The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 09:45pm
This IS My Social Life

Jersey/Undershirt Test Question

Please evaluate the following test question (whether it's actually a legitimate question with the possible answers that are offered):

Team A is wearing red uniform tops. A5 is wearing the Team A red top, but is also wearing a lime green T-shirt underneath the uniform top, and the arms of the T-shirt are clearly visible (in more ways than one). When the officials notice this fashion statement during warm-up, they will properly rule that:

A. A5 must remove the green T-shirt immediately as it falls under the officials’ jurisdiction pursuant to Federation Rule 3-7
B. Pursuant to Federation Rule 3-5-7, A5 may not participate in the warm-up unless and until she removes the green T-shirt
C. A5 may participate in the warm-up as is, but may not participate in the game unless and until the T-shirt is removed
D. A5 may participate in both the warm-up and the game as is because her attire is in compliance with Federation Rule 3-5-5

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Dec 02, 2010 at 11:26pm. Reason: Speeling Mistaks
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

B
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:51pm
This IS My Social Life

3-5-7???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
B
Is that rule really applicable to the situation?

3-5-7: ART. 7 . . . Jewelry is prohibited. Religious and medical-alert medals are not
considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform.
A medical-alert medal must be taped and may be visible.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Dec 02, 2010 at 11:40pm. Reason: Had Incorrect Reference -- Fixed It
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

3-5-7 addresses jewelry.

You quoted 3-5-1, kinda.

Since the undershirt is not appropriate because it is illegal under 3-5-5 and since A5 is a team member, he cannot wear the undershirt during warm-ups.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 07:27am
In Memoriam

Freddy brought up a good point in a PM to me....

NFHS Case Book Play 3.5 SITUATION B:
The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the team warm-ups. One official notes that a member of team A is wearing a decorative necklace.
RULING: The official should inform the teammember to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

Which brought up the questions(also in another thread btw)...
1) does the same concept apply to undershirts?
2) if the question above listed "jewelry" instead of "undershirt", would A now be the correct answer?
3) Does the player with the illegal jewelry/undershirt have to remove the jewelry/undershirt immediately? Or can the player simply refuse?

It all goes back to what I thought we had to do in that situation. I thought that we couldn't tell any player to remove anything. We could just inform them that they couldn't participate until they removed the illegal item. The final decision was up to the player though. They had the option of sitting on the bench wearing their illegal jewelry/undershirt.

Thoughts(because mine might be wrong)?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Freddy brought up a good point in a PM to me....

NFHS Case Book Play 3.5 SITUATION B:
The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the team warm-ups. One official notes that a member of team A is wearing a decorative necklace.
RULING: The official should inform the teammember to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

Which brought up the questions(also in another thread btw)...
1) does the same concept apply to undershirts?
2) if the question above listed "jewelry" instead of "undershirt", would A now be the correct answer?
3) Does the player with the illegal jewelry/undershirt have to remove the jewelry/undershirt immediately? Or can the player simply refuse?

It all goes back to what I thought we had to do in that situation. I thought that we couldn't tell any player to remove anything. We could just inform them that they couldn't participate until they removed the illegal item. The final decision was up to the player though. They had the option of sitting on the bench wearing their illegal jewelry/undershirt.

Thoughts(because mine might be wrong)?
I'd have the same answer for both jewelry and undershirts (and head bands, and compression shorts, and casts, ...) -- remove it or don't warm-up or play.

If the person is wearing the illegal item, then they are not, by definition, a team member (they are not "in uniform and eligible to play").
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 09:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd have the same answer for both jewelry and undershirts (and head bands, and compression shorts, and casts, ...) -- remove it or don't warm-up or play.

If the person is wearing the illegal item, then they are not, by definition, a team member (they are not "in uniform and eligible to play").
That's in line with my understanding of the rule. You can tell the person to remove the illegal item but they don't have to comply. They just can't participate until they do comply.

Which makes B the closest correct answer in the OP if you change the rules reference to 3-5-5.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 09:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's in line with my understanding of the rule. You can tell the person to remove the illegal item but they don't have to comply. They just can't participate until they do comply.

Which makes B the closest correct answer in the OP if you change the rules reference to 3-5-5.
I was going more off of the corrective action, knowing the rule was off but not having the book handy to verify. I should have been more verbose.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If they're not team members, then they're just spectators shooting around with the team during warm-ups. Essentially the same as when the varsity team shoots around during the JV warm-ups.

So are you going to tell them they can't be on the court for warm-ups? You can't tell him/her to remove the t-shirt, b/c they're not a team member. That would be like telling the guy in the front row to take off his tie because it's ugly.

I think saying they're not team members is taking it too far. They are obviously team members who are dressed illegally.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
That would be like telling the guy in the front row to take off his tie because it's ugly.
Wait, are we not supposed to do that?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
If they're not team members, then they're just spectators shooting around with the team during warm-ups. Essentially the same as when the varsity team shoots around during the JV warm-ups.

So are you going to tell them they can't be on the court for warm-ups? You can't tell him/her to remove the t-shirt, b/c they're not a team member. That would be like telling the guy in the front row to take off his tie because it's ugly.

I think saying they're not team members is taking it too far. They are obviously team members who are dressed illegally.
Semantics. The important part is that we aren't supposed to let 'em warm up until the remove the illegal jewelry/undershirt. Right?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:23pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Semantics. The important part is that we aren't supposed to let 'em warm up until the remove the illegal jewelry/undershirt. Right?
Right. Which is exactly why you can't say that they're NOT team members. If they're not team members, then you can't tell them what they can or can't wear.