The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 16, 2002, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Question

If an offensive lineman grabs the shirt of a defensive lineman, and pushes him straight back (but does not impede his ability to move left or right), is the grip of the offensive lineman constitute "holding", or is it merely a grab?

Old Fri Aug 16, 2002, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

I asked this question in the association meeting a couple of weeks ago. A holding foul does not occur until the offensive lineman has gained unfair advantage in impeding the progress of the defensive player. So, the foul doesn't occur until the defensive player is going around the lineman and is grabbed.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri Aug 16, 2002, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
I agree with sleeper and I think the key word there is advantage. Just like all situations, we should only call those fouls that create an unfair advantage for one team (and of course the ones that affect player safety).

I think you'd have to look at this situation to ensure that the grabbing is indeed not impeding the defender's ability to move. Keep in mind he can always disengage and try again...that is unless the holding in this case prevents him from disengaging.

I'm no expert, but I don't know that the rulebook says anywhere that its okay to hold as long as you push the opponent backwards. While I agree that this likely isn't going to get called, I think it generally comes down to individual plays and deciding if there is an unfair advantage.
Old Sat Aug 17, 2002, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Let your good judgement be your guide.

When using the open hand technique the blocker's hands must remain open with his palms facing the opponent during the contact. By strict application of the blocking rules grabbing the opponent's jersey is a foul. It is either a foul for holding if it restrains an opponent from moving or a foul for illegal use of hands because it is a blocking technique not allowed by rule.

If I see the blocker grabbing his opponent's jersey near the point of attack and not releasing it as the runner goes past I'm going to throw my flag. In my judgement the blocker delays the defensive player long enough to allow the runner to get by. We need to be careful because some of these offensive linemen are so strong now they can grab and hold on and keep the defensive players in front of them during the block.

Same situation except I see the right tackle do this right after the snap (because he is my key to read run or pass) but the play is a quick pitch around the left end I'll hold my flag but warn the tackle between plays.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

We had a very good answer to this very question at our meeting last night from a Big Ten Umpire.
Watch the disengagement. If A has his hands on B's chest, it doesn't matter whether his hands are open or closed as long as he has "superior legs". Meaning that he has and maintains position between the defender and the ball. When (if) B beats the block A has to let him go. Holds result when A holds after K has gotten his shoulders past the block. If A maintains his position and B never gets past him, forget the hands, there is no hold. The key is whether A lets go when he is beaten, so watch for "takedowns and jersey stretchings" during and after the disengagement.
Anybody else agree with that?

[Edited by Tom Cook on Aug 22nd, 2002 at 07:45 PM]
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cook
We had a very good answer to this very question at our meeting last night from a Big Ten Umpire.
Watch the disengagement. If A has his hands on B's chest, it doesn't matter whether his hands are open or closed as long as he has "superior legs". Meaning that he has and maintains position between the defender and the ball. When (if) B beats the block A has to let him go. Holds result when A holds after K has gotten his shoulders past the block. If A maintains his position and B never gets past him, forget the hands, there is no hold. The key is whether A lets go when he is beaten, so watch for "takedowns and jersey stretchings" during and after the disengagement.

In a recent clinic, we were taught to "reward good technique" just as you say and I fully agree. If B doesn't do anything to beat the block, we won't flag it. I think this is more in line with the spirit of the rule.
Old Sat Aug 24, 2002, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cook

In a recent clinic, we were taught to "reward good technique" just as you say and I fully agree. If B doesn't do anything to beat the block, we won't flag it. I think this is more in line with the spirit of the rule.
Think about it, if A lineman has legs strong enough to push B back has A really gained an unfair advantage -- is strength an unfair advantage? Do we penalize A for spending more time in the weight room than B?

My rule for calling a hold is 1) a takedown, and 2) "nylon-stretching." A hold in close line play "only" occurs when B is beating A and A uses hand or whatever to impede B.
Old Sat Aug 24, 2002, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Philosophy on holding.

I was talking to a fellow official a while back regarding holding calls. He coached high school football for a few years. He said that he used to coach his defensive players to keep separated from the blocker, read the play, and pursue.

In other words, the defensive player needs to keep his arms extended against the blocker and not allow the blocker to get close. If the defensive player allows the blocker to get close in it really doesn't matter if the blockers hands are open or closed. The defensive player is already beat. I guess this is what you mean by the blocker having "superior legs".

Holding will usually occur when the opposite is true: the defender has beaten the blocker and as a last resort the blocker must resort to an illegal technique.

Thanks for helping me develop a sound philosophy regarding holding.