The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
My wife has a game against the defending state champs (Catholic League) last nite. ALso, the school is located about .5 miles from her school. She and the coach for them are good friends. She has done a lot to straighten up the attitudes of her girls, who had a deserved reputation as whiners and hackers.
So the game begins. Nip and tuck. One of the officials makes two calls in under 1 minute against her second best player. After she sits, same official two quick whistles on her best, and tallest player. Now both players are on the bench, home team in bonus, visitors, not close.
Going into the forth quarter, two more quick whistles on best player #2, followed by 2 more quick whistles. So the wifes stands up as the official comes over, questions the call, and the proceeds to tell the ref he is "full of crap". Yes a deserved T!! Her second in 14 years!!
Here is the kicker. Over the summer this official kept making comments about her players and how he did not like them and how he couldn't wait to get a game to "teach them a lesson!" I of course was two hours away working my own game. BUT I got the here the story, for two hours from my wife on the way home. Thank God for unlimited cell phone minutes!!
I told her to send an email to the supervisor and a copy of the tape. Having watched the tape she has some valid points, out of position, no hustle, etc. This should make for an interesting meeting if this guy follows me in a game!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 02:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
This should make for an interesting meeting if this guy follows me in a game!
By this I am assuming that you mean an interesting meeting between you and this other official??? Why in the world would you even bring it up with him? What possible purpose could it serve? And finally, how would you feel if the spouse/partner of another coach - who also happened to be in your association - started second-guessing and questioning your calls everytime you did their spouse/partner's games? I stongly suggest you keep your mouth shut about this with that other official, let your wife send the tape and complaints to the assignor, and let the assignor handle it...
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
ROCKY
That is exactly what I did. I am not going to get in the middle of that. As for second guessing calls, we all, from time to time second guess our partners and other officials. The key is whether we say anything out load about it. In my case, MUM is the word. I told my wife it was her problem and she would have to handle it, and she will. What you can see is this is a very awkward situation for me. My wife is bad mouthing an official, and I am trying to remain neutral. (I did not watch the tape until she was alseep)
As for meeting up with the official, I don't plan on saying anything unless he brings it up. And then all I will say is "You were there, I wasn't, and from what I understand she deserved the "T" and that is about it.
I am a lot smarter then I look. I aint touching this with a ten foot pole. Her problem, her solution.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 02:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Good for you! Based on your earlier posts, I assumed you had lots of common sense...but then I read your last comment about meeting up with the other official and wasn't sure what you meant...thanks for clearing that up...
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Careful careful

Quote:
I am a lot smarter then I look.
people may start to wonder....

what you look like.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

I often wondered

How does one's appearance indicate their intelligence?

Albert Einstein looked reeeeeeal smart, right?

Speaking of Albert, I also wondered if you are traveling at the speed of light, should you turn on your headlights?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 08:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: I often wondered

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
How does one's appearance indicate their intelligence?

Speaking of Albert, I also wondered if you are traveling at the speed of light, should you turn on your headlights?
Didn't you just have a birthday?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Not yet

My B-day is the same as MLK, Jr.

It is great that my employer gives us a three day weekend for it!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:10pm
In Memoriam

Wink Re: I often wondered

Quote:
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: I often wondered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
THAT is pure genius!!!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not yet

Quote:
My B-day is the same as MLK, Jr.

It is great that my employer gives us a three day weekend for it!
I know just how you feel. My birthday is May 30, and being a government worker (yes, there really is such a thing), I get a 3-day weekend. I also take the day off on the 30th, if it doesn't fall on Friday or Monday.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Not yet

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref

I know just how you feel. My birthday is May 30, and being a government worker (yes, there really is such a thing), I get a 3-day weekend. I also take the day off on the 30th, if it doesn't fall on Friday or Monday.
Let's not forget the wonderful "snow days" we've been having lately. Never seen a city shut down over such a pathetic accumulation of snow.