The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No one intentionally moves the "nether regions" to get hit.

The rule used to be "knee down" -- it's been any part of the leg for more than just a few years now.
i thought this was the case

Quote:
You intentionally moved your feet to "play defense on the ball" -- that's a violation.
again, had the ball in the been in the air when i did this i would agree. but changing your stance and having a player throw the ball off your legs doesnt sound like a kick to me.

in a similar situation....if a offensive player goes to save the ball out of bounds and throws it off a defenders leg and it goes out of bounds. is that a kicked ball or is it out of bounds offenses ball?

Quote:
And, while there is some room for interpretation on this, no one here was there to see it. And, if you have no refs, you're going to get a "discussion" during the game.
believe me, i have thought about paying a ref $20 for a nights work to alleviate all the headaches we go through
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeps View Post
believe me, i have thought about paying a ref $20 for a nights work to alleviate all the headaches we go through
For a Men's league? Good luck with that!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
.....if i had moved my knees together while the pass was in the air.

however i closed my legs before the ball left his hand
we know what you did, and when.

It likely doesn't matter.

Play: Ball rolls away from players. A1 sees he ball coming toward him and doesn't move his leg. The ball rolls and hits A1 in the leg and A1 reaches down and picks up the ball. Ruling: Kicking violation.

Play: A1 and B1 are on the floor fighting for a "loose ball." The ball rolls into A1's legs and A1 clamps the ball so B1 cant' pull it away. Ruling" Kicking violation.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
What should matter to you is what the rule says. If the defender does not intentionally strike the ball, it cannot be a kick.

I don't know what you mean by "attempting to defend using their legs." Do you mean by actively moving their legs? Or is it a certain leg position?

We have a specific definition for kicking. Let's use that.
I think I was pretty clear in how I interpret the rule, and it appears others do as well. We will have to agree to disagree.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 09:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

It wouldn't help, players would argue about kicked ball violations.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
we know what you did, and when.

It likely doesn't matter.

Play: Ball rolls away from players. A1 sees he ball coming toward him and doesn't move his leg. The ball rolls and hits A1 in the leg and A1 reaches down and picks up the ball. Ruling: Kicking violation.

Play: A1 and B1 are on the floor fighting for a "loose ball." The ball rolls into A1's legs and A1 clamps the ball so B1 cant' pull it away. Ruling" Kicking violation.
Bob, I never feel good about disagreeing with you. However, you're wrong on the first play. You cannot have a kicking violation from inaction.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Bob, I never feel good about disagreeing with you. However, you're wrong on the first play. You cannot have a kicking violation from inaction.
Eastshire I agree with you. This isnt a violation. It is like we are deeming any time a ball hits the leg its a violation because you cant use your leg to defend a pass. What I mean is this. If a leg isnt moving it is not kicking. Even if I think he might pass I can move my legs into a defensive position. If I intend to move my leg to stop the ball its a kick. He wasnt moving his leg. If I think his feet were still moving into that position when the ball tries to go between his leg of course it is a kick. You would be calling intentional kicking on non-moving legs all the time because the kid put his leg in the passing lane and it was there before the pass hit it therefore he intentional kicked the ball. I would love to have more chime in here that if I put my leg down in the passing lane and it isnt moving that I kicked the ball intentionally without my foot moving because I knew it was going to have a ball hit it.

Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot.

How is a stationary leg striking the ball if it isnt moving....the ball hit it... the leg didnt move and hit the ball.

Interesting discussion.

Last edited by BigT; Wed Jan 06, 2016 at 09:53am.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Eastshire I agree with you. This isnt a violation. It is like we are deeming any time a ball hits the leg its a violation because you cant use your leg to defend a pass. What I mean is this. If a leg isnt moving it is not kicking. Even if I think he might pass I can move my legs into a defensive position. If I intend to move my leg to stop the ball its a kick. He wasnt moving his leg. If I think his feet were still moving into that position when the ball tries to go between his leg of course it is a kick. You would be calling intentional kicking on non-moving legs all the time because the kid put his leg in the passing lane and it was there before the pass hit it therefore he intentional kicked the ball. I would love to have more chime in here that if I put my leg down in the passing lane and it isnt moving that I kicked the ball intentionally without my foot moving because I knew it was going to have a ball hit it.

Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot.

How is a stationary leg striking the ball if it isnt moving....the ball hit it... the leg didnt move and hit the ball.

Interesting discussion.
the bolded there was my stance on it. i didnt jump in the way of the pass nor did i extend any part of my leg to deflect the pass. i stodd there and closed my legs before the ball ever left his hand. in my mind, thats not a kicking motion even though technically it hit my leg
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
the bolded there was my stance on it. i didnt jump in the way of the pass nor did i extend any part of my leg to deflect the pass. i stodd there and closed my legs before the ball ever left his hand. in my mind, thats not a kicking motion even though technically it hit my leg
It's what the official called it. End of story.

I'll leave the thread open, but the OP would be wise to stop repeating the same thing over and over and over again.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 10:40am
AremRed

Quote:
what exactly constitutes the leg, is it shin down. or from the waist down? (honest question)
Well my friend let me tell you about something called the "Iron Triangle".
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's what the official called it.
The "official" in a pick-up game? Usually that's the guy that makes the first call or guy that yells loudest or maybe the guy with keys to gym or only decent ball
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
The "official" in a pick-up game? Usually that's the guy that makes the first call or guy that yells loudest or maybe the guy with keys to gym or only decent ball
im always 2 of the 3 and if i am really mad i can be the trifecta
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Rules, what rules?

In pick up ball, a lot of rules as we know them are out the window. Most guys know this...ever tried calling a player control foul in a pick up game? You'd prob get laughed off the court.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
In pick up ball, a lot of rules as we know them are out the window. Most guys know this...ever tried calling a player control foul in a pick up game? You'd prob get laughed off the court.
ugh, dont get me started. we have at times counted out loud a guy who is in the lane for 17 seconds (we are old guys so chances for offensive rebounds are aplenty) he feels as long as he puts part of a foot out of the lane that negates it
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ugh, dont get me started. we have at times counted out loud a guy who is in the lane for 17 seconds (we are old guys so chances for offensive rebounds are aplenty) he feels as long as he puts part of a foot out of the lane that negates it
Lane violations in pick up ball? What are you, a bunch of old lawyers and judges?