The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

A coach throwing his coat (or clipboard, or a student, or anything for that manner) in disgust over a call or non-call is a T if I witness it 100% of the time.

There are occasions where a coach may throw a jacket or the clipboard because of frustration towards the players. In these cases I don't T but I do let him know if he does that again I will.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 10:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I would never consider a UNS for a coach who says "you're crazy." He's frustrated because a call went against him and in his judgement is wrong. It sounds like basketball had a different threshold which may have as much to do with how much more visible a coach is. I have no issue with you guys calling that in your games.

I was at a game Friday night and the visiting coach took off his coat and threw it on the ground after a kicked ball call that prevented his team from getting a turnover. The play happened directly in front of me and I agreed with the coach (my kids attend the home school). An official was just fooled somehow. It happens. There was no T but it could have been because none of then saw it. He had complained a free times earlier but I have no idea what he said and he never got a T. I thought the crew did a good job considering I don't know rules and mechanics for basketball.
And I would throw that flag in a heartbeat in a HS game. No coach gets personal on a sideline and gets away with it. Actually, my wing would throw the flag as I'm an R on Friday nights.

In an NCAA football game my threshold may be a bit different, but I know for a fact I'd address that with any coach I've worked for.

The jacket throw would be an automatic for me in a basketball game whether I missed a call or not. I can't control missing a call once in a while, but he can always control his reaction.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I could've sent him when he made a comment to one of my partners along the lines of "I'm glad you called that because your buddy [referring to me] wasn't going to." I'm actually pissed that my partner didn't toss him on that because I had to clean up after him later.
One of your partners has to toss him on this. You could have, too, but for neither of your partners to get this would cause me to have a spirited conversation in the locker room.

You're in South Carolina, right? Coach will sit at least one game, possibly two since he didn't leave the court in a timely manner.

And despite what football philosophies may be, 99.9% of basketball officials would've canned this coach. You're asking for trouble by not doing so.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was at a game Friday night and the visiting coach took off his coat and threw it on the ground
That's all I need or care to hear. You'd better T this every single time it happens unless you want a call from your assigner or state office once the video of it leaks.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's a personal comment directed at an official. And after already being T'd up, he's taking a chance that comment could send him. That's questioning an official's integrity in my book.
I really wish someone on my crew had the balls to send him on that comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
One of your partners has to toss him on this. You could have, too, but for neither of your partners to get this would cause me to have a spirited conversation in the locker room.

You're in South Carolina, right? Coach will sit at least one game, possibly two since he didn't leave the court in a timely manner.
Yes. Coach told me at halftime that he "has film" of the call that led to his first T. Kinda want him to send it to Columbia so they can see his childish behavior.

Last edited by bballref3966; Wed Feb 03, 2016 at 11:55am.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
"You're crazy" is personal. It's a technical in basketball and 15 in football. In baseball it's an ejection.

Standing and stomping in disgust after getting a technical already? Good bye.
This.

And yes, the partner should have rung him up with the comment made to him.

One of the partners should have rung him up for stomping, but since they didn't, the OP was right in doing so.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I checked with local basketball official and he said jacket on court = T and jacket on bench = no T. "You're crazy" would be ignored...don't have rabbit ears.

Nothing wrong with how you handle it in your area. Just sharing how one local official would handle it here.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Yes. Coach told me at halftime that he "has film" of the call that led to his first T. Kinda want him to send it to Columbia so they can see his childish behavior.
Might have tossed him here, hard to say.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I checked with local basketball official and he said jacket on court = T and jacket on bench = no T. "You're crazy" would be ignored...don't have rabbit ears.

Nothing wrong with how you handle it in your area. Just sharing how one local official would handle it here.
Your local basketball contact doesn't know what rabbit ears means. A coach talking to you, yelling, from across the court, is not rabbit ears by even the most generous definition.

There are local officials everywhere who are afraid of coaches and won't make this call. They're wrong, IMO.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

How is you're crazy not personal and not unsporting?

Speaking of crazy that is plain nuts...
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm going take a wild guess and say that "local official" is someone that would be on my block list after working with him one time. Sounds like an official that doesn't have the balls to take care of business.

And you and your local official don't know what "rabbit ears" means. No pun intended, but you're crazy if you think that penalizing a coach for screaming at you is having "rabbit ears."
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Might have tossed him here, hard to say.
I was thinking the same thing. Depending on how this is delivered I could see a "Whack, get out" on this.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Based on my experience in football, we worry more about things that question our integrity. To me, "You're crazy" is just another way of saying he disagrees with my judgement. That will happen on a block/charge where he is biased and the official understands the rule. If he says "learn the rule" or "you're screwing us" then he's cruising the line to integrity. There is still a little difference in football because nobody in the stands is likely aware he said anything, but basketball is more visible. I definitely understand that.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Based on my experience in football, we worry more about things that question our integrity. To me, "You're crazy" is just another way of saying he disagrees with my judgement. That will happen on a block/charge where he is biased and the official understands the rule. If he says "learn the rule" or "you're screwing us" then he's cruising the line to integrity. There is still a little difference in football because nobody in the stands is likely aware he said anything, but basketball is more visible. I definitely understand that.
There's a difference between "That's crazy" and "You're crazy."
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There's a difference between "That's crazy" and "You're crazy."
Amen