The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Jersey rule question

I need some clarification on what the heck this rule means, if anyone knows. I believe that I need a picture.

The last sentence of 3-4-1b: "The imaginary line at the base of the neckline shall not extend beyond 1 1/2 inches from the lowest point of the neckline apex/opening."
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I need some clarification on what the heck this rule means, if anyone knows. I believe that I need a picture.

The last sentence of 3-4-1b: "The imaginary line at the base of the neckline shall not extend beyond 1 1/2 inches from the lowest point of the neckline apex/opening."
I plugged in "nfhs uniform rules" in Internet and a pdf document with pictures was there. Nfhs.org. 2015/16 uniform rules. The uniform jersey has a V neck opening. The "imaginary line" in the picture runs across the front of the jersey right below or even with the bottom of the V. There are no restrictions on the area above the imaginary line. I'm guessing that the "beyond 1.5 inch" language means that the imaginary line could be lowered 1.5 inches from the bottom of the V. That would give a team more room above the line and would affect placement of numbers below it. I don't know.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Jan 07, 2016 at 10:41pm.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

I have the PDF. It doesn't mention the sentence about which I have the question.

My guess as to what it means is the same as you wrote. However, I find that confusing. Why not just write the rule one way with precision? Either say that it is a line across the apex of the neckline or a line 1 1/2 inches below the opening of the neckline.

Having pictures of one while the other is in the book is confusing.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

The document I opened had two pages. The second page drawing did have the language next to it but didn't point out exactly what it meant. An arrow or something would have been helpful.

The placement of the imaginary line affects what can go where above and below the line. I'm assuming they wanted to give teams flexibility to have bigger number or bigger memorial patch. I don't know. One clear rule would be........clear. So we know that won't happen....

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Jan 07, 2016 at 11:22pm.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 07:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

What Exit ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Nevadaref
Why does an official from Nevada have a question about a rule in New Jersey?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

These diagrams seem pretty comprehensive: https://www.nfhs.org/media/1015580/2...l-uniforms.pdf

But I'm not bringing a tape measure or level out onto the court with me.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
These diagrams seem pretty comprehensive: https://www.nfhs.org/media/1015580/2...l-uniforms.pdf

But I'm not bringing a tape measure or level out onto the court with me.

I once worked with a guy who travelled to remote villages with a tape measure. He used it to measure basket height hand distance from the rim to the FT line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I once worked with a guy who travelled to remote villages with a tape measure. He used it to measure basket height hand distance from the rim to the FT line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would he measure that (ignoring the typo on "hand")? The book specifies the distance from the face of the backboard to the FT line.

And, while there's usually a pin-hole in the floor directly under the center of the basket, you'd also have to measure the basket diameter to be sure the FT line was the correct distance from the backboard.

Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why would he measure that (ignoring the typo on "hand")? The book specifies the distance from the face of the backboard to the FT line.

And, while there's usually a pin-hole in the floor directly under the center of the basket, you'd also have to measure the basket diameter to be sure the FT line was the correct distance from the backboard.

Don't forget the length of the flange!
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Has there ever been a movement to have some process by which these types of things are approved and certified on regular basis so that officials don't have to mess with them?

For example, could state associations develop a process by which schools submit uniform designs online and receive an approval to document the uniform meets the required standards. I don't think many of miss the obviously illegal uniforms, but the stuff like having a patch half an inch too low on the jersey or the numbers are a quarter inch too narrow aren't as easy to spot. I don't think too many of us worry too much about those types of things to begin with, but it would be nice to know that the matter has already been looked at and approved. It would also benefit those schools that have someone without knowledge of the rules design uniforms that end up being illegal and then encounter the expense of buying a second set that are legal. If they have to get approval first, then they don't get the illegal ones made in the first place.

The same concept could be used for fields and courts. Someone could come out annually or biannually and inspect the fields/courts and certify them. Doesn't eliminate our responsibility to check for abnormal situations or things that might have been altered after the inspection, but hopefully it eliminates the problems that are hard/impossible to correct (court not marked properly or improper size).