The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

This gets its own thread

Amazing....a Terp Fan who is a ref. What better timing than to ask this question. Not much of a Big Ten guy but was able to catch the Iowa/MD game last night and I am not sure how M Turgeon was able to keep his cool at the end of that game. At the near end of the game there where 3 back to back calls that went against Maryland which left both myself and the two Big Ten commentators speechless...thoughts?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 09:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjdb View Post
Amazing....a Terp Fan who is a ref. What better timing than to ask this question. Not much of a Big Ten guy but was able to catch the Iowa/MD game last night and I am not sure how M Turgeon was able to keep his cool at the end of that game. At the near end of the game there where 3 back to back calls that went against Maryland which left both myself and the two Big Ten commentators speechless...thoughts?
So, should we alternate calls to keep coaches happy?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 10:44am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Friendly word of advice, coach: Your first two posts were a straightforward question about the rules, which we're more than happy to answer and discuss. This post, on the other hand, is not helpful or constructive. If you can pinpoint a particular call (either by time left in the half, or by numbers of the players involved, or some other identifying feature), it's almost guaranteed that someone will find and post a video for discussion... but simply saying "there were three terrible calls" is the kind of fanboy talk that won't be well-received.

Also, the "Amazing....a Terp Fan who is a ref." comment... what exactly are you trying to imply here? I can't think of any positive reason to make a comment like that.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 10:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Friendly word of advice, coach: Your first two posts were a straightforward question about the rules, which we're more than happy to answer and discuss. This post, on the other hand, is not helpful or constructive. If you can pinpoint a particular call (either by time left in the half, or by ....
I saw his post here before the posts in the other thread. That's why in the other thread I wasn't so friendly
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 11:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You know how coaches keep their cool? They're freaking adults and should be expected to act like adults, even in stressful work situations. The rest of us are, why is sports any different?

Further, great calls leave commentators and coaches speechless all the time. If you'd like, you could request one of our video gurus post videos of the plays in question, but they would need to know approximate game time for the plays you think were so bad.. We're not going to give you any constructive thoughts without video.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

When it comes to this forum, and really anytime I'm watching/discussing basketball officiating, I always try to be as objective as possible.

Admittedly though, I do have some bias watching my Terps, especially this year when they have a real opportunity to advance deep in the tournament.

Overall I thought last night's game was well officiated though I did not like a sequence of calls at the end that I assume the poster is talking about.

The first one actually went in Maryland's favor. Iowa's Center fouled out on an illegal screen at the 2:47 mark of the second half. It appears that Sulaimon of MD actually grabbed the screener with his left arm and made it look like an illegal screen that really wasnt there. Would have to see the other angle and I can see it looked like an illegal screen to the calling official. Iowa's bench had the opposite angle and did not like the call at all.

The 2nd play occurred at the 1:48 mark where after having the ball stolen on what was almost a held ball situation, Carter of MD was called for his 5th foul on what was simply a missed call. No illegal contact on Carter's part at all from what I saw.

Then at 1:46 there was a held ball call that appeared to me to be a foul committed by the Iowa player when Layman of MD had possession of the ball after rebounding a missed FT by Iowa. This was particularly frustrating to MD partisans given the call that was just made on the other end of the floor.

All in all though, again I thought it was a well officiated game and the play that would probably be the most interesting to discuss from an officiating perspective was the one that went in MD's favor at the 2:47 mark.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry Folks...My bad as I miss-interpreted the theme and tone of this forum. Any further post will be on point to discussion. Just a note that the "Amazing" comment was only in reference to the timing of me seeing Terp Fan Ref, only hours after watching the game. It was a light hearted grab at trying to get his reaction and thoughts on the calls from a refs standpoint and was not meant to be insulting to him and or the profession. If he had watched and listened to the game he already knows what calls i am referring to. Again, I understand now that this is not the forum for those kind of questions and or conjectures.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:12pm
TODO: creative title here

Ok, fair enough.

I hope you'll stick around and make a positive contribution.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sorry Folks...My bad as I miss-interpreted the theme and tone of this forum. Any further post will be on point to discussion. Just a note that the "Amazing" comment was only in reference to the timing of me seeing Terp Fan Ref, only hours after watching the game. It was a light hearted grab at trying to get his reaction and thoughts on the calls from a refs standpoint and was not meant to be insulting to him and or the profession. If he had watched and listened to the game he already knows what calls i am referring to. Again, I understand now that this is not the forum for those kind of questions and or conjectures.
This makes sense. I for some reason thought you were the one who was a terp fan and a ref.

You're welcome to comment here, but as has been curtly noted, you'll get more feedback with direct questions than with general criticisms.

Very few of us have any respect for TV commentators, as their rule knowledge is almost universally suspect. When they do know the rules, there's a 50/50 chance they wont' know how to apply the rules. It really is amazing how poorly they understand rules given they get paid to explain the game to viewers.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry that I haven't been able to reply to this thread, as always, I'm a little busy. I am the Secretary of my board and we are rescheduling a ton of games due to the weather we've encountered on the East Coast.

I did not get to see the game, wish I would have been able to. I work often, like today I have two afternoon games and an evening game.