Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you post his deleted post again, you're getting suspended.
You are out of line, Rich. I can post a humorous diction correction anytime I wish.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
"When he/she legally enters the court". Would being beckoned on the floor not make her legally on the floor?
3-3-2. Sub shall remain outside the boundary until being beckoned, whereupon he shall ENTER...

Beckoning is one thing. Entering is another. It is stepping inbounds.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your initial post doesn't indicate that you or your association did any rules-based work. Why didn't you post a rule citation or two when you asked your question?

Since you're granting a timeout, there's no sub in the game. Since the player reported before the first warning horn, s/he can come in...or not...for any of the 5 players already on the floor.

EVEN IF the official beckoned in the sub after granting the timeout, I'd argue that the sub really isn't "in the game" and the official shouldn't be doing that.
Ok I agree with you. I'm just looking for a rule that clarifies when a player becomes legal. Some could argue the contrary that If the player is beckoned on the floor that she is a legal player which would make the other player bench personal and would have to sit a tick. I just want to provide my chapter with proof of the rule. I apologize for my earlier comment. I should not have done that.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You are out of line, Rich. I can post a humorous diction correction anytime I wish.
His post was deleted for being against the rules here.

I wouldn't let him call you a name, either. I'm certainly not going to let him call *me* a name.

Quoting that deleted post just isn't going to happen.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Ok I agree with you. I'm just looking for a rule that clarifies when a player becomes legal. Some could argue the contrary that If the player is beckoned on the floor that she is a legal player which would make the other player bench personal and would have to sit a tick. I just want to provide my chapter with proof of the rule. I apologize for my earlier comment. I should not have done that.
You've granted a timeout. What are the rules on substituting during a timeout? They apply as soon as the timeout is granted.

(I'll let you find those. )
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I wouldn't let him call you a name, either. I'm certainly not going to let him call *me* a name.

I've apologized for my comment sir. I apologize to all that read it. It was wrong of me.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I don't normally talk that way but you struck a nerve. For you to talk to people as if there inferior does not make a productive forum. I would think we would all want a rules based open discussion. But that's just me.
I don't see anything that he said that should have struck a nerve. It was a bit curt, but if that hit a nerve, your nerves are a bit too close to the surface.

I was also surprised an entire association would miss this in a discussion. The rule is right there and pretty clear. No, "enters the court" doesn't happen during a timeout, no one is on the court at that point until the timeout is over.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
No, "enters the court" doesn't happen during a timeout, no one is on the court at that point until the timeout is over.
Not true. Players remain players during time-outs. If a substitute reports during a time-out and then subsequently enters the inbounds area, he has met the rule requirements to become a player and replace one of the five players.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

If you beckon him and he steps inbounds he becomes a player. At that moment another player becomes bench personnel and cannot reenter before clock runs. If you grant a timeout before he enters he hasn't become a player yet.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've granted a timeout. What are the rules on substituting during a timeout? They apply as soon as the timeout is granted.

(I'll let you find those. )
I will look that up now. Thank you for directing me in a direction. I will get back to you with an answer.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I don't normally talk that way but you struck a nerve. For you to talk to people as if there inferior does not make a productive forum. I would think we would all want a rules based open discussion. But that's just me.
Someone had already posted the rule with specific wording that tells you exactly when A6 becomes a player.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Jan 24, 2016 at 08:55pm.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not concerned with the name-calling. I'm bothered that you deleted my post and the quoted point of it. It was something that he could have learned from. You could have simply blocked out the name that he called you without nixing the rest of my post. Instead you were lazy and opted to delete the whole thing. His post was right about one thing--this isn't Rich.com.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Someone had already posted the rule with specific wording that tells you exactly when A6 becomes a player.

What were the specific words? That is what I'm looking for. Of it was ignored it was not with intent.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not true. Players remain players during time-outs. If a substitute reports during a time-out and then subsequently enters the inbounds area, he has met the rule requirements to become a player and replace one of the five players.
I agree players remain players during timeouts. However, I do not agree that bench personnel can become players during the timeout. When the timeout is over and they enter the court I believe they become a player. Part of the Court during timeouts is called the timeout area. I also believe the player who reports during the timeout, runs back to huddle on floor can be withdrawn and player he was going to replace can stay in.

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Jan 24, 2016 at 09:07pm.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Rule3-3-4
A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.
Closed Thread