The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Holding/No Holding on Play w/ Fumble

Looking for opinions and interpretations:

Toss left and A32 is hit and fumbles backwards. The ball bounces back 5 yards or so and the defensive end, B92, is running towards the ball. The QB A12 wraps his arms around B92 and brings him to the ground.

Holding/Illegal Use of Hand or no call.

I have read 2-3-4c and 2-3-5c and 9-2 and it isn't cut and dry to me.

My thoughts are it is still holding/illegal use of hands. Others have said there is no holding on players going for a loose ball.

Thoughts, references are apprecaited.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Holding.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Remember Rule 2 are the definitions. There are no fouls in Rule 2. 2-3-4 defines actions that offensive players can/can't do. 2-3-4c says he can use hands or arms when blocking: To push, pull or ward off an opponent when the ball is loose if he may legally touch or possess the ball if such contact is not pass interference, a personal foul or illegal use of hands.

Now go to 9-2-1 as it describes what's illegal for offensive players. 9-2-1a is IUH. 9-2-1c says it's holding for an offensive player to use his hands, arms or legs to hook, lock, clamp, grasp, encircle or hold in an effort to restrain an opponent.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0254 View Post
Looking for opinions and interpretations:

Toss left and A32 is hit and fumbles backwards. The ball bounces back 5 yards or so and the defensive end, B92, is running towards the ball. The QB A12 wraps his arms around B92 and brings him to the ground.

Holding/Illegal Use of Hand or no call.

I have read 2-3-4c and 2-3-5c and 9-2 and it isn't cut and dry to me.

My thoughts are it is still holding/illegal use of hands. Others have said there is no holding on players going for a loose ball.

Thoughts, references are apprecaited.
It is my understanding that A12 CAN hold B92 in an effort to recover the loose ball HIMSELF, but he cannot hold B92 so that a TEAMMATE can recover the loose ball. The same would go for B.

I don't have a reference though.

I could be wrong too...
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
2-3-4c says he can use hands or arms when blocking: To push, pull or ward off an opponent when the ball is loose if he may legally touch or possess the ball if such contact is not pass interference, a personal foul or illegal use of hands.
I've always found this provision troubling: how can a player pull another player without holding him?

"Pushing" and "warding off" can be done within the restrictions that prohibit holding. I don't understand how pulling could be.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbuz View Post
It is my understanding that A12 CAN hold B92 in an effort to recover the loose ball HIMSELF, but he cannot hold B92 so that a TEAMMATE can recover the loose ball. The same would go for B.

I don't have a reference though.

I could be wrong too...
Rule 2-3-4 and 2-3-5. A player can 'pull' and opponent to get to the runner or a loose ball.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
Rule 2-3-4 and 2-3-5. A player can 'pull' and opponent to get to the runner or a loose ball.
As noted above, NF:2-3-4c, allows the offensive player to do certain things, but specifically excludes, "pass interference, personal foul and illegal use of the hands."

NF: 9-2-1c defines Illegal Use of the Hands (for an offensive player) to prohibit, "Use his hands, arms, or legs to hook, lock, clamp, grasp, encircle or hold in an effort to restrain an opponent."

The intent seems clear that an offensive player is allowed to "pull" an opponent out of the way in an effort to recover a loose ball, but action designed or intended to restrain an opponent is illegal.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
As noted above, NF:2-3-4c, allows the offensive player to do certain things, but specifically excludes, "pass interference, personal foul and illegal use of the hands."

NF: 9-2-1c defines Illegal Use of the Hands (for an offensive player) to prohibit, "Use his hands, arms, or legs to hook, lock, clamp, grasp, encircle or hold in an effort to restrain an opponent."

The intent seems clear that an offensive player is allowed to "pull" an opponent out of the way in an effort to recover a loose ball, but action designed or intended to restrain an opponent is illegal.
As I posted above, 9-2-1c is holding. 9-2-1a is illegal use of hands. Illegal use of hands is any violation of the definitions found in 2-3.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE
The intent seems clear that an offensive player is allowed to "pull" an opponent out of the way in an effort to recover a loose ball, but action designed or intended to restrain an opponent is illegal.[/QUOTE]

I'm with ajmc here. Although seeing this, judging it quickly and correctly with all the bodies flying around and then flagging it may be another matter ...