View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD2222 View Post
In the situation I can understand why I ended up having to call both. My partner had to warn the scorers table of possible ejection if she kept up her complaining as well.

After hearing out the coach for a moment of angrily complain about everything for the first 9 minutes of the game I gave him the stop sign and said "enough coach, we are done here". He snapped back with "NO we are not done here" In an intimidating fashion that really caught me off guard I banged him 1 T. My partner had to explain to him he had to sit down for the remainder of the game. He argued that fact, saying he was an official etc.

About 4 or 5 plays later I called a blocking foul in favor of his team which was resulting in a 1-1 only because the play happened on the floor/before the shot. A shot wasn't even attempted. I approached the scorers table to report and he starts in on me asking for "continuation" and yelling to get his sub in the game. I said "coach I will report the foul and then beckon the sub in when appropriate". He started barking toward me about how he was certified he knows this stuff. I beckon the subs and turn to jog to my position and coach says "ya I saw the last game, pfff, you guys are horrible". I turned and banged him the 2nd one.

My partner came right up and asked "what did he just say"? I told him and he agreed. Saying "that coach was trying to get tossed... you obliged him".

Lobby for calls all day I couldn't care. Make it personal and try to get "tough guy" on me and I'll bang a T real quick. Funny part was it was my first & second T's of my whole season. I didn't even have to ponder the idea until this game.
The guy was a jerk and needed to leave. Don't worry about anything that you did. Keep officiating with poise and confidence.

In the future, try to use fewer words when speaking to a coach. For example, "That's enough" will do. Don't bother adding the rest.

Why would your partner ask what the coach said during the game? That's absurd. What would have happened if he didn't agree with you? Would he try to cancel the T? Hopefully, your partner was not very experienced either.

I never ask a partner what someone said or did when my partner issues a technical foul until halftime or after the contest. I really don't care. My partner assessed a technical foul and that's all that matters to me. My job is to help enforce the penalty and get on with the contest.