The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

How to get through a rough night?

Last night had two very competitive, fairly well played games. G/B Varsity doubleheader.

Anyway, I didn't feel the game went poorly for me, just that it didn't go smoothly, either. I felt slow on the whistle, let some contact go that I normally wouldn't, overall just felt a bit disengaged.

My question - anyone else ever have these nights, and what do you do to try to get back in it? How do you fight it? Maybe it's the cold I'm fighting, but I just felt like my brain was in molasses last night...
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Concentrate and do the best you can. Thats about it. Force yourself and your partner(s) to have a real good post-game conference. Critique the games. Learn from it. Take a real hot shower. Get a good nights sleep.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

we all have em

the best thing to do, get back on the horse so to speak. However if you think it might be illness...it might take getting over it first....as for the title of the thread, how to get through a rough nite...well they sell these neat little bottles at certain adult oriented beverage stores...LOL
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Anyway, I didn't feel the game went poorly for me, just that it didn't go smoothly, either. I felt slow on the whistle, let some contact go that I normally wouldn't, overall just felt a bit disengaged.

1) anyone else ever have these nights
2) and what do you do to try to get back in it?
3) How do you fight it?
1) Yes
2) Just keep plugging away. Say to yourself "Self, get your head out of your azz and concentrate."
3) You don't fight it. Take 2 brownpops before going to bed and fuggedaboutit.

If you can think of a reason why you you weren't sharp, fine. Learn from it. If it was just one of those blah games, then just fuggedaboutit.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

What I'm finding when I feel I have games like those is it wasn't as bad as it felt. I've been in only 4 seasons, so I figured my "bad" games would be apparent to everyone, but I've been told more than once by the Varsity crew observing my game that it was well done.

They can't all be gems.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

For me, the thing that helps me re-focus is talking to myself. Where's my matchup? Where's the defense? Which way is the arrow? Which foot is the pivot? Where's the shooter? Watch the cutter. Watch the screener.

I'm not saying that I say all that on every possession. But if I find myself drifting mentally in the game, these are the things I try to focus on, and I mentally tell myself to find them. It may sound like a silly distinction, but I'm not just standing there saying, "I wonder where my matchup is." It's almost like a command to myself. "Find the matchup". It makes me re-focus.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
During the game, talk to yourself about what's happening at that moment. Talk out loud, quietly. "Legal screen, still legal, good catch, left foot pivot, off-ball, great defense!, hold the whistle...." It really helps get your focus onto the action and out of your foggy, foggy head.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
My question - anyone else ever have these nights, and what do you do to try to get back in it? How do you fight it? Maybe it's the cold I'm fighting, but I just felt like my brain was in molasses last night...
Don't forget to have a full tank.
Get it at half-time or between games.
  • Liquids
  • Sugar
  • Energy stuff.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) 3) You don't fight it. Take 2 brownpops before going to bed and fuggedaboutit.
Vicadin washed down by a Vodka & Lemonade usually does the trick for me.

As for what to do the next game, write down some of the things you did poorly in your previous game, review the list line-by-line and visualize in your head how you will handle those situations differently the next time they occur.

I find my poorer games are result of a lack of hustle and bad positioning so the next time I get on the court I really focus on getting where I need to be and getting good angles.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 01:22pm.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:37am
Do not give a damn!!

The first thing you need to understand that every single official that has done a single game has had a bad experience or bad night of officiating. If you understand that, then it is easier to move on from the bad experience. Just think about what went wrong and try your best to eliminate those situations. Also understand that you are not perfect and you will make mistakes in the future. You will have bad nights in the future if you officiate long enough. You kind of have to be like a CB in the NFL. Once you get burned you have forget about it and make the next play. The more you harp on the bad things, the more you will make mistakes.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic Referee... what's a 'brown pop'???
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone has these nights. I focus on stuff that I can control like hustle and mechanics. When I feel I'm not "in" a game, I run a little harder and try to snap off my mechanics nice and crisp. At least if I'm calling a crap game I can look like I'm making an effort. Another little trick I picked up from a D1 speaker at a camp (Rick Hartzell, if you ever get a chance to hear him, he does a great job) is to break the game up into segments. For example think "I'm going to be my sharpest until the next quarter break or time out" and then you know you have a little off time. It doesn't always work, but that's why I try.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
During the game, talk to yourself about what's happening at that moment. Talk out loud, quietly. "Legal screen, still legal, good catch, left foot pivot, off-ball, great defense!, hold the whistle...." It really helps get your focus onto the action and out of your foggy, foggy head.
great advice rainmaker, i do the same thing and it really helps to keep me focused...so people might look at you funny for talking to yourself, it does help me to get re-focused as well....
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... I didn't feel the game went poorly for me, just that it didn't go smoothly, either. I felt slow on the whistle, let some contact go that I normally wouldn't, overall just felt a bit disengaged.

I had that type of game last night...I could sense that I wasn't as focused as I should be before the game, so here's what I did:

a)I stood a lot closer to the players in pre-game warm-ups than usual and really focused on each player shooting (I kept track of makes vs misses - 18 of 28 at one point)
b) I talked to myself during plays (like rainmaker suggested earlier) - i.e. "my ball"; "legal screen"; "good block out"; "my sideline"
c) I tried to conciously move a lot more to get better angles
d) During a TO I reviewed the game details (time, score, foul count, poss. arrow, what we've called - 2 travels, 1 illegal screen, 1 charge); DON'T "zone out" and listen to the music with a blank stare
e) I stood up during the entire half-time; didn't want to relax and lose my focus

Those things helped me improve my focus during the game. BTW it was a double OT game that had me feeling a little disappointed in our performance as a crew (bad calls, missed calls, calls out of area, clock issues, etc). Fortunately the "right team" won....

Hope that helps.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
d) During a TO I reviewed the game details (time, score, foul count, poss. arrow, what we've called - 2 travels, 1 illegal screen, 1 charge); DON'T "zone out" and listen to the music with a blank stare
e) I stood up during the entire half-time; didn't want to relax and lose my focus.
Excellent points!! These actually are good things to do in almost any game. Letting down the concentration often leads to problems.