The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Injured player and free throws

Team A player goes up for a shot gets hit and lands badly. Got the foul on Team B with a shooting foul. Coach takes Team A player out for injury (Walking lightly on his foot but goes off under own power). Coach B questioning saying that player could shoot he free throws. I explained an injured player may be replaced but just sit out at least one tick of the clock. I said this with figuring I knew the rule. Came home to check the rule and now I can't find it! Can anyone help me find this in the case/rule book NFHS
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole4088 View Post
Team A player goes up for a shot gets hit and lands badly. Got the foul on Team B with a shooting foul. Coach takes Team A player out for injury (Walking lightly on his foot but goes off under own power). Coach B questioning saying that player could shoot he free throws. I explained an injured player may be replaced but just sit out at least one tick of the clock. I said this with figuring I knew the rule. Came home to check the rule and now I can't find it! Can anyone help me find this in the case/rule book NFHS

Concussion protocol? I'd say to the other coach, we are not doctors, if the coach came on the floor to help his player off, we are bringing in a sub to shoot the free throws.

Art 3-3-6 should help
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:35pm
This IS My Social Life

3-3-4
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Got it. Thanks fellas.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

8-2
We are stuck as referees when a kid appears hurt and coach wants him out. If you make him stay and he was hurt you have a problem. A coach can take advantage of it but not much you can do. Not doctors as you say.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Good one. This is definitely a gray area. The rule states that if the player is able, he shoots. So I'd ask the player before I listen to the coach. If, on the other hand, you think the player is at risk if he continues to play, you allow the coach to sub regardless of what the player says. I think some officiating judgment is required in this situation.

I like the NCAA rule; it takes this kind of coach jackassery out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:45pm
Stubborn Member

On today's "sue, sue, sue" world there's no way I'm making a kid stay on the court if I have reason to believe he could be hurt.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

There were some other things associated with why I feel the coach wasn't trying to pull a fast one. The player injured was a good player and had just went 2 for 2 on last free throw attempts. The kid took a good amount of time to even get up. I'm not putting a kid at further risk of making an injury worse. If the trainer says he may come back then so be it.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 01:27am
Do not give a damn!!

The NCAA addressed this so that if a player is hurt and it is not a Flagrant Foul (which would could call an intentional) then the shooter could be chosen by the opponent.

I do not think that would be necessarily appropriate for the high school game considering that we do not want to give incentive for an injured player to stay on the floor, but unfortunately or fortunately we do not have such a rule. But I do not see many kids completely faking an injury for this purpose either.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 04:51am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The NCAA addressed this so that if a player is hurt and it is not a Flagrant Foul (which would could call an intentional) then the shooter could be chosen by the opponent.

I do not think that would be necessarily appropriate for the high school game considering that we do not want to give incentive for an injured player to stay on the floor, but unfortunately or fortunately we do not have such a rule. But I do not see many kids completely faking an injury for this purpose either.

Peace

I don't think that it is appropriate at the college level either.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 09:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... Coach B questioning saying that player could shoot he free throws....
My irritation with Coach B would clearly show when I respond to that statement.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 11:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Good one. This is definitely a gray area. The rule states that if the player is able, he shoots. So I'd ask the player before I listen to the coach. If, on the other hand, you think the player is at risk if he continues to play, you allow the coach to sub regardless of what the player says. I think some officiating judgment is required in this situation.

I like the NCAA rule; it takes this kind of coach jackassery out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's no gray in the rule. It's as clear as can be.

Bring the sub in, let the sub shoot, the injured player sits til the clock runs. Don't get involved in this. If the coach OR the player says the player is injured, that's all you need to know.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
There were some other things associated with why I feel the coach wasn't trying to pull a fast one. The player injured was a good player and had just went 2 for 2 on last free throw attempts. The kid took a good amount of time to even get up. I'm not putting a kid at further risk of making an injury worse. If the trainer says he may come back then so be it.
That tells me B coach knew the kid was hurt and wanted him to attempt his FTs injured so he (B) would gain an advantage. His leash just got tightened considerably.