The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Touchy Subject ...

From Ref60 Home of "60 Seconds of Officiating" website, article on basket interference:

A Touchy Subject | Ref 60

Post by zackman, December 29, 2015 at 8:15 pm:
It is not always goaltending when a shot is touched while on the way down – If a layup (or bank shot) is one it’s way down, it can still be legally blocked provided the ball is not yet above the cylinder.

Post by BillyMac, January 30, 2016 at 1:39 pm:
On most layups, the ball is going up immediately after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up, and is not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. It is goaltending if, after a layup, the ball is on it’s way down, and is not in the cylinder.

I'm (BillyMac, that's me) right, right? (NFHS rules)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 30, 2016 at 03:03pm.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A Touchy Subject | Ref 60

zackman December 29, 2015 at 8:15 pm
It is not always goaltending when a shot is touched while on the way down – If a layup (or bank shot) is one it’s way down, it can still be legally blocked provided the ball is not yet above the cylinder.
This statement is just not true.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Similes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I can't believe that the creators of the website left the erroneous post on the site since December 28, 2015 without correcting it. That would never happen here on the Forum. We'd be all over that like white on rice. Like ugly on an ape. Like a duck on a Junebug.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 30, 2016 at 03:03pm.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What did he say that was untrue? To have as shot on it's way down, the ball has to have a chance to go in and has to be completely above the rim in order to have a violation for GT.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What did he say that was untrue? To have as shot on it's way down, the ball has to have a chance to go in and has to be completely above the rim in order to have a violation for GT.

Peace
Quote:
Post by zackman, December 29, 2015 at 8:15 pm:
The cylinder is irrelevant for GT. This guy is saying you can block a layup or bank shot regardless of whether it's going up or down, as long as it's not in the cylinder.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The cylinder is irrelevant for GT. This guy is saying you can block a layup or bank shot regardless of whether it's going up or down, as long as it's not in the cylinder.
I must have read it differently, but the part about the cylinder does not play a role for GT at all. I thought his major point was about the ball hitting the backboard or on it's downward flight.

For the record, in NCAA rules, this part would matter and could result in a violation.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Jan 30, 2016 at 04:12pm.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I must have read it differently, but the part about the cylinder does not play a role for GT at all. I thought his major point was about the ball hitting the backboard or on it's downward flight.
Zackman is saying the cylinder is relevant--that if the ball is not yet in it, it can be legally touched.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Zackman is saying the cylinder is relevant--that if the ball is not yet in it, it can be legally touched.
I did not take his comments that way, but if you did fine with me. I took his comments as more stating that what was legal until the ball was in the cylinder. Now if the ball is in the cylinder and touched, you would have a violation still, just not at GT violation.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Goaltending ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
And I say that said ball can't be legally touched in a high school game.

A1 shoots layup. Ball is on the way up and then it bounces off the backboard. It's still on it's way up and reaches it's apex and then gravity causes it to start on it's way down, toward the basket. The ball is now on it's way down, toward the basket, but still outside the cylinder, above the ring, when B1 contacts the ball, and blocks the shot.

My ruling: Goaltending.

NFHS: Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

My interpretation is most certainly contrary to zackman's post: It is not always goaltending when a shot is touched while on the way down – If a layup (or bank shot) is one it’s way down, it can still be legally blocked provided the ball is not yet above the cylinder.

Of course, my interpretation may be different per rule sets other than NFHS (NCAA, NBA, FIBA).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 30, 2016 at 04:31pm.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I did not take his comments that way, but if you did fine with me. I took his comments as more stating that what was legal until the ball was in the cylinder. Now if the ball is in the cylinder and touched, you would have a violation still, just not at GT violation.

Peace
Jeff, read the quote again. He said it's legal to block a shot that is "on the way down" if it is not "yet" above the cylinder.

This can only mean a shot that is already above the rim, on its way down, but not yet within the cylinder. "yet" is really the key between the way you read it and the way I read it.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Jeff, read the quote again. He said it's legal to block a shot that is "on the way down" if it is not "yet" above the cylinder.

This can only mean a shot that is already above the rim, on its way down, but not yet within the cylinder. "yet" is really the key between the way you read it and the way I read it.
He would have to clarify his position on this, I am just saying that I did not read as an all or nothing statement. It is no big deal, I would not have mentioned the cylinder unless mentioning BI, but that is me.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 08:47pm
High Five Master

Quote:
I can't believe that the creators of the website left the erroneous post on the site since December 28, 2015 without correcting it. That would never happen here on the Forum. We'd be all over that like white on rice. Like ugly on an ape. Like a duck on a Junebug.

Ummmm.......I hate to be a stickler here but you are just dead wrong.

The correct analogy is like a duck on a cheeto. Ducks love Cheetos.