The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Just a rough night...

JV boys game, 3-man. I had probably six block/charge plays that came right at me. First half was going smoothly, until one block/charge play that went against V. V's coach loudly tells me "YOU'RE CRAZY!" Whack #1. Second half, my less experienced partner has another block/charge that goes against V, and the coach jumps off the bench and starts stomping his feet in disgust. I called his second T from C opposite table. He then stared me down for probably thirty seconds before leaving the court (which I included in my report).

I could've sent him when he made a comment to one of my partners along the lines of "I'm glad you called that because your buddy [referring to me] wasn't going to." I'm actually pissed that my partner didn't toss him on that because I had to clean up after him later.

I'm frustrated. Because I felt like I was the only one that was willing to take care of business tonight. The most senior partner on my crew just coddled the coaches the entire game, including the V coach after I'd already booted him.

But my biggest regret was that although I took care of business with the V coach, I didn't have the stones to T the H coach. He was not demonstrative, but asked for explanations on every call and insisted on officiating for us. I tried to hard to be a "communicator" with him, rather than shutting him up, which I should've done. I guess in the moment I just didn't want to be the official that called three T's on coaches in one night. Ugh.

Anyway, this game ends up going into OT, and we have a mini-scuffle late in the period and the H assistant coach runs onto the court. So he got tossed, too. The acting V head coach and the H coach were jawing at each other in OT. We got the hell off the court as soon as that final horn sounded.

Just a rough night. Mad at myself for not taking care of business enough, mad at my partners for not taking care of business at all. Guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
It is and we learn. It seems there was some sort of disconnect among the crew. Did you talk about what was going on during halftime or dead balls? That might have eliminated some of the "togetherness" issues.

Just a thought.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It is and we learn. It seems there was some sort of disconnect among the crew. Did you talk about what was going on during halftime or dead balls? That might have eliminated some of the "togetherness" issues.

Just a thought.
I was fed up with the "veteran" on the crew for carrying on extended conversations with the coaches and not taking care of business. I told him at one point that we need to stop putting up with it. It just went in one ear and out the other I felt like. It was ridiculous that I had to give the V coach his second T. Not that I have a problem with it, it's just annoying that neither of the other two had the balls to stick him.

Of course, I say that and I didn't stick the H coach when I should have.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

I work football and those comments wouldn't even draw a thought to me. He's mostly disagreeing with judgement calls which is understandable. He is biased and has a different perspective. If he's not calling you a cheater or cursing at you, he is just blowing off steam. Maybe that's why your partners had a different threshold.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I work football and those comments wouldn't even draw a thought to me.
How is this relevant?
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I work football and those comments wouldn't even draw a thought to me. He's mostly disagreeing with judgement calls which is understandable. He is biased and has a different perspective. If he's not calling you a cheater or cursing at you, he is just blowing off steam. Maybe that's why your partners had a different threshold.

Yeah, but you football guys are crazy.

I like how they put it in soccer: public, persistent, or personal. Yelling "You're crazy!" is both public and personal and an easy T. The second comment is challenging his integrity and is right on the line if not over it.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 08:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

The comment the V coach YELLED across the court is easily T-worthy. The 2nd T wasn't for a comment, it was for being up and demonstrating disgust after getting the seat belt.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
The second comment is challenging his integrity and is right on the line if not over it.
If a coach who has already been seatbelted, stands up and yells and stops his feet to protest a call, his actions are well over the line. I learned when I started reffing intramurals that sometimes you just have to take care of business and try not to worry about the fact that you're the only one on your crew with the stones to do it.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

"You're crazy" is personal. It's a technical in basketball and 15 in football. In baseball it's an ejection.

Standing and stomping in disgust after getting a technical already? Good bye.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 09:08am
Back from the DL

Quote:
I like how they put it in soccer: public, persistent, or personal.
Don't forget "profane." And yes, "you're crazy" is a T/yellow card (unless you think the coach is trying to stop the clock with a card. In that case, take your time on the restart).

bballref3966, there's no substitute for experience. You earned some experience last night.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
If a coach who has already been seatbelted, stands up and yells and stops his feet to protest a call, his actions are well over the line. I learned when I started reffing intramurals that sometimes you just have to take care of business and try not to worry about the fact that you're the only one on your crew with the stones to do it.
The second comment was the "glad you called it because your partner wasn't going to." not the foot stomp.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 09:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The second comment was the "glad you called it because your partner wasn't going to." not the foot stomp.
It's a personal comment directed at an official. And after already being T'd up, he's taking a chance that comment could send him. That's questioning an official's integrity in my book.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's a personal comment directed at an official. And after already being T'd up, he's taking a chance that comment could send him. That's questioning an official's integrity in my book.
I read it as questioning his competence, but it could really be read either way.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I would never consider a UNS for a coach who says "you're crazy." He's frustrated because a call went against him and in his judgement is wrong. It sounds like basketball had a different threshold which may have as much to do with how much more visible a coach is. I have no issue with you guys calling that in your games.

I was at a game Friday night and the visiting coach took off his coat and threw it on the ground after a kicked ball call that prevented his team from getting a turnover. The play happened directly in front of me and I agreed with the coach (my kids attend the home school). An official was just fooled somehow. It happens. There was no T but it could have been because none of then saw it. He had complained a free times earlier but I have no idea what he said and he never got a T. I thought the crew did a good job considering I don't know rules and mechanics for basketball.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 10:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I would never consider a UNS for a coach who says "you're crazy." He's frustrated because a call went against him and in his judgement is wrong. It sounds like basketball had a different threshold which may have as much to do with how much more visible a coach is. I have no issue with you guys calling that in your games.

I was at a game Friday night and the visiting coach took off his coat and threw it on the ground after a kicked ball call that prevented his team from getting a turnover. The play happened directly in front of me and I agreed with the coach (my kids attend the home school). An official was just fooled somehow. It happens. There was no T but it could have been because none of then saw it. He had complained a free times earlier but I have no idea what he said and he never got a T. I thought the crew did a good job considering I don't know rules and mechanics for basketball.
Removing and throwing your jacket is an "automatic" T in NCAA-Men's. Have to ask Baylor's coach if the same philosophy applies on the women's side.