The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Official Down!

I just wanna know if they finished the game 2 man.

NBA Ref Scott Wall Leaves Game After Being Injured By TV Cameraman
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I can only assume. There are no stand-by officials for regular season games.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Did they work Cadillac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Did they work Cadillac?

I think officials can learn a lot about how 2-man is supposed to be worked by watching NCAA and NBA officials work when someone goes down. Their leads work strong side, their trails go where they need to go, and they play the percentages as best they can.

It's what all 2-person officiating should be.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think officials can learn a lot about how 2-man is supposed to be worked by watching NCAA and NBA officials work when someone goes down. Their leads work strong side, their trails go where they need to go, and they play the percentages as best they can.

I've never had the opportunity to see this and I've watched a lot of games.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Great points. But there is a drawback: we work a quality Cadillac in my current area and, paradoxically, it works so well that it's been one of the primary obstacles to our efforts to transition to 3-person. The schools like the product, and so they ask themselves, "why pay for a 3rd?"

Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Great points. But there is a drawback: we work a quality Cadillac in my current area and, paradoxically, it works so well that it's been one of the primary obstacles to our efforts to transition to 3-person. The schools like the product, and so they ask themselves, "why pay for a 3rd?"

You don't work Cadillac, trust me....not unless you're still using mechanics from the 1980s. Cadillac referred to officials always working on the left side of the floor (from their perspective). Trails would crossover coming up the floor to "put the crew in Cadillac." Thankfully that nonsense went out the window in the late 1980s / early 1990s.

But if you're saying that your leads stay on one side of the floor then you simply aren't giving the game the best product you can. I can officiate post play much better by working strong-side, as can any lead official.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

What you described is what we do. I wouldn't be surprised if we're the last place in America that does it. We do go strong side as L, and T goes to the top of the key to look weak side. We split the paint, too, just like in 3-p. Sometimes in transition T/new L gets run over.

Definitely a legitimate Cadillac.

Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't work Cadillac, trust me....not unless you're still using mechanics from the 1980s. Cadillac referred to officials always working on the left side of the floor (from their perspective). Trails would crossover coming up the floor to "put the crew in Cadillac." Thankfully that nonsense went out the window in the late 1980s / early 1990s.

But if you're saying that your leads stay on one side of the floor then you simply aren't giving the game the best product you can. I can officiate post play much better by working strong-side, as can any lead official.
This is the second time in a week Cadillac has come up and I recall it with the same vague sense of indigestion I got when crossing over the backcourt to keep from being in "opposite." That was an actual point of feedback from evaluators - time spent opposite.

Dear lord, the memories...
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What you described is what we do. I wouldn't be surprised if we're the last place in America that does it. We do go strong side as L, and T goes to the top of the key to look weak side. We split the paint, too, just like in 3-p. Sometimes in transition T/new L gets run over.

Definitely a legitimate Cadillac.

There's a reason no one else is doing it. Going strong side mitigates the disaster of Cadillac somewhat, but there's just no need for it. It does absolutely nothing good for positioning.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There's a reason no one else is doing it. Going strong side mitigates the disaster of Cadillac somewhat, but there's just no need for it. It does absolutely nothing good for positioning.

Two years ago I would have agreed with you. But I've found it works…IF L goes ball side as necessary and the T works really hard around the arc.

If this doesn't happen, Cadillac is as good as useless.

Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 02:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I was going to write something here, but I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with me, so I think I'll just ask you to clarify for me....
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 02:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I thought you guys already made that change this season

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 22, 2016 at 02:25pm.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I thought you guys already made that change this season

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last year was marginal, this year we're about 85%. Still several HRAC Christian schools plus our outlying Class A schools who haven't "bought in" yet.

Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 02:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I was going to write something here, but I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with me, so I think I'll just ask you to clarify for me....
1. Cadillac is dumb.
2. It's less dumb if the officials are still working angles and moving, such as lead going strong side when appropriate.
3. It's still not as good as just getting into proper position and not worrying about whether the court is on your left.