The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsumguy3 View Post
This is just me...I wait until B has finished their possession and A is in team control. Then I stop the game and make the head coach aware that he has a player that has left the bench and ask if he is aware. Second, I'd ask if an assistant has accompanied him.

If he's alone, I'd say something akin to 'for his safety, we need him back out here. I'm sure you understand.'
And the coach will look at you like you're a moron.

You have no rules support to ask if an assistant accompanied him to the locker room. Leave any of that to the coach. Players leave the bench to go to the bathroom/locker room all the time. As far as I'm concerned, that's an authorized reason. The intent of the rule is to penalize team members who leave the bench to demonstrate disgust or otherwise show unsportsmanlike behavior. Nothing more.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 11:14am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
If I were the coach, id look at you like you were from Mars and say…"Safety? He's 17 years old…." If you are going to do something i'd say get him back out here...the rule requires he stay.

Now, if he is just heading to the locker room (not acting like an idiot) I'm not getting involved, at all. I don't care if he asked his coach for permission or not.
Here, if a team member leaves the bench and goes to the locker room, he must be accompanied by a coach, assistant coach, or and administrator. Otherwise they must remain on the bench. The reasoning we have been given is for player safety.

Last edited by OKREF; Thu Feb 04, 2016 at 11:17am.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I would not do any of this, nor would I recommend this to anyone. The OP, from what was described, was incorrect in.

1) giving the T
2) giving the T to the wrong individual
OP doesn't say he gave the T to the player, just that he called the T . . .
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not a tech unless done in an unsporting manner. Just like I'm not gonna call a tech for a kid changing his jersey in the bench area due to blood. Not the purpose of the rule.
Where does it say what the purpose for the rule is?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Here, if a team member leaves the bench and goes to the locker room, he must be accompanied by a coach, assistant coach, or and administrator. Otherwise they must remain on the bench. The reasoning we have been given is for player safety.
Is that a rule for officials or a rule for coaches / teams?

I seem to recall that an official can't SEND the team member to the lockerroom unaccompanied; but I don't know that it's up to us to monitor what happens after we send the player to the bench.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not a tech unless done in an unsporting manner. Just like I'm not gonna call a tech for a kid changing his jersey in the bench area due to blood. Not the purpose of the rule.
Actually, the intent of the rule is to assess a "T" even in that situation. You have to go all the way back to when the NFHS issued it's interps regarding the rule ... 2005 season.

SITUATION 5: A1 is directed to leave the game with a blood-saturated jersey. While at the team bench area, he/she removes the jersey and changes into a clean, spare jersey. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul. Team B is awarded two free throws and the ball for a division line throw-in. COMMENT: The uniform rule is intended to be applied in all situations. It is not unreasonable to expect team members to leave the playing area to change uniforms. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:15pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Where does it say what the purpose for the rule is?
Nowhere as far as I know, which is unfortunate.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:18pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Actually, the intent of the rule is to assess a "T" even in that situation. You have to go all the way back to when the NFHS issued it's interps regarding the rule ... 2005 season.

SITUATION 5: A1 is directed to leave the game with a blood-saturated jersey. While at the team bench area, he/she removes the jersey and changes into a clean, spare jersey. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul. Team B is awarded two free throws and the ball for a division line throw-in. COMMENT: The uniform rule is intended to be applied in all situations. It is not unreasonable to expect team members to leave the playing area to change uniforms. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)
Cool! Unfortunately I don't think that interp is present in the current rules book. As some might know I am hesitant to apply rules based on interpretations from many years ago (eg. the technical foul for teams running around the opposing players warming up).

If I can't open my current rule book and point to it, why should I be applying it?
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:26pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is that a rule for officials or a rule for coaches / teams?

I seem to recall that an official can't SEND the team member to the lockerroom unaccompanied; but I don't know that it's up to us to monitor what happens after we send the player to the bench.
Correct as for us as an official. I'm not monitoring what happens when/if an ejected or disqualified player leaves the bench and goes to the lockerroom. Only if I send him will I ensure that he doesn't go alone. If I remember correctly the schools were also sent the same email and they were responsible for attending to the player.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Cool! Unfortunately I don't think that interp is present in the current rules book. As some might know I am hesitant to apply rules based on interpretations from many years ago (eg. the technical foul for teams running around the opposing players warming up).

If I can't open my current rule book and point to it, why should I be applying it?
Because the rule is quite clear without the interpretation. It's one thing when the rule is ambiguous, or even says the opposite of the existing interpretations, but this isn't one of those cases.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not touching this one. If the coach sends his player to the locker room.

1. I'm considering that authorized.
2. I'm assuming there's someone there to watch him.

This is not something we should be involved with, IMO, unless the kid is disrupting play or making unsporting comments or gestures.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsumguy3 View Post
This is just me...I wait until B has finished their possession and A is in team control. Then I stop the game and make the head coach aware that he has a player that has left the bench and ask if he is aware. Second, I'd ask if an assistant has accompanied him.

If he's alone, I'd say something akin to 'for his safety, we need him back out here. I'm sure you understand.'
For you and the sake of your future partners... please don't do this.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Because the rule is quite clear without the interpretation. It's one thing when the rule is ambiguous, or even says the opposite of the existing interpretations, but this isn't one of those cases.
If you want to die on that hill, go ahead. You're not incorrect in your assessment. But I'll pick my battles and leave well-enough alone on this one. I've always heard guys say "don't go searching for T's, they'll find you." I think in this case, you're hunting for one.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I agree. Sort of. However, if I know a player has blood on his shirt and needs to change, I'm miraculously paying no attention to anyone but the players on the court. In other words, it's not something I'm meticulously watching for.
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I agree. Sort of. However, if I know a player has blood on his shirt and needs to change, I'm miraculously paying no attention to anyone but the players on the court. In other words, it's not something I'm meticulously watching for.
Why not simply give the coach a quiet reminder before the kid takes off the shirt?