The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Kickball Arrow Question

Team A and Team B get a jumpball called. It's Team A's arrow. Team A throws the ball in Team B kicks the ball. Kickball violation called. Team A then throws the ball in again. Do they lose the arrow? Can't find it fella's.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 10:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The throw in never ended, since a defensive violation occurred during the throw in.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Questioning official would like to known: Even after the next throw in that the arrow still stays with Team A. His belief is that Tea A still gets their throw in so it should switch. *I post questions from some buddies of mine as well as questions from me if we cannot find it*
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 10:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole4088 View Post
Questioning official would like to known: Even after the next throw in that the arrow still stays with Team A. His belief is that Tea A still gets their throw in so it should switch. *I post questions from some buddies of mine as well as questions from me if we cannot find it*
The NFHS rule is that the team is entitled to an entire throw in from the arrow. If the throw in is cut short by a defensive violation (or a foul by either team), the arrow will not switch because the ensuing throw in is not a result of the arrow.

It's similar to the following scenario, even though in your case the throw in had not even begun:
Held ball called, A's ball with the arrow, then just before the throw in is administered B's coach earns himself a technical foul.

A gets the shots and the ball, and the arrow does not change.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Think of it this way...

Team A is entitled to a throw in because of...a held ball and the arrow pointing their direction.

Team B violates during the throw in, meaning the throw in never ends (true whether it's an AP throw in or not) so the arrow can't switch.

Team A now has a throw in because of the violation, not because of the arrow. The arrow still points toward A because the AP throw in never ended.

I hope I explained that well enough. That line of thinking is what helps me.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

This bring me to this question... Say Team A is throwing AP throw in. Team B goes to intercept but bobbles it and Team A player plows him over in a common foul way. Does Team A keep the arrow? I'm assuming so since no possession was established.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole4088 View Post
This bring me to this question... Say Team A is throwing AP throw in. Team B goes to intercept but bobbles it and Team A player plows him over in a common foul way. Does Team A keep the arrow? I'm assuming so since no possession was established.
If you've got a rulebook handy, look up how a throw in legally ends.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 07:10am
Administrator

Devils' Advocate.

PLAY: Held ball. Team A has the AP Arrow. A1 releases the ball on the throw-in such that it crosses the boundary line and the first contact is a kicking violation by A2.

RULING: Team B is awarded a throw-in because of A2 kicking violation.

The questions of the day is: Is the AP Arrow reversed? And why?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

From the NFHS Case Book:
4.42.5 SITUATION:

Team A is awarded an alternating-possession throw-in. A1's throw-in pass is illegally kicked by B2.

RULING: As a result of B2's kicking violation, Team A is awarded a new throw-in at the designated spot nearest to where the kicking violation (illegal touching) occurred. Since the alternating-possession throw-in had not been contacted legally, the throw-in has not ended and therefore, the arrow remains with Team A for the next alternating-possession throw-in.

COMMENT: The kicking violation ends the alternating-possession throw-in and as a result, a non-alternating-possession throw-in is administered. When the ball is legally touched on the subsequent throw-in following the kicking violation, the arrow shall not be changed and shall remain with Team A. (6-4-5)
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

In MTD's scenario, the AP arrow does change because there was a violation by the team throwing the ball in. A violation by the throw in team is the only way they can lose the arrow. A violation by the defense, or a foul on either team does not cause the arrow to change. Violations by the throw in team can include a kicked ball, taking longer than 5 seconds to release the ball, stepping over the line, moving along the end line when it is a designated spot throw in, and probably others that I can't think of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
In MTD's scenario, the AP arrow does change because there was a violation by the team throwing the ball in. A violation by the throw in team is the only way they can lose the arrow. A violation by the defense, or a foul on either team does not cause the arrow to change. Violations by the throw in team can include a kicked ball, taking longer than 5 seconds to release the ball, stepping over the line, moving along the end line when it is a designated spot throw in, and probably others that I can't think of.

Why is a kicked ball a throw-in violation which would change the arrow if it's by the throw-in team?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Why is a kicked ball a throw-in violation which would change the arrow if it's by the throw-in team?
It isn't. It isn't only "throw-in violations" that affect this play.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Because any violation by the throwing team during a throw-in ends the throw-in and causes the team to lose the arrow if it was an AP throw-in. Simple rule.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Strike the ball with a fist, cause it to enter the basket without being touched, have the ball become lodged between the ring, flange, and backboard, have the ball come to rest on the flange, pass the ball such that a teammate touches it while it is still outside of the boundary plane, hand the ball in to a teammate, pass the ball such that it does not directly enter the court, have a teammate be out of bounds after the throw-in begins, and pass the ball such that it goes OOB without being touched.

Those are some more which I can think of at the moment.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

More simply stated, any violation by the throw-in team ends the throw-in, thus the AP arrow is switched.