The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Delay of game question

"COULD" a delay of game T be called prior to warning in this sitch:

Following basket by B, B5 gets ball out of net and acts as if he's looking for ref, while at same time drifting back upcourt with ball, clearly (whether intentional or not is only known to him I suppose) delaying action to allow his team a press set up. Team A has player on baseline for throw in and other players in immediate position to field inbounds pass, but a few seconds at least are used by B5's actions. After getting to about 3 point line, he finally throws it half across court to baseline official, who passes it over to A1 to make inbound pass. While this definitely deserves a delay WARNING, could a T be called?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I don't really see how this is different from any other situation of "interfering with the ball after a goal" or whatever the specific wording is.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 11:01am
High Five Master

I would not let him get that far away before blowing it dead to issue warning and record it in book.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post

Following basket by B, B5 gets ball out of net and acts as if he's looking for ref, while at same time drifting back upcourt with ball, clearly (whether intentional or not is only known to him I suppose) delaying action to allow his team a press set up. Team A has player on baseline for throw in and other players in immediate position to field inbounds pass, but a few seconds at least are used by B5's actions. After getting to about 3 point line, he finally throws it half across court to baseline official, who passes it over to A1 to make inbound pass. While this definitely deserves a delay WARNING, could a T be called?
You can always call a T if it rises to the unsporting level. You are not required to warn first. Just like some coaches think they are entitled to 2 techs before ejection..no matter what. Not true. You can go straight to flagrant if the actions warrant it.

In your situation, I would blow the whistle when i see him grab it and not release it. Head to table for the delay warning. If he still isn't giving up the ball then T, obviously. I wouldn't let him wander that far with the ball as others have pointed out.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Jan 06, 2016 at 11:07am.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Actual play

Team B has not had a delay warning yet and down by 3 with about 10 secs left and out of time outs, scores 2 pt goal. B5 grabs ball before A can get it, possibly hoping for delay whistle which stops clock in their favor. Officials are reluctant to hit whistle for this reason, possibly, I don't know, but no stoppage occurred. B gets to set up press and almost gets steal before A controls and advances until final horn.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team B has not had a delay warning yet and down by 3 with about 10 secs left and out of time outs, scores 2 pt goal. B5 grabs ball before A can get it, possibly hoping for delay whistle which stops clock in their favor. Officials are reluctant to hit whistle for this reason, possibly, I don't know, but no stoppage occurred. B gets to set up press and almost gets steal before A controls and advances until final horn.
The case book has a play about delay during the last few seconds. Apply it.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Oh man I got something better than a T. Probably really bad yet really tempting...

That clock is running with under 10 seconds I dont blow my whistle at all and hope he throws me the ball. Then I walk to the guy out of bounds and slowly hand him the ball. And since by now they delayed the offense from getting the ball and its under 5 seconds under my breath I say do not throw, as the time will run out before he has to throw it. If the coach tries to give me any crap I will say if your kid hadnt delayed them getting the ball the 5 second count would have started a long time ago coach....

Turn my back and display an evil grin.

Honestly if a team (player isnt smart enough) to wait until about 3-4 seconds into that count and toss the ball high and deep into their front court and realize that by the time it flies in the air, is controlled by the defensive team and dribbled then shot that time will be gone then they deserve to lose. Not like college where the clock stops on a made basket and I see too many teams not understand how to use up 10 seconds easily not giving their opponent a last shot chance.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The case book has a play about delay during the last few seconds. Apply it.
I believe it's five seconds, not ten.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Whistle should have blown long before this for a DOG warning.

Why would you want to call a T when you have a rule book remedy already in place?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As soon as the delay happens I'm blowing my whistle. Waiting here doesn't make any sense to me.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I believe it's five seconds, not ten.
It's 5 seconds to the delay, but I think BigT is saying you can burn about 10 seconds if you play it right. Once the ball has gone through the hoop, the opposing team can easily burn 2-3 seconds retrieving the ball and getting OOB to begin the throwin count. If the thrower then uses 4.9 second before releasing the throw, and tosses the ball high in the air toward the other end of the court, chances are that the clock runs out while the ball is in the air.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Team B has not had a delay warning yet and down by 3 with about 10 secs left and out of time outs...
Don't you think you should have included this information in the original posting? We answer the question then the important details are changed.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Along these lines, is there an official scorekeeping record of the DOG warning? I generally have the table make a notation as to the time/quarter, etc. I have never been clear as to whether they should be doing something else, such as writing the player number down, etc.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

How I am reading the OP is this. They want you to call a DOG to stop the clock so that IF they steal it they have more time to call a time out or run a play to win the game. Isnt this the definition of an unsporting act. If we call the DOG havent we helped that team have a shot at winning the game? I need to read the case book as someone said above.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
How I am reading the OP is this. They want you to call a DOG to stop the clock so that IF they steal it they have more time to call a time out or run a play to win the game. Isnt this the definition of an unsporting act. If we call the DOG havent we helped that team have a shot at winning the game? I need to read the case book as someone said above.
Warning for delay:

Interfering with the ball following a goal.

This is a warning. There are no added complications. It's not the defenses fault an official took too long to blow the whistle.

If it's the second warning in the game - T.