LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToledoCYOBlue
Question

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/19295

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, R3 on 1B - less than 2 outs.

R3 takes off on the pitch and goes to 2B while F2 returns ball to F1.

We now have R2 on 2B with R1 also on 2B with the ball in the circle.

LBR not in effect because no runners are off a base. True or False?

The only way to resolve this is for the defense to make a play at 2B and tag R1. True or False?
Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
ASA Case Play 8.8-66 page 99 of the 2005-06 Case Book (yes you put the runner back).....NFHS Case Play 8.3.3 Situation B page 50 of the 2005 NFHS Softball Case Book..With R1 on third, R2 on second and R3 on first, R3 legally steals second but R2 does not advance. The pitcher receives the ball in the circle from the catcher and makes no play on any runner. May both runners remain at second? RULING : No. The umpire, after allowing a reasonable amount of time for a play to be made, shall declare the ball dead and call R3 out. College....haven't found that one yet.....I'd be interested to see what Kevin Ryan thought of this difference ?
This exact situation came up in our local church youth league (league is goverened by NFHS rules). And not that it matters much, but in this case, it was CLEARLY absentmindedness on the part of R3, rather than any clever attempt by the offense to score a run.

Once the pitcher had the ball in the circle, and was ready to pitch (pitcher having no idea the runners behind her were screwed up), I called time and placed R3 back on 1B. According to the NFHS case play cited by Bandit, it looks like I blew that call. Nobody complained, but still...everyone wants to nail every sitch that comes up.

But I'm struggling to understand NFHS's case play...WHY should R3 be out? What rule has she violated? I think the ASA case play 8.8-66 is much easier to swallow as a solution to the problem...she hasn't violated a rule, therefore she cannot be called out. Both ASA and NFHS seem to be clear on their handling of this sitch... just curious if anyone has thoughts on WHY the difference... is NFHS saying this violates LBR, but ASA says it does not violate?

Sorry for digging up an old topic...I'm new to the board, and am spending a lot of time reading and catching up. I just wish I had gotten to this one before it happened to me two nights ago! Thanks,

Charlie
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

All I can say is NFHS has somewhat of a history of having umpires just declare outs. For a while, for example, no appeal was necessary on a missed base - the umpire was to just declare the out.