The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Tossed my first coach today

I gave both T's and booted him. He claimed to be a certified ref. For what he said I told him "he should have known better then".

At first I felt nervous if I made the correct actions. Then my partner 100% supported me and the league assignor supported me. Felt good to do my job correctly and not be questioned because I was new. I've received a ton of positive feed back from coaches, partners, and assignors all around. My partner said "that coach knew you where new and tried to intimidate you or get tossed. You obliged him on part of that".
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

1. Coaches who have reffed for a bit can be difficult to handle. I've found several to be some of the worst towards newer or inexperienced officials. You would think that they would be more understanding. Sad.

2. What specifically happened? Why didn't your partner get the second technical foul, if he was "supporting you?"
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

In the situation I can understand why I ended up having to call both. My partner had to warn the scorers table of possible ejection if she kept up her complaining as well.

After hearing out the coach for a moment of angrily complain about everything for the first 9 minutes of the game I gave him the stop sign and said "enough coach, we are done here". He snapped back with "NO we are not done here" In an intimidating fashion that really caught me off guard I banged him 1 T. My partner had to explain to him he had to sit down for the remainder of the game. He argued that fact, saying he was an official etc.

About 4 or 5 plays later I called a blocking foul in favor of his team which was resulting in a 1-1 only because the play happened on the floor/before the shot. A shot wasn't even attempted. I approached the scorers table to report and he starts in on me asking for "continuation" and yelling to get his sub in the game. I said "coach I will report the foul and then beckon the sub in when appropriate". He started barking toward me about how he was certified he knows this stuff. I beckon the subs and turn to jog to my position and coach says "ya I saw the last game, pfff, you guys are horrible". I turned and banged him the 2nd one.

My partner came right up and asked "what did he just say"? I told him and he agreed. Saying "that coach was trying to get tossed... you obliged him".

Lobby for calls all day I couldn't care. Make it personal and try to get "tough guy" on me and I'll bang a T real quick. Funny part was it was my first & second T's of my whole season. I didn't even have to ponder the idea until this game.

Last edited by BrentD2222; Mon Jan 04, 2016 at 02:25am.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD2222 View Post
In the situation I can understand why I ended up having to call both. My partner had to warn the scorers table of possible ejection if she kept up her complaining as well.

After hearing out the coach for a moment of angrily complain about everything for the first 9 minutes of the game I gave him the stop sign and said "enough coach, we are done here". He snapped back with "NO we are not done here" In an intimidating fashion that really caught me off guard I banged him 1 T. My partner had to explain to him he had to sit down for the remainder of the game. He argued that fact, saying he was an official etc.

About 4 or 5 plays later I called a blocking foul in favor of his team which was resulting in a 1-1 only because the play happened on the floor/before the shot. A shot wasn't even attempted. I approached the scorers table to report and he starts in on me asking for "continuation" and yelling to get his sub in the game. I said "coach I will report the foul and then beckon the sub in when appropriate". He started barking toward me about how he was certified he knows this stuff. I beckon the subs and turn to jog to my position and coach says "ya I saw the last game, pfff, you guys are horrible". I turned and banged him the 2nd one.

My partner came right up and asked "what did he just say"? I told him and he agreed. Saying "that coach was trying to get tossed... you obliged him".

Lobby for calls all day I couldn't care. Make it personal and try to get "tough guy" on me and I'll bang a T real quick. Funny part was it was my first & second T's of my whole season. I didn't even have to ponder the idea until this game.
The guy was a jerk and needed to leave. Don't worry about anything that you did. Keep officiating with poise and confidence.

In the future, try to use fewer words when speaking to a coach. For example, "That's enough" will do. Don't bother adding the rest.

Why would your partner ask what the coach said during the game? That's absurd. What would have happened if he didn't agree with you? Would he try to cancel the T? Hopefully, your partner was not very experienced either.

I never ask a partner what someone said or did when my partner issues a technical foul until halftime or after the contest. I really don't care. My partner assessed a technical foul and that's all that matters to me. My job is to help enforce the penalty and get on with the contest.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Why would your partner ask what the coach said during the game? That's absurd. What would have happened if he didn't agree with you? Would he try to cancel the T? Hopefully, your partner was not very experienced either.

I never ask a partner what someone said or did when my partner issues a technical foul until halftime or after the contest. I really don't care. My partner assessed a technical foul and that's all that matters to me. My job is to help enforce the penalty and get on with the contest.
I don't see that as a problem. Maybe he just wanted to know.

It is not uncommon to let your partners know what happened to earn a T as part of the typical discussion about what is going to happen next.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The guy was a jerk and needed to leave. Don't worry about anything that you did. Keep officiating with poise and confidence.

In the future, try to use fewer words when speaking to a coach. For example, "That's enough" will do. Don't bother adding the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't see that as a problem. Maybe he just wanted to know.

It is not uncommon to let your partners know what happened to earn a T as part of the typical discussion about what is going to happen next.
It was in a manner of support... it was more like WTF that ******* just say?
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

both T's warranted. I failed to give a T in my last game before the holidays to a coach and it's been bugging me this whole time.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Brent, you did real good. Sad that coaches think this is how to operate to win, all they are doing is teaching their kids that this is appropriate behavior.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:30am
NFHS Official

I had to give one to a coach over the holidays. I made a call against his team. He asked me what I had, I told him. He then asked me 2 more times and I had the same answer. He then said in a hateful, condescending way, "You need to open your eyes". Bang. The way he said it bothered me more than what he said.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 11:09am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Next time, be sure you have this in your bag.

Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

the last technical i handed out was in the playoffs last season to a coach who used to be an official. his girls team had limped into the playoffs and was getting spanked by a much better team and he thought he saw a travel from 75 feet away, while i was about 10 feet away and he yelled and screamed and told me that "he had been an official for 27 years and yes it was a travel!" Ha! Bang! take a seat.

listen, i don't care if you're Joey Effing Crawford...unless you are wearing stripes and have a whistle and are part of my crew on that game, you are a coach that night and the same rules apply to you as any other coach.

sounds like you handled the situation pretty well Brent. well done sir.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I do kind of find it funny that after you whacked him and your partner informed him of the seatbelt that he protested that fact. Kind of calls into question how 'experienced' of a ref he actually was if he doesn't even know that rule....

In the past on a few occasions of doing rec ball when I've been in this type of situation I'll usually ask the former 'ref', after they yell for over the back/reach in, what the signal for that is. Usually they give me the 'cobra hood' or whatever and then I know full well they haven't been a ref.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post

In the past on a few occasions of doing rec ball when I've been in this type of situation I'll usually ask the former 'ref', after they yell for over the back/reach in, what the signal for that is. Usually they give me the 'cobra hood' or whatever and then I know full well they haven't been a ref.
I've seen many refs use that signal . . .
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I've seen many refs use that signal . . .
Sadly so have I.../facepalm

But if a coach/former ref is howling that much and doesn't understand the seatbelt rule likely they have used the infamous 'over the back' with cobra hood as well...

Of course this former 'ref' probably considers his ref experience to be calling his lil kid weekend games back when they were 1st or 2nd grade...
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone ever notice the shocking number of former officials that now coach? Seriously, it's incredible.

Listen, if you need to advertise to me that you're a former official, it tells me that you're trying to be someone you're not. Especially when you use words like "certified." As a coach, the quickest way for me to dismiss you is for you to present your officiating résumé to me.

I knew a coach/AD once who only revealed to me that he was a former D1 official when I was about to move. I believed him. Not because he told me, but because his professionalism, knowledge and demeanor those two years gave me no reason to doubt him.

He didn't need to advertise it. I respected that a lot.