The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Based on my experience in football, we worry more about things that question our integrity. To me, "You're crazy" is just another way of saying he disagrees with my judgement. That will happen on a block/charge where he is biased and the official understands the rule. If he says "learn the rule" or "you're screwing us" then he's cruising the line to integrity. There is still a little difference in football because nobody in the stands is likely aware he said anything, but basketball is more visible. I definitely understand that.
If he says that he has already crossed the integrity line and is getting whacked.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

On another note I am amazed at how much crap football officials put up with. (At least in my experience) It's almost like football puts up with the most, followed by basketball, then baseball. If baseball coaches acted like some basketball coaches I know, they would be dumped in the first two innings a lot of games.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
On another note I am amazed at how much crap football officials put up with. (At least in my experience) It's almost like football puts up with the most, followed by basketball, then baseball. If baseball coaches acted like some basketball coaches I know, they would be dumped in the first two innings a lot of games.
I work both baseball and basketball, and I think it's the other way around (because we don't have the equivalent of a T in baseball).
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Based on my experience in football, we worry more about things that question our integrity. To me, "You're crazy" is just another way of saying he disagrees with my judgement. That will happen on a block/charge where he is biased and the official understands the rule. If he says "learn the rule" or "you're screwing us" then he's cruising the line to integrity. There is still a little difference in football because nobody in the stands is likely aware he said anything, but basketball is more visible. I definitely understand that.
Personal, profane, prolonged, public.

"You're" makes it personal. "That's crazy" gets ignored. "You're crazy" get penalized.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I checked with local basketball official and he said jacket on court = T and jacket on bench = no T. "You're crazy" would be ignored...don't have rabbit ears.

It's not rabbit ears when it is yelled at you. That's normal cognitive behavior.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:28pm
TODO: creative title here

We put up with a lot more in football because we're outside rather than an echo-filled gym. And for every official on the field, at least one coach is 25-50 yards away at minimum.

Working as an Umpire, I almost never hear anything a coach says from the sideline.

Back to basketball.
Last week, visiting team keeps it close for 3/4 of the game, but it slips away from them late... down 10ish with about 2 minutes to go, visiting coach says to me "You know, I bet when I look at this film, you'll have called about 80% of the fouls... your partners aren't calling anything". It was only loud enough for me to hear as I was standing right next to her during a FT. Prior to this point, she hadn't complained about anything as far as I can remember.

Warn, Whack, Acknowledge, or Ignore?
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Mad at myself for not taking care of business enough
Sounds like you called a great game with what you were given. We're never going to be perfect, so I wouldn't get too mad about not being great enough to hold your own weight and carry partners who don't want to do their job.

Your situation sucked. Not you.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
We put up with a lot more in football because we're outside rather than an echo-filled gym. And for every official on the field, at least one coach is 25-50 yards away at minimum.

Working as an Umpire, I almost never hear anything a coach says from the sideline.

Back to basketball.
Last week, visiting team keeps it close for 3/4 of the game, but it slips away from them late... down 10ish with about 2 minutes to go, visiting coach says to me "You know, I bet when I look at this film, you'll have called about 80% of the fouls... your partners aren't calling anything". It was only loud enough for me to hear as I was standing right next to her during a FT. Prior to this point, she hadn't complained about anything as far as I can remember.

Move away and quit standing so close to her in the future.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Move away and quit standing so close to her in the future.
Yup.

Standing next to coaches is a magnet for goofy comments.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Back to basketball.

Move away and ignore this coach for the rest of game unless she needs to be dealt with a T.

This year I had one coach ask me why I wasn't addressing him and I responded with, "Anytime I try you either don't listen or want to bark. So if it comes to the point where I HAVE to address you it will be with a T because I don't think anything I have tried has gotten through to you and it might just take a T."

I walked away and he didn't say squat to me the rest of the game. I have adopted a 100% honesty approach this year and it's worked fine for the most part. Some coaches just don't want to discuss and they don't get my courtesy of talking with them unless it's official business. I'm through with the "expectation" that the coach-official relationship be solely on the officials shoulder. A coach can act the part or not, I don't care anymore.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... down 10ish with about 2 minutes to go, visiting coach says to me "You know, I bet when I look at this film, you'll have called about 80% of the fouls... your partners aren't calling anything".
Was she right? Were you and your partners on different pages? To me, whether playing, coaching, or watching my kid, refs on different pages is maddening. I have watched games this season (to be fair, not many), where it was clear that one referee had a different threshhold for something. In one I recall, parents were going nuts about carrying -- to me it was obvious that what one ref thought was a carry (I think he called 4 or 5 of them) the other did not (he called none). Seen similar things with fouls where there appeared to be two different sets of criteria for fouls -- which makes it really hard for players to adjust. (As a coach, of any sport, I often told my players "that's what's been called all day, you have to adjust," but they can't do that when there is inconsistency between refs.

But on your question, I'd join the "ignore" camp, but also ponder after the game if there was something in the question that you can evaluate that might have hit on something that could make you a better ref/partner. (Mind you, I'm not saying there is, sometimes one ref is calling more fouls because that is just where they happen.)
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 03:01pm
TODO: creative title here

When she made the comment, I had just called my first foul in about 4 minutes of game time... during which time my partners had called a handful. And we were basically on the same page the entire way. I did have one stretch where I called about 6 in a row (in the first half), but that was more a function of where I was on the court relative to where the action was happening. The old 'call a foul as the lead, move to trail, become new lead, call a foul, move to trail, rinse, repeat' cycle that happens in NFHS mechanics.

Honestly, I have no idea what she was complaining about. I simply gave her an "I hear ya, coach" and took about 3 steps further on to the court (this was during a FT, so I was trail, tableside, near the 28-foot line), and the game finished without incident. Warning or serving T never even crossed my mind.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach says something to me about one of my partners such as what was said in the OP, he's getting whacked. We're a team just like everyone else.

Worked a baseball game last spring. V coach was all over me, H coach was all over my partner on the bases. All game long. Partner calls a bang-bang play in V's favor in the last inning that would've been the last out and H says to me after the inning "He just cost us the game." There's his warning. Game goes to extras and there's a particularly tough call and H coach asks me politely for a second opinion. I approach my partner and coach says, "Not sure if you should be asking him based off what I've seen this game." Tossed that guy so fast. (Besides, who the hell else am I going to ask? There's only two of us!)
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am also a football official and there are things I will not tolerate from a coach no matter the level. I do not care what the sport is, there are things that you say to me that will be addressed and in both football and basketball you get one most of the time to correct your behavior.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 04:20pm
High Five Master

My officiating experience is fast pitch heavy. I've done it for 11 years now. I would NEVER put up with chirping in softball the way we do in basketball. It's a different monster bc in basketball it is almost expected, it seems, of coaches to be jabbering all the time. Softball and baseball around here, coaches just don't do that. And again, it's a different type of action in that it's not constant like basketball. So to me, basketball is much worse than softball.