The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

offensive 3 seconds

when the ball is advanced to the front court and an offensive player is in the lane for 3 seconds.

if he takes one foot and places it outside the lane does this restart the 3 second count once he places his foot back in the lane?
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
No.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

ART. 2 . . . The three-second restriction applies to a player who has only one foot touching the lane boundary. The line is part of the lane. All lines designating the free-throw lane, but not lanespace marks, are part of the lane.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeps View Post
when the ball is advanced to the front court and an offensive player is in the lane for 3 seconds.

if he takes one foot and places it outside the lane does this restart the 3 second count once he places his foot back in the lane?
Can't "restart" something that hasn't stopped (by rule)
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There is no such thing as 3-seconds in pick-up ball.
dangit

we call it but only when he is literally 15+ seconds in there. he says as long as he moves his foot he is ok

we play a hodge podge mix of rules. some hs, some college and some pro. i have tried to enforce the shirt tucked in at all times but i just get strange looks
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Your question is a little bit unclear...

technically by rule if he has one foot in and one foot out the count continues.

if he takes the foot that is in...moves it out and then back in, then yes the count restarts.

As long as he has one foot in the lane the count continues.

I would be careful about how close you are watching/calling this though. If he is straddling the lane line while the ball is passed around the perimeter for 5-10-15 seconds I don't particularly care about that. If a defender is dedicated to him, and he is straddling the lane trying to establish position then I will get it. I might...and stress might...call 3 or 4 three second violations in a season of 60-70 games and that is usually when someone drives, gets stopped and is pivoting trying to pass the ball out. Otherwise all it does is interrupt the game.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
we play a hodge podge mix of rules. some hs, some college and some pro. i have tried to enforce the shirt tucked in at all times but i just get strange looks
I can't wrap my arms around this.

You use three different rule sets....and also concern yourself with shirts being tucked in? Just let it go and have some fun!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

this is strictly pick up. we try to keep things fair as we are all older.

he will literally stand in the lane and we have counted from the side multiple times of 15+ seconds
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I can't wrap my arms around this.

You use three different rule sets....and also concern yourself with shirts being tucked in? Just let it go and have some fun!

the shirts is a joke

the three sets of rules is because no one is sure of any one rule so they will say, well in college you can...in the pros you can etc...
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Such a player is in the lane until BOTH feet touch the floor outside the lane. Merely picking up the foot in the lane is not sufficient.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

i dont think anyone wants that headache

anyone near the pittsburgh area by the airport, theres some cash involved
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:25pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You obviously need to recruit a referee to join your games as a player.
...and the game would stop for long periods of time as there would be discussions about: intentional or not, or advantage vs disadvantage, block or charge, LGP or not, or the meaning or intent of a rule, or just no I didn't/yes you did.

Is this Old School?
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

No good can come of this...

It's really nitpicking to expect a guy to get a 3 second call while straddling the lane line in a pickup game with no ref. Maybe you should join a structured league that has referees. Or maybe you should become a ref. Sounds like it's a logical career move.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
No good can come of this...

It's really nitpicking to expect a guy to get a 3 second call while straddling the lane line in a pickup game with no ref. Maybe you should join a structured league that has referees. Or maybe you should become a ref. Sounds like it's a logical career move.
ha...i have 0 patience. id throw moms and dads out like it was my job

if hes in there for 5 seconds, no biggie. i know im not allowed to repeat myself but i kid you not....hes in there a 1/4 of a minute and if you body him up and ease him out of the lane he calls foul

you know...youre general pick up shennanigans
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 09:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The List ...

Quote:
when the ball is advanced to the front court and an offensive player is in the lane for 3 seconds. If he takes one foot and places it outside the lane does this restart the 3 second count once he places his foot back in the lane?
The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player in the lane to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot, and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three-second count during an interrupted dribble. There is a three-second count while an offensive player has one foot in the lane, and one foot outside of the lane, and the three-second count continues if this player lifts the foot in the lane so that neither foot is touching inside the lane. To stop the count this player must have both feet touch the court outside of the lane. It’s a violation for a player to step out of bounds in an attempt to avoid a three second violation. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in, or moves immediately to try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)