The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Home and visitor book not matching (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100724-home-visitor-book-not-matching.html)

stevehullsc96 Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:15pm

Home and visitor book not matching

I'm a parent volunteer for the boys Freshmen team. Working the scoreboard/clock recently when the HBook and VBook were not on the same page. My team is home. HBook has playerX getting his 5th foul early into the 4th quarter. VBook shows only 4 for that player. They have not been matching up the fouls all game (which rarely, if ever, happens on our Freshman table - we're lucky if the VBook is even there).
A huge blow up occurs between the 2 scorers, with the VBook incredulous that it's correct and the home book is "clueless." Now both books are arguing back and forth, and it's causing a scene and I can't hear the referee on the court - game is continuing to be played. Finally, I had enough and after a made basket I hit the horn a few times to get the R to stop play and come to the table.
Was it ok to hit the horn then (as opposed to a true dead ball) to have the R come to the table and settle this? Also, does the VBook have any say in the situation at all, if Hbook is sure he's correct and no one else has any reason to question him?

Adam Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:19pm

First, yes, hit the horn during a dead ball (like after a made basket) to get the R to the table. If nothing else, you needed to get him involved because you couldn't hear them.

Second, unless there's reason to doubt the home book, I'm going with what it says. I'm not sure I could define "reason to doubt" here, though, because it would depend largely on the specific situation.

BryanV21 Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:22pm

At least in central Ohio (at work, don't have my book handy to verify the rule), we're told the home book is the official book.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:24pm

If H book has a player with his 5th foul, then the official should be so notified and the issue discovered / addressed then. You (the books) might be able to figure out that either that foul or the one just prior was posted to the wrong player (in one book or the other).

If the issue goes back more than that, it's unlikely to be resolved -- especially at the Frosh level -- and you have to go with the H book.

Amesman Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:27pm

You are a part of the official crew, so yes, you need to be able to do your duties unencumbered so as long as you pick an appropriate time to halt play, you done good to buzz and get the ref over to help settle things.

How did the ref resolve this between the squabblers? Any threats of moving the V book off the table?

stevehullsc96 Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:45pm

Thanks for the replies... R came over, did great. Calmly asked the VBook what his problem was, then asked the HBook. Asked HBook if he was sure he was correct? HBook said yes and that was it. HBook was official. The VBook only gave the scorer, and I, the "screw you" look a few more times the rest of the game. :)

Amesman Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehullsc96 (Post 977443)
... gave the scorer, and I, the "screw you" look a few more times the rest of the game. :)

See, told you that you ARE a full-fledged member of the official crew! :D

Freddy Thu Jan 21, 2016 03:21pm

Was He Really One of the Eagles with Glenn Frey?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehullsc96 (Post 977443)
The VBook only gave the scorer, and I, the "screw you" look a few more times the rest of the game. :)

Never would this have been tolerated back when "The Eagle" was at the table assisting the floor officials!
:)

BTW, I wonder where he landed?

JRutledge Thu Jan 21, 2016 03:32pm

Unless I can find the mistake or the reason there is a mistake, I am going with the home book (official book) all the time. If we can find the mistake that was made in the home book, then we will adjust. This is something the book people should have raised our attention about much earlier than when the 5 fouls occurred.

Peace

stevehullsc96 Thu Jan 21, 2016 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 977444)
See, told you that you ARE a full-fledged member of the official crew! :D

Ha ha. Thanks. I'm feel like I've been initiated into a special club now. :D

jpgc99 Thu Jan 21, 2016 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 977446)
Never would this have been tolerated back when "The Eagle" was at the table assisting the floor officials!
:)

BTW, I wonder where he landed?

This is hilarious. Great post.

BillyMac Thu Jan 21, 2016 04:19pm

And Please Don't Say Eagle Three Times ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 977446)
"The Eagle" ... I wonder where he landed?

Please don't tempt fate.

biggravy Fri Jan 22, 2016 01:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 977450)
This is hilarious. Great post.

Yep! CHSeagle! Classic!

LRZ Fri Jan 22, 2016 09:36am

Typically, we consider the home book the official record, but it's not necessarily so. Note Rule 2-4-3: "The referee shall designate the official scorebook and official scorer prior to the scheduled starting time of the game." I seem to recall, years ago, the rules did provide for the home book as official, but that may simply be my aging, faulty memory.

I work a lot of games below the varsity level, in middle school or junior high, where it is not unusual to have students working the book and clock. On rare occasions, where the home scorer is a novice and the visitor has some experience, I've designated the visitor's book as official. In any event, I always remind both scorers to check score and fouls constantly so we can catch any discrepancies promptly.

deecee Fri Jan 22, 2016 09:42am

I had one BV occassion where i go to check the book before the game started and the home book was completely only half done and the scorekeeper no where in sight. The visiting book was complete and their scorer was there and ready to go. I chatted with her for 1 minute and my confidence in her (mostly for being there and ready) was higher than the home book so I made the V book the official book. The home scorer returns with about 3 minutes to tip off and when we go to meet the coaches says something along the lines of the book is ready if you want to check it. I told him no need that the V book was the designated official book for the game.

He was upset and told the HC who then questioned my decision. As the HC started talking I told him I can make the H book the official book but then There will be an administrative T against his team for the book not being ready in time. Can you guess which book was the official book for the game?