The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:42pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
I agree with this (obviously), but I watched this game and kept rewinding the play and there was no where for the official to go. I think he started a little to high on the play, but that is one where you just don't get a good look. To truly get a good look he would have had to be very low near the endline (and there wasn't time for that) or high side and out onto the floor 8 feet. There were players on his high side so he would have been directly in the way had the OU guard passed the ball.
Agree, there was no good position for Slot in the amount of time he had to adjust.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:55pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
"Cringeworthy" was Hield's missed FT to, for all intents and purposes, win the game for OU in regulation. More cringeworthy action were Ellis' multiple air balls from 15 ft and in during the 2nd half.
Wasn't that Lattin that missed the front end of the 1-1. Ellis wasn't cringeworthy when they went to him in the post 2 straight times and he scores. I didn't have a dog in this fight but it was a great game.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
"Cringeworthy" was Hield's missed FT to, for all intents and purposes, win the game for OU in regulation. More cringeworthy action were Ellis' multiple air balls from 15 ft and in during the 2nd half.
Hield didn't miss any free throws late, he was the one who scored 46 points. Lattin, #12, missed that free throw at the end of regulation.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Please go watch the play again and tell me where Slot needs to be in order to see that play.
Considering the clock is running down, and one of the best shooters in the nation has the ball, and where that official is standing, he should have stepped out on to the court so he could get a clear view of the shooting hand.

If he had started at home base, FTLE, he could have had an opportunity to step down to the sideline and look back through the play.

Either one would have taken some nimble movement and he may still have got the play wrong, but either is preferable to just standing there, allowing the stack to happen, then blowing your whistle on a foul that wasn't there. By staying stationary he has no credibility on this call b/c everyone knows he couldn't see it from where he was standing.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Do we have a link to more camera angles of this play or is the one link all we have?
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Wasn't that Lattin that missed the front end of the 1-1. Ellis wasn't cringeworthy when they went to him in the post 2 straight times and he scores. I didn't have a dog in this fight but it was a great game.
Really? Someone who's handle starts with OK for OKLAHOMA, and you say this?
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Do we have a link to more camera angles of this play or is the one link all we have?
I haven't looked at the link, but I presume it shows the backside view. There was a replay during the game that clearly showed it from the other side and the defender blocked it clean as the shooter was gathering the ball and bringing it up.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
The official missed the play due to positioning, not anticipation IMO. He was stacked on the play and had to guess. I've seen the play a dozen times now and have no idea how to position yourself that fast to see between the players. This is a play that any ref could miss, depending on how lucky they were.
Why did he "have to guess?" Call what you see. If he didnt see it then there was no reason to guess and completely miss the play.

It was not an easy play to get in position to see but luck had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Considering the clock is running down, and one of the best shooters in the nation has the ball, and where that official is standing, he should have stepped out on to the court so he could get a clear view of the shooting hand.

If he had started at home base, FTLE, he could have had an opportunity to step down to the sideline and look back through the play.

Either one would have taken some nimble movement and he may still have got the play wrong, but either is preferable to just standing there, allowing the stack to happen, then blowing your whistle on a foul that wasn't there. By staying stationary he has no credibility on this call b/c everyone knows he couldn't see it from where he was standing.
Exactly. Again, not an easy play to get in position on but we are suppose to anticipate plays not calls. In this situation he has to anticipate that a shot is going up and do what he has to do to get a better angle.

And if he couldn't see it then he should have just passed on it. This is not to slam this official but this play is an egregious example of a bad call. It happens to all of us but when the game is on national TV and involves the top 2 ranked teams in the country there is going to be an extra level of scrutiny that comes with the territory.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:38pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Yes really. I live here, but I'm not an OU fan at all.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Hield didn't miss any free throws late, he was the one who scored 46 points. Lattin, #12, missed that free throw at the end of regulation.
I stand corrected.

What was cringeworthy was Lattin missing a FT to basically win the game for OU.

My point is, this - It's annoying when people imply or outright blame official(s) for teams winning or losing when 99.9999% of the time it's the coaches and players that control their destiny.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

How would you all describe the demeanor or motivation of the official during th moments when he T'd up Self?

Calm?

Vindictive?

Other?

Personally, I think he was nothing but the consummate professional in that situation - giving Self exactly what was earned. He showed no emotion as he walked to the table to report while Self threw a tantrum directly at him from mere inches away like someone just spit on his Prairie Village burrito.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
It's pretty easy to not root for either team while living in this state, to be honest.