The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Lord knows that I've put my foot in it on more than one occasion but I try to learn from it to grow better. When we surround ourselves with sycophants we rot from the inside because when you stop growing you begin decaying.

If a weakness is perceived but overlooked, left uncommented on it will never be corrected because the person with the weakness either is left clueless or is under the impression that it must not have been important since no one noticed. If we see a fellow blue screwing up but say nothing out of "we're the only friends that we have" we are hurting our proffession by not demanding improvement. Oh sure, we've all heard the saying that we have the only job where you're expected to be perfect on the first day and to get better from then on. Do any of you really believe that you have no room to improve?

It reminds me of the Milwaukee police that defended their fellow officers that returned a naked screaming boy to Jeffery Dalmer. If they are that stupid I wouldn't want them on my team. An extreme case but indicative of what can happen.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

There is a difference between criticism and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...for example "YOU SUCK" vs "you may want to try it this way next time".... makes a world of difference
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 10:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
There is a difference between criticism and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...for example "YOU SUCK" vs "you may want to try it this way next time".... makes a world of difference

As a instructor of new basketball officials I do not use the phrase "constructive criticism" because it is an oxymoron. "Constructive" means to build-up and "criticism" means to tear down in a derogitory manner (at least when used in the phrase "constructive criticism"). Whether I am teaching new officials or observing veteran officials, I evaluate. I let officials what the are doing well and where they need improvement. And I like to same for me when I am being evaluated.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

And, those with the dangerous combination of seething anger, low self-confidence, and political power can always "take care" the the tactless, can't they?

I have even less respect for them.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Call it whatever you want..there IS a right and wrong way to do things.....but was her post worth the result..proably not, but Im not aware of the circumstances
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

If I tell a blue that he sucks and walk away that's just rude.

If I tell a blue that he should come inside on a ball in the outfield unless he's going out on the catch that's constructive criticism.

If I tell an assignor he sucks and walk away that's just rude.

If I tell an assignor for a tourney that he did a great job except for those two guys who seemed out of their depth it's constuctive criticism.

Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
....or if you are the more skilled and experienced and you try to help out a fellow blue because your UIC asked you to help train a new or inexperienced umpire, either between innings or after the game and they ignore you, what then? Don't say anything to your UIC or assignor?

....or if they are appreciative and strive to be better and better and then become ISF, that makes you feel great!
(happened, the umpire is ISF in Modified)

....or if no one ever says anything to help, or to train, or to give suggestions, how do you become better?

....or after facing adversity from fellow blues, coaches, etc., do you just get mad, or do you try to improve by attending clinics, asking more experienced umpires or just stew and build up anger or confront that person privately?

The truth should set you free..........

[Edited by Elaine "Lady Blue" on Aug 27th, 2004 at 04:04 AM]
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

again maam..with no disrespect.... the WAY you made your statements took me off guard. I have to admit I dont know you, but I just thought they were a little harsh. we ALL like and need to be critiqued, I just thought maybe there was a better way to say it. I am truly sorry if your comments and our responses got you into hot water, that doesnt seem fair at all.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Many people mistakenly assume that criticism always entails fault-finding. While it often does, it can also be entirely neutral or even favorable. Criticism can be constructive.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Wink

AZBIGDAWG,

The comment on this thread has absolutely nothing to do with previous posts, but thank you for your comment.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:14am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Semantics, semantics! If you don't like the phrase "constructive criticism", use "constructive feedback". I teach in a field where we use constructive feedback all the time. It works.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Semantics, semantics! If you don't like the phrase "constructive criticism", use "constructive feedback". I teach in a field where we use constructive feedback all the time. It works.
Heck, my daily job as an educator entails "constructive feedback/criticism" daily. And yes, it does work!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
...use "constructive feedback". I teach in a field where we use constructive feedback all the time. It works.
I like it!
Thanks, Ref Ump Welsch!
mick
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

There is nothing wrong with evaluating or being critical of an umpire.

I think a lot of these porblems could be avoided in the future if examples are given. If a coach or spectator came on here and said that some umpire was awful and didn't belong, but gave no examples of the poor umpiring, we would jump down his/her throat.

Someone came on the board and criticized a group of umpires. The only problem I had with it was that no examples were given. Why didn't those guys belong there, what made them so bad?

If you want to criticize, that's fine, but do the same that that you expect of the non-umpires here and provide examples to back up your comments