The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Over and back (backcourt) on back tap

Team A missed shot
Team A back taps the ball it bounces around the 3p line heading towards division line.
Team A player attempts to grab ball near division line (hands of stone) never controls it and ball goes into backcourt.
Team A then recovers ball in backcourt.

Violation or not?

When asked at halftime I said no because they never established team control after the try. Veteran Official who works state level games called the violation.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
Team A missed shot
Team A back taps the ball it bounces around the 3p line heading towards division line.
Team A player attempts to grab ball near division line (hands of stone) never controls it and ball goes into backcourt.

Violation or not?

When asked at halftime I said no because they never established team control after the try. Veteran Official who works state level games called the violation.
I agree with you.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I agree with you.
On top of agreeing with him you are both correct.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:14pm
AremRed

Had a similar play last night. I was Slot opposite, ball got stolen and subsequently touched by the same team in their front court and back court but without control established. Trail blew a violation but looked kinda unsure. I saw the play and came over and offered information that I didn't think there was control in the FC to start. We fixed it but the coach who would have benefited was pissed, railed on me how we should have gone to the arrow since we "disagreed".
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

The way I was taught......would you have granted a timeout to the team? If the answer is no, then you would not have a backcourt violation.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Rules references:

Rule: 4-12-3
ART. 3
Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.
----------------------------
Rules reference:
Rule: 9-9-1
ART. 1
A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe he judged control.

Or, else he kicked it.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
The way I was taught......would you have granted a timeout to the team? If the answer is no, then you would not have a backcourt violation.
This thinking isn't going to work in all scenarios.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 01:36pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Had a similar play last night. I was Slot opposite, ball got stolen and subsequently touched by the same team in their front court and back court but without control established. Trail blew a violation but looked kinda unsure. I saw the play and came over and offered information that I didn't think there was control in the FC to start. We fixed it but the coach who would have benefited was pissed, railed on me how we should have gone to the arrow since we "disagreed".
Was there control in the BC, or was it from a throw-in?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Not a violation despite the fact that half the gym and one coach will go nuts.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 02:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Team A missed shot

Violation or not?

Who asked you at halftime? Were you working the game with the state tournament official or just watching?

Do you live in VA?

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 14, 2016 at 02:42pm.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Rules references:

Rule: 4-12-3
ART. 3
Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.
----------------------------
Rules reference:
Rule: 9-9-1
ART. 1
A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
So a missed dunk that clangs off the rim remains as team control? Similar play as above in the Iowa State-Texas game on January 12 where a missed dunk saw ball go into back court without any player securing possession. The team that missed the dunk was first to touch in backcourt and a violation was called.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
So a missed dunk that clangs off the rim remains as team control? Similar play as above in the Iowa State-Texas game on January 12 where a missed dunk saw ball go into back court without any player securing possession. The team that missed the dunk was first to touch in backcourt and a violation was called.
No.

Either you described it wrong, the officials judged it not a dunk "try", or they kicked it.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I had a play last night where the rebound was loose and bouncing toward the backcourt. The offensive team went after it and one player touched it with a hand (not a dribble) and finally established control in the backcourt. No whistle from me. The other team's coach couldn't believe I didn't call it, but then took a look at the scoreboard and backed off (his team was up like 25 in the last two minutes). I didn't even need to use the explanation I had planned for him.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is A Job For ...

... The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules:

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted, by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt, or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted, by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)