The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I realize preventive officiating could have made all this nonsense go away but what if...

Situation: NF Please
A foul is called on B1 for a hand check on A1. Team A is in the bonus but as they line up to shoot the lead bounces the ball to the free thrower A2 who has lined up to accept the free throw. A2 accepts the ball and before A2 shoots the trail says that A2 is not the shooter A1 is supposed to be the shooter and wacks team A with a T for having the wrong player accept the free throw.
My questions are:
Who does the T belong to?
Does A lose their free throws?
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
i didnt know a T was supposed to be called, was it?
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
I realize preventive officiating could have made all this nonsense go away but what if...

A foul is called on B1 for a hand check on A1. Team A is in the bonus but as they line up to shoot the lead bounces the ball to the free thrower A2 who has lined up to accept the free throw. A2 accepts the ball and before A2 shoots the trail says that A2 is not the shooter A1 is supposed to be the shooter and wacks team A with a T for having the wrong player accept the free throw.
My questions are:
Was there intent to deceive, or merely a mistake of the official by not notifying the shooter or his partner?
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

My questions are:
Was there intent to deceive, or merely a mistake of the official by not notifying the shooter or his partner?

I believe the intent was to deceive.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties
SECTION 3 PLAYER TECHNICAL
A player shall not:
ART. 8 . . . Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:
f. Knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled.

You can call the T if you believe that there was an intent to deceive. If it is an honest mistake (e.g., you call an off-ball foul and player with ball goes to shoot the FT), no T. In this case, it doesn't sound like there was cause for confusion, but you may want to confer before assessing a T just to be sure. You should never T the misunderstanding, just the willful unsporting act. with the T, you now empty the lane and let A1 shoot, then B selects a shooter for the T, then B inbounds opposite the table.

In addition and BTW, if A2 had shot one or both FTs before you noticed, regardless of the result OR the intent, this is a correctable error (timeliness of noticing the error is also relevant- see correctable errors). You would have A1 shoot the FTs, then go to the shots for the T if you felt that A2 had intentionally tried to shoot for A1.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

My questions are:

Then we hafta Whack 'im.
I've never seen that happen.
I wonder if I have been deceived.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
[/QUOTE]
Then whack away. 10-3-8f. It's charged to the player. Put the right shooter on the line for the bonus FTs, then head to the other end to shoot the T. Ball to team B at midcourt.

chuck
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Would you not shoot the T first?

Is that a difference between NF and NCAA?

Just curious
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Would you not shoot the T first?

Is that a difference between NF and NCAA?

Just curious
Yes.
Fed doesn't use POI for Technicals.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
canuckref, original situation asked for a FED ruling. In FED, you always penalize fouls in the order in which they occur. So in this case, you still shoot the bonus first (b/c that foul happened first), then shoot the T.

In NCAA, you'd use the POI.

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

No, A1 still shoots the free throws for the PF.

For me to call that "T" there would have to be obvious intent. Especially the first go round. Who knows the circumstances, i quess you HTBT, but I'm inclined to give a warning and move the correct shooter to the line. Now if it happens a second time, that's a different story.

BTW, if A2 had shot one or both the free throws you have a correctable error situation.
(Sorry, I didn't fully read Hawks Coach's post ~ guess he covered this)

Blakchawk

[Edited by Blackhawk357 on Feb 19th, 2003 at 03:14 PM]