The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Over and back (backcourt) on back tap (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100682-over-back-backcourt-back-tap.html)

JMUplayer Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:56am

Over and back (backcourt) on back tap

Team A missed shot
Team A back taps the ball it bounces around the 3p line heading towards division line.
Team A player attempts to grab ball near division line (hands of stone) never controls it and ball goes into backcourt.
Team A then recovers ball in backcourt.

Violation or not?

When asked at halftime I said no because they never established team control after the try. Veteran Official who works state level games called the violation.

frezer11 Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMUplayer (Post 976615)
Team A missed shot
Team A back taps the ball it bounces around the 3p line heading towards division line.
Team A player attempts to grab ball near division line (hands of stone) never controls it and ball goes into backcourt.

Violation or not?

When asked at halftime I said no because they never established team control after the try. Veteran Official who works state level games called the violation.

I agree with you.

Dad Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 976616)
I agree with you.

On top of agreeing with him you are both correct.

AremRed Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:14pm

Had a similar play last night. I was Slot opposite, ball got stolen and subsequently touched by the same team in their front court and back court but without control established. Trail blew a violation but looked kinda unsure. I saw the play and came over and offered information that I didn't think there was control in the FC to start. We fixed it but the coach who would have benefited was pissed, railed on me how we should have gone to the arrow since we "disagreed".

pfan1981 Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:14pm

The way I was taught......would you have granted a timeout to the team? If the answer is no, then you would not have a backcourt violation.

#olderthanilook Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:16pm

Rules references:

Rule: 4-12-3
ART. 3
Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.
----------------------------
Rules reference:
Rule: 9-9-1
ART. 1
A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:22pm

Quote:

Maybe he judged control.

Or, else he kicked it.

Dad Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 976619)
The way I was taught......would you have granted a timeout to the team? If the answer is no, then you would not have a backcourt violation.

This thinking isn't going to work in all scenarios.

bainsey Thu Jan 14, 2016 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 976618)
Had a similar play last night. I was Slot opposite, ball got stolen and subsequently touched by the same team in their front court and back court but without control established. Trail blew a violation but looked kinda unsure. I saw the play and came over and offered information that I didn't think there was control in the FC to start. We fixed it but the coach who would have benefited was pissed, railed on me how we should have gone to the arrow since we "disagreed".

Was there control in the BC, or was it from a throw-in?

SC Official Thu Jan 14, 2016 02:00pm

Not a violation despite the fact that half the gym and one coach will go nuts.

Raymond Thu Jan 14, 2016 02:40pm

Quote:

Team A missed shot

Violation or not?

Who asked you at halftime? Were you working the game with the state tournament official or just watching?

Do you live in VA?

LeeBallanfant Thu Jan 14, 2016 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 976620)
Rules references:

Rule: 4-12-3
ART. 3
Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.
----------------------------
Rules reference:
Rule: 9-9-1
ART. 1
A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

So a missed dunk that clangs off the rim remains as team control? Similar play as above in the Iowa State-Texas game on January 12 where a missed dunk saw ball go into back court without any player securing possession. The team that missed the dunk was first to touch in backcourt and a violation was called.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 14, 2016 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 976641)
So a missed dunk that clangs off the rim remains as team control? Similar play as above in the Iowa State-Texas game on January 12 where a missed dunk saw ball go into back court without any player securing possession. The team that missed the dunk was first to touch in backcourt and a violation was called.

No.

Either you described it wrong, the officials judged it not a dunk "try", or they kicked it.

RedAndWhiteRef Thu Jan 14, 2016 03:26pm

I had a play last night where the rebound was loose and bouncing toward the backcourt. The offensive team went after it and one player touched it with a hand (not a dribble) and finally established control in the backcourt. No whistle from me. The other team's coach couldn't believe I didn't call it, but then took a look at the scoreboard and backed off (his team was up like 25 in the last two minutes). I didn't even need to use the explanation I had planned for him.

BillyMac Thu Jan 14, 2016 04:42pm

This Is A Job For ...

... The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules:

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted, by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt, or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted, by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations.