Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 07:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
So would you prevent anything by telling A5 Can not be in the game. Or is it a technical foul for an illegal player?
The rule is that a replaced player cannot return until the clock has run.

For many years now, players do not have to identify the player they are replacing when they check in. So in reality, there's no way to identify the player who must return. IOW, there's nothing you can do here except ignore B Coach's attempt at a cheap technical foul against A.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 07:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

This is the kind of situation that's interesting to talk about, along with questions like "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin."

In the real world, though, a team can call back a sub that's reported, so whether A6 comes into the game or not, the official has nothing to do.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This is the kind of situation that's interesting to talk about, along with questions like "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin."

In the real world, though, a team can call back a sub that's reported, so whether A6 comes into the game or not, the official has nothing to do.
So when does a player become a legal player. Why check in at all? I understand what your saying and I had nothing on this play either but there is a legitimate question here. Not as silly as you make it seem.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your question is the argument. What makes it a legal entry. Because if the beckoning doesn't do it in this situation, then technically they would have to check in again before the 15 second horn. Even then if you would check in before the horn can the coach resend that sub and leave the original player in the game?
If A6 did not enter the court he did not become a player. Whatever player he reported for still is a player. A6 has reported. He could go in at end of timeout without reporting again. It is the same thing as him being at the table and being pulled back by his coach. Horn can be blown, we can say your in but until he enters he can be pulled back.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
So when does a player become a legal player. Why check in at all? I understand what your saying and I had nothing on this play either but there is a legitimate question here. Not as silly as you make it seem.
That's specifically covered in the rule book. Have a look. I'm surprised that an entire association would miss this.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's specifically covered in the rule book. Have a look. I'm surprised that an entire association would miss this.
I and we did look at it. Rule 3.3.3 but it is Not clear when he becomes a legal player. If you want to give rules in your answer I will gladly listen to you.

Last edited by johnsonboys03; Sun Jan 24, 2016 at 08:18pm.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I and we did look at it. Rule 3.3.3 but it is Not clear when he becomes a legal player. If you want to give rules in your answer I will gladly listen to you.
I've edited your post. Consider this your only warning. We don't name call around here.

What is not clear about 3-3-3?

3-3-3: A substitute becomes a player when he/she legally enters the court. If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live. A player becomes bench personnel after his/her substitute becomes a player or after notification of the coach following his/her disqualification.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

3-3-3. Sub becomes a player when he legally enters court. Player becomes bench personnel when his substitute becomes player or coach notified he DQed.

If you beckon him AND he enters, he is a player.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've edited your post. Consider this your only warning.
I don't normally talk that way but you struck a nerve. For you to talk to people as if there inferior does not make a productive forum. I would think we would all want a rules based open discussion. But that's just me.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've edited your post. Consider this your only warning. We don't name call around here.

What is not clear about 3-3-3?

3-3-3: A substitute becomes a player when he/she legally enters the court. If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live. A player becomes bench personnel after his/her substitute becomes a player or after notification of the coach following his/her disqualification.
"When he/she legally enters the court". Would being beckoned on the floor not make her legally on the floor?
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't normally talk that way but you struck a nerve. For you to talk to people as if there inferior does not make a productive forum. I would think we would all want a rules based open discussion. But that's just me.
Again, this is not the word you want.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Again, this is not the word you want.
Sorry they're
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Your initial post doesn't indicate that you or your association did any rules-based work. Why didn't you post a rule citation or two when you asked your question?

Since you're granting a timeout, there's no sub in the game. Since the player reported before the first warning horn, s/he can come in...or not...for any of the 5 players already on the floor.

EVEN IF the official beckoned in the sub after granting the timeout, I'd argue that the sub really isn't "in the game" and the official shouldn't be doing that.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
"When he/she legally enters the court". Would being beckoned on the floor not make her legally on the floor?
No. It's during a timeout.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is not the word you are looking for. (Think Jedi voice)
If you post his deleted post again, you're getting suspended.
Closed Thread