The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I will use the "not closely guarded" signal when in a situation where a coach or player may think there should be closely-guarded count, as a way to communicate that yes... I am paying attention.

I'll also use it if I have a count, and then the dribbler moves away from the defender or the defender backs off.

I don't see a problem with using it as a means to communicate. The book doesn't say we should talk players out of trouble, but we do it anyway.
Do you pregame this?
Would it be odd to be in a game where one official is and the other(s) aren't?
Also, does this communicate that we're alert and engaged?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:54pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Do you pregame this?
Would it be odd to be in a game where one official is and the other(s) aren't?
Also, does this communicate that we're alert and engaged?
No

I've never had anyone, partner, observer, or otherwise, tell me if was wrong or odd or bad.

Maybe, maybe not. But I've yet to hear it's a problem or bad idea. If I do, then I'll adjust.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:16am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Very obvious. NCAA Women, and NCAA Men, are the same. Six feet. Holding. Frontcourt.

Also, very obvious. NCAA Women. Three feet.

Both clear. Both obvious. Both easy to understand. Both can't be correct. One must be incorrect.
Billy, he's never going to say he was wrong. Better to just leave it alone.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
"Who justified it?" I have no idea, but I'm sure there is some reasoning...
I think I asked a question: Do you think? Perhaps you're the one with the problem... You're taking the thread personal.
I watch college officials to learn, which is why I saw this.
The question is about the new rule perhaps making college officials lazy... I can't imagine another reason why this would get over looked to the tune of 12 seconds?
If it was a high school change and this happen - I'd say the same.
You're obviously stuck on this one official as a representative of all officials.

I'm a college and I use the mechanic. I just looked at the video from my last game and I used it 7 seconds into the game, then again 4 seconds later, then my crew chief 7 seconds later; three times on the first possession of the game.

Why don't you ask one of your mentors who is a college official if he is lazy? Why don't you send an email to the official in question and ask him why he doesn't use it? Why ask random folks who had nothing to do with that official or that game?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 08, 2016 at 12:52am.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You're obviously stuck on this one official as a representative of all officials.

I'm a college and I use the mechanic. Why don't you send an email to the official in question and adk him why he doesn't use it?

You seem stuck.
The OP wasn't about one official, though now that you're stuck on it; I think I see how you got that from the OP.
The OP was about closely guarded five seconds and my question was; is the new rule perhaps to blame for this blatant overlooking of the obvious. Now, you may feel like this is an insult to the game officials... wasn't m intent!
I'm sure these are excellent officials and I can't imagine why they aren't counting?
BTW: I started the post off by saying I worked college on Saturday. I watch other officials to learn and happen to see this - figured it'd make for a good discussion... didn't know you'd read it as an indictment on every official that works college?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Very obvious. NCAA Women, and NCAA Men, are the same. Six feet. Holding. Frontcourt.
Billy, we (NCAAW) were three feet/holding anywhere on the court for a few seasons until 2013-14. The rules committee changed to six feet/frontcourt only that season and gave the following rationale:

Quote:
With the adoption of the 10-second back court violation count, there was no need for a closely guarded count on a hold in the back court. In addition, extending the closely guarded distance from 3 feet to 6 feet will encourage defenders to not have to guard the ball handler so closely which should decrease contact on the dribbler.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:45am
Administrator

The biggest reason I don't use the "not closely guarded signal"? I am 64 years old and it takes energy to have to hold my arms out and that is energy that I can use to "run" up and down the court, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 02:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Also, very obvious. NCAA Women. Three feet.

Both clear. Both obvious. Both easy to understand. Both can't be correct. One must be incorrect.
A couple things. I said that Jet's post was clear. It was. He knows women's rules. He spoke on the topic he has made it very clear he knows and does on a regular basis. I never disagreed with his post or said he was wrong or said my post was right either. Actually I did not even see his post when I responded to you the first time. I never even suggested I was right. I said what I knew the rule to be and Jet made is position very clear. I said nothing and basically have been ignoring you because you tend to major in the minors a lot on this site and seemingly in your officiating, so I left it alone. If you do not trust Jet on his knowledge of women's basketball, then you really have not been paying attention to his posts for some time now. He often is spot on with what is going on at that level from what supervisors say and what that level focuses on. I work Men's college and usually my games are after the women's games. I tend to not watch them often as I am worried about my games, I know those rules and have to adjudicate those rules on the men's side. I know of many of the differences, but not all of them. That is why I said to you, Jet's post was clear. But as usual that was not good enough for you as usual. I am surprised you did post a silly picture that you found on the internet when you can not only look up these rules on the NCAA website, but you can look in the back of your own rulebook and see the differences. If everything has to be spelled out for you, well then that is why many other questions you have never get answered.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 07:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Direct Opposition ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I never disagreed with his post or said he was wrong or said my post was right either.
Disagreed? Literally, true. Wrong? Literally, true. Those words were never posted.

Quote:
Three feet for women.
This post (above) was in direct opposition to JetMetFan's post.

One post was in error. Maybe it should have been acknowledged by the poster as being incorrect, once said poster realized that he was wrong. That's what I, and many other Forum members would have done.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 08, 2016 at 07:30am.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 07:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Forum ...

Quote:
... when you can not only look up these rules on the NCAA website, but you can look in the back of your own rulebook and see the differences.
True, but I've also got a great resource here on the Forum, often getting a reliable answer in a matter of minutes.

I initially believed JRutledge's post (three feet) to be true because we use three feet for girls prep school games here in Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 08, 2016 at 07:32am.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
True, but I've also got a great resource here on the Forum, often getting a reliable answer in a matter of minutes.

I initially believed JRutledge's post (three feet) to be true because we use three feet for girls prep school games here in Connecticut.
What is your point? JMF is an NCAA Women's official; you should know that by now and you should know his rules citation for women is more reliable than Jeff's. Why should anything else matter? If you read conflicting information here, then do your own due diligence instead of relying on other people to do it for you.

As usual you are focused on the most unimportant part of the conversation.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 08, 2016 at 08:48am.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

This thread has so many examples of the worst in Internet message boards. OP, you clearly attempted to indict most or all college officials for ignoring a rule with a single example of the rule being ignored. The plural of anecdote is not data. You offended several of the college officials who frequent this board.

Then another longtime member was wrong about something". No big deal and no shame on him; it was from a rule set he doesn't use because he doesn't work women's college basketball. Rather than own it, he attempts several times to obfuscate it. Just own it and move on.

Here's all we needed to respond to the OP: Yes, this play needed a count, and the official erred in not doing so. It's possible his assigner doesn't want that called. No, this one example doesn't mean this is being widely ignored and several experienced members have assured you that they don't see it being ignored. Next time, don't try to paint with such a broad brush unless you can back it up.

We've got a great community here with so much experience and many levels. I hate when these discussions devolve into something like this.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
This thread has so many examples of the worst in Internet message boards. OP, you clearly attempted to indict most or all college officials for ignoring a rule with a single example of the rule being ignored. The plural of anecdote is not data. You offended several of the college officials who frequent this board.

Then another longtime member was wrong about something". No big deal and no shame on him; it was from a rule set he doesn't use because he doesn't work women's college basketball. Rather than own it, he attempts several times to obfuscate it. Just own it and move on.

Here's all we needed to respond to the OP: Yes, this play needed a count, and the official erred in not doing so. It's possible his assigner doesn't want that called. No, this one example doesn't mean this is being widely ignored and several experienced members have assured you that they don't see it being ignored. Next time, don't try to paint with such a broad brush unless you can back it up.

We've got a great community here with so much experience and many levels. I hate when these discussions devolve into something like this.

Well stated. Many of our originally posted questions get off on wild tangent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Disagreed? Literally, true. Wrong? Literally, true. Those words were never posted.

This post (above) was in direct opposition to JetMetFan's post.

One post was in error. Maybe it should have been acknowledged by the poster as being incorrect, once said poster realized that he was wrong. That's what I, and many other Forum members would have done.
Funny you did not seem to read the post that said that Jet's post was clear and Jet is knowledgeable about women's college ball. And as stated again, you can find the dumbest references to other things but cannot look in the back of the rulebook on page 75 (2015-2016 Major Basketball Rules Differences) that states the difference, but you act ignit like you need our information on this site to know the answer. Actually the NF Rulebook only references women's basketball and does not even reference Men's rules on this issue as the closely guarded rule changed in Men's basketball.

But hey, you major in the minors. How about acknowledging you do not know how to look up this information? No, please don't because I honestly do not care what you say on the matter or admit. You are doing what you typically do.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaref View Post
what's clear is that you were flat out wrong. Now do you have the manhood to admit it for once in your life or will we be subject to more double-speak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
why don't you come out here and see what real manhood is? Because all that crap you love to talk would get you run out of here. Don't believe me, ask your friend from that way. Something tells me they would eat you alive.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaref View Post
notice there's still no admission from rut that he was dead wrong.
He's running his playbook: Dodge the question, change the topic, point a finger elsewhere, do anything to distract people from the fact at hand.

It is crystal clear that his ego just can't take it.
Quote:
there is nothing to admit dumbazz. I do not work women's college basketball.
How you like them apples. I don't have to like someone i know.

peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
who really cares? Seriously.

Sent from my sph-l900 using tapatalk
Quote:
he can talk to my patch.

peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by okref View Post
billy, he's never going to say he was wrong. Better to just leave it alone.
can't we all just get along?!?!?!