The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
There will be an administrative T against his team for the book not being ready in time.
The book doesn't need to be ready in time. The teams just need to give the information to the scorer(s) in time. And, since the V book was complete, my guess is that the teams complied with that.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Typically, we consider the home book the official record, but it's not necessarily so. Note Rule 2-4-3: "The referee shall designate the official scorebook and official scorer prior to the scheduled starting time of the game." I seem to recall, years ago, the rules did provide for the home book as official, but that may simply be my aging, faulty memory.

I work a lot of games below the varsity level, in middle school or junior high, where it is not unusual to have students working the book and clock. On rare occasions, where the home scorer is a novice and the visitor has some experience, I've designated the visitor's book as official. In any event, I always remind both scorers to check score and fouls constantly so we can catch any discrepancies promptly.
2-11-11. Home book shall be official…unless R rules otherwise.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
2-11-11. Home book shall be official…unless R rules otherwise.
I thought it was once mandatory. But I'm even older than MTD and I don't have an attic where I keep old rule books, so I could be wrong.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:19am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The book doesn't need to be ready in time. The teams just need to give the information to the scorer(s) in time. And, since the V book was complete, my guess is that the teams complied with that.
I was thinking deecee may have said that only because he wanted the v-book to be official, but that too may be a bad idea because it gives the coach wrong information for the future.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the time I misspoke and we also dodged another contentious moment in that the information that the V scorer copied had the correct starters. IF that wasn't the case I could see any hope of communication with the H coach would have probably ended there for the game.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the time I misspoke and we also dodged another contentious moment in that the information that the V scorer copied had the correct starters. IF that wasn't the case I could see any hope of communication with the H coach would have probably ended there for the game.
If V is designated "official" and V mis-copies the starters, then that's still not an issue.

(Well, it's not a T. It can lead to an issue if H now doesn't trust V.)
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If V is designated "official" and V mis-copies the starters, then that's still not an issue.

(Well, it's not a T. It can lead to an issue if H now doesn't trust V.)
IF the starters were never given to them because V just went to the H book and copied what they had and looked to a previous game that had the starters listed and used that?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IF the starters were never given to them because V just went to the H book and copied what they had and looked to a previous game that had the starters listed and used that?
Well, that's different from the previous scenario (or the assumptions made in the previous scenario). And it doesn't matter whether it's the H book or the V book.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, that's different from the previous scenario (or the assumptions made in the previous scenario). And it doesn't matter whether it's the H book or the V book.
I agree.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 01:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehullsc96 View Post
Was it ok to hit the horn then (as opposed to a true dead ball) to have the R come to the table and settle this? Also, does the VBook have any say in the situation at all, if Hbook is sure he's correct and no one else has any reason to question him?
Yes. It's simple, give the books a minute to go through everything and see if they can find the discrepancy. If they cannot, go with the official book and tell the other book to update to match the official book. If you really care that much you can check with the team benches to see if they have a second coach or something keeping stats as well but that is a little too complicated IMO.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Yes. It's simple, give the books a minute to go through everything and see if they can find the discrepancy. If they cannot, go with the official book and tell the other book to update to match the official book.
Why? Isn't all you have to do is say "that's the official book, and that's what matters"? I would think since the other book is un-official, you would not instruct them to do anything.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 11:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Why? Isn't all you have to do is say "that's the official book, and that's what matters"? I would think since the other book is un-official, you would not instruct them to do anything.
You are saying you would allow both books to continue with a discrepancy?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 12:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You are saying you would allow both books to continue with a discrepancy?
The book that's not official means nothing. Once I make a decision that we're sticking with what the home book says, it's up to the V book to match up; but I'm not holding up the game while they do it.