The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This play is very simple to adjudicate. It is only worth 2 points at any level. If you need proof, keep reading.

A.R. 103. A ball passed from behind the three-point line: 1� Enters the basket from above and passes through; 2� Is deflected and enters the basket from above and passes through; or 3� Strikes the side of the ring or the flange� RULING 1: A three-point goal shall be counted. 2: When there is no possibility of the ball entering the basket from above and the deflection causes the goal to be successful, it shall be a two-point goal. However, when a ball is passed in the direction of the basket with the possibility of entering the basket from above and the deflection does not influence its success, a three-point goal shall be counted. 3: The ball shall remain live. In each case, when a passed ball hits the ring and does not enter the basket, there is no reset of the shot clock. (Rule 5-1.1, 5-1.2.a, 5-1.3 and .4, 4-24 and 2-11.6.d)
I had this happen in a regional final a few years ago. I counted it as a 2 for these reasons. It would help if the nfhs play was written like ar 103.

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Jan 15, 2016 at 03:13pm.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 03:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This play is very simple to adjudicate. It is only worth 2 points at any level. If you need proof, keep reading.

A.R. 103. A ball passed from behind the three-point line: 1� Enters the basket from above and passes through; 2� Is deflected and enters the basket from above and passes through; or 3� Strikes the side of the ring or the flange� RULING 1: A three-point goal shall be counted. 2: When there is no possibility of the ball entering the basket from above and the deflection causes the goal to be successful, it shall be a two-point goal. However, when a ball is passed in the direction of the basket with the possibility of entering the basket from above and the deflection does not influence its success, a three-point goal shall be counted. 3: The ball shall remain live. In each case, when a passed ball hits the ring and does not enter the basket, there is no reset of the shot clock. (Rule 5-1.1, 5-1.2.a, 5-1.3 and .4, 4-24 and 2-11.6.d)
I agree with the conclusion (bob's guidelines are great), but I disagree that an NCAA A.R. constitutes proof of how it should be ruled at any level except NCAA.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 12:12am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree with the conclusion (bob's guidelines are great), but I disagree that an NCAA A.R. constitutes proof of how it should be ruled at any level except NCAA.
All of the necessary definitions and rules are identical. No reason not to apply the NCAA A.R. to NFHS contests.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All of the necessary definitions and rules are identical. No reason not to apply the NCAA A.R. to NFHS contests.
In this specific case the NCAA ruling matches that of the NFHS. However, your general claim that it is okay to apply rulings of one governing authority to games conducted under another is preposterous. That will only lead to problems.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Because a three-point try ends when it's obviously short. If it were a pass cross court it's obviously short and going the wrong way.
I originally read this like it was an alley-opp type pass. If that is not what the OP meant, I agree it would only be a 2 point shot. And I do not have a good answer if it is not. I just know that they said that a shot/pass that was behind the 3 point line and goes in was to be treated like a shot and counts as a 3. They used to allow us to make a judgment either way.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 01:11am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In this specific case the NCAA ruling matches that of the NFHS. However, your general claim that it is okay to apply rulings of one governing authority to games conducted under another is preposterous. That will only lead to problems.
Where exactly did I say that it is okay to apply all of the rulings of one governing authority to games conducted under another? Both of the posts I made in this thread were specific to the situation presented in the OP. Again, as I said previously, all of the relevant definitions and rules regarding the OP are identical in both NCAA-M and NFHS, therefore, there is no reason not to use the AR I posted to determine the correct adjudication of this play in either NCAA or NFHS games.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I originally read this like it was an alley-opp type pass. If that is not what the OP meant, I agree it would only be a 2 point shot. And I do not have a good answer if it is not. I just know that they said that a shot/pass that was behind the 3 point line and goes in was to be treated like a shot and counts as a 3. They used to allow us to make a judgment either way.

Peace
I'm trying to imagine an alley-oop that goes from wing to wing across the free-throw line. LOL
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 06:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine an alley-oop that goes from wing to wing across the free-throw line. LOL
You have never seen a corner to corner pass?

Peace
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You have never seen a corner to corner pass?

Peace
I have, but that's not what happened in the OP as I understood it. In what you just said I could maybe see scoring 3 points.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure you can't even imagine it. Wing to wing with a defensive player hitting the ball at FT line was the play.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I'm sure you can't even imagine it. Wing to wing with a defensive player hitting the ball at FT line was the play.
This is what you said in the OP and it makes sense. Just a crazy basket.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where exactly did I say that it is okay to apply all of the rulings of one governing authority to games conducted under another? Both of the posts I made in this thread were specific to the situation presented in the OP. Again, as I said previously, all of the relevant definitions and rules regarding the OP are identical in both NCAA-M and NFHS, therefore, there is no reason not to use the AR I posted to determine the correct adjudication of this play in either NCAA or NFHS games.
A basketball official can't pick and choose either. A ruling issued by one authority doesn't have any merit in the realm of another.

What you want to do would be the same as a judge applying the law in Michigan to a case in Ohio. While the subject matter may be the same, it just doesn't pertain.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

What you want to do would be the same as a judge applying the law in Michigan to a case in Ohio. While the subject matter may be the same, it just doesn't pertain.
Actually, in the absence of controlling authority in a state, judges DO consider rulings from other states as "persuasive" authority. I think the same applies here: in the ensconce of NFHS authority a ref can CONSIDER the logic of NCAA rulings to help do his own analysis.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

So consensus is that this should be scored as a 2 pt basket?