If I don't have a closely guarded situation I have nothing until I have a closely guarded situation and then I have something.

MTD, Sr.
Yes but people question that we should have a count in many situations and certainly in the HS game where we do not have shot clock. Again, we cannot often tell everyone why we are doing something, this is an opportunity to do so during live ball.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 10:49pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
I totally understand that way of thinking. However, I don't understand why that signal is a problem.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 10:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Obvious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
... it's the same in NCAAW and NCAAM as of this season: six feet only when holding the ball in the frontcourt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... if you read Jet's post, it was IMO obvious what he was saying.
Very obvious. NCAA Women, and NCAA Men, are the same. Six feet. Holding. Frontcourt.

Quote:
Three feet for women.
Also, very obvious. NCAA Women. Three feet.

Both clear. Both obvious. Both easy to understand. Both can't be correct. One must be incorrect.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 07, 2016 at 11:05pm.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nothing Until I Have Something ...

Quote:
You have nothing until you have something. If I don't have a closely guarded situation I have nothing until I have a closely guarded situation and then I have something.
Connecticut IAABO (not international IAABO) went to a not closely guarded signal about ten years ago, then we switched back to not using the signal about five years ago.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"Who justified it?" I have no idea, but I'm sure there is some reasoning...
I think I asked a question: Do you think? Perhaps you're the one with the problem... You're taking the thread personal.
I watch college officials to learn, which is why I saw this.
The question is about the new rule perhaps making college officials lazy... I can't imagine another reason why this would get over looked to the tune of 12 seconds?
If it was a high school change and this happen - I'd say the same.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He is probably like a lot of people here. When they see a college official do something, they lump them all together. But if high school only official does something, they are still working the righteous level. It is kind of funny if you ask me when I see a lot of individuals at the high school level cannot get a rule right, no one says, "Those darn high school officials just ignore the rules."

Peace
I don't know what you're talking about, and it sounds like you don't either...
Check the OP and watch the video and see what you think of the CG situation.
I love all basketball officials - even you man!
Closed Thread