The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 09:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb New thread

It seems like the past few days we've spent our time on the same threads and have really beat them to death. To make it worse, things even have gotten personal and nasty on some of them. So... I thought I'd start a new thread so we could get back to what this board is supposed to be about.

Oh yeah - I probably should suggest a topic.

How about: "the smartest play you've seen in a game?" I'll start.

A few years ago, I was training some refs at a 3rd grade rec game. Late in the game, the score was tied and there was a scramble for a loose ball. A1 gained control back near a corner in his back court. He was on his back with the ball and surrounded by team B players. One of the refs had started his 10 count. A1 threw the ball off B1s foot so it would go OOB. After the game, I had one of my trainees ask him why he didn't request a timeout. He said he knew his team was out of them and he didn't want to get a technical. Now you've got to admit that was pretty impressive for a 3rd grader. He's now going into 7th grade and is starting his third year of playing on a classic (competitive) team. He's been team captain for the past two years and says that when he gets to be a freshman, he wants to learn to be a ref. He's already on my list.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

I was convinced that he was a smart kid until you said he wanted to be a ref. Now I think he's a moron.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I also coach, so I also like it when kids are well coached and REALLY understand the game.

Llike with two seconds to go and up by three points a player in a HS gym with a really high ceiling just throws the ball up in the air knowing it will never come down in time. Or with a second or so to go and winning by a few points a player on the end line throws the ball the entire length of the gym knowing if his team gets it they win - and if the other team gets it there is no time to make a play and score.

Of course, these plays come with risk - hitting something hanging from the rafters or no one touching the long throw down court and the other team now inbounding the ball.

But, when they work they are good to see.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

One of the smartest plays I've seen was last season in a boys varsity game. Small, rural schools located about 10 miles from each other. They're not in the same conference, but they play each other every year. The gym is packed before the JV game starts. It's also homecoming at the home school because they don't play football. Both teams are pretty decent and we expect a very competitive game.

The visitors take a big early lead (10+ points in the first quarter). The home team burns up two timeouts in the first period and another one in the second. At halftime its about a 12 point game.

In the third period, the comeback begins and they get the deficit down to about 4 or 5 early in the fourth period. From there, it's up and down the court trading baskets until we get to the last 25 seconds. The visitors hit two free throws to go up by 3. Home team calls their last time out after the second free throw goes in. We get together and remind each other of the situation (who has the clock, someone be sure to note the time on the clock if the shot goes in and the visitors call time out, stay with the shooter, etc. etc.). The home team brings the ball upcourt and immediately looks for a three point shot, but nothing is available (defense really steps out). They work the clock down to less than 10 seconds and there's a drive to the hoop. I watch the ball pass through the net as the clock goes from 7 to 6 seconds. The ball bounces on the floor a couple times before the visitors pick it up. I look at the clock and there's less than 5 seconds. The kid with the ball knows the situation and he just holds the ball while standing out of bounds. Home team has no time outs left and they can only watch as time runs out.

We run off the court after the buzzer and all the fans are screaming at us for not calling a five second violation (not even close). To make matters worse, we have to go through the home team locker room to get to our "room". The home coach comes to the room to ask about the end of the game. I told him what the clock read as the ball went through the hoop and when the kid grabbed the ball there was less than 5 seconds on the clock. The kid did not delay grabbing the ball. It was just a heads up play.

I am definitely glad we talked during the last time out and made sure we had an eye on the clock/shot so we KNEW the situation at the end of the game.

Long story, smart play.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quick quiz re: Dave's situation. If the home team jumps OOB while the visitor's player is holding the ball, what do you call?
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Quick quiz re: Dave's situation. If the home team jumps OOB while the visitor's player is holding the ball, what do you call?
BOUNDARY-PLANE WARNING – LAST SECOND TACTIC
9.2.11 SITUATION: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1's hands. Team B has not been warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-47-1; 10-1-10)
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Ghostbusters????
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 09:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevada, you're no fun.

BTW, I've got a no-call.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
BOUNDARY-PLANE WARNING – LAST SECOND TACTIC
9.2.11 SITUATION: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1's hands. Team B has not been warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-47-1; 10-1-10)
So much for letting someone else answer the question.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I saw the old Set-Up-At-The-Wrong-End-At-The-Beginning-Of-The-Third-Quarter play done in what I thought was the smartest ever.

It was a JV girls' game and the home team was a school where the varsity always went to state, the JV was always undefeated and they had so many girls go out every year that they even cut players from their freshmen teams. The other school was lucky to even field a varsity team, let alone JV.

In this particular game, home was ahead by 25 or 30 at the half. As the second half began, the home coach wasn't even watching. She was busy doing something on the clipboard, and everyone line up incorrectly. Visitor pulled it off perfectly, and fortunately, the player chosen for the fast break made the layup. It was the only good play they had the whole game. Home coach was so furious, those players sat out the rest of the game. I just laughed and laughed and laughed.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 12:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I saw the old Set-Up-At-The-Wrong-End-At-The-Beginning-Of-The-Third-Quarter play done in what I thought was the smartest ever.

It was a JV girls' game and the home team was a school where the varsity always went to state, the JV was always undefeated and they had so many girls go out every year that they even cut players from their freshmen teams. The other school was lucky to even field a varsity team, let alone JV.

In this particular game, home was ahead by 25 or 30 at the half. As the second half began, the home coach wasn't even watching. She was busy doing something on the clipboard, and everyone line up incorrectly. Visitor pulled it off perfectly, and fortunately, the player chosen for the fast break made the layup. It was the only good play they had the whole game. Home coach was so furious, those players sat out the rest of the game. I just laughed and laughed and laughed.
Nice! Did they tip off the refs that this was their stragedy? Because I have often started the half going in the wrong direction, it is something I check for.

edited to correct keyboard errors.

Last edited by Old School; Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 05:06pm.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 02:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Nice! Did they tip off the ref's that this was there tragedy? Because I have often started the half going in the worng direction, it is something I check for.
First - it was only a "tragedy" for the home team. Second, substitute "life" for "the half" and your statement sounds as if it really pertains to you.

Oh yeah, I put the other misspelled words in blue for you, just to help.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 05:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
First - it was only a "tragedy" for the home team. Second, substitute "life" for "the half" and your statement sounds as if it really pertains to you.

Oh yeah, I put the other misspelled words in blue for you, just to help.
Damn, can't be mad, when you're right, you're right. Good catches, I will go back and correct.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Llike with two seconds to go and up by three points a player in a HS gym with a really high ceiling just throws the ball up in the air knowing it will never come down in time.
Something like this happened in the NBA playoffs last season. Except the ball came down before the clock expired and a player hit a three to either win or send the game into OT, I forget which.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Offered without comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Nice! Did they tip off the refs that this was their stragedy? Because I have often started the half going in the wrong direction, it is something I check for.

edited to correct keyboard errors.