LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Tights vs. Compression shorts

I am not sure what the difference is.
I thought they were the same.
How can you tell?

ART. 3 . . .
“b. The sleeves/tights shall be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey and the same color sleeves/tights shall be worn by teammates.

“ART. 7 . . . Compression shorts shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the uniform; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt. See 3-6 for logo requirements.”
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 04:38pm
Stubborn Member

Does it go below the knee?

No... Compression shorts.

Yes... Tights.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 04:42pm
TODO: creative title here

Tights start at the waist and extend below the knee (usually all the way to the ankle).
Compression shorts start at the waist and do not extend below the knee.
And, FWIW, Leg sleeves start below the waist and end below the knee (usually ending before the ankle).

At least, that's how I've always understood it.

And no, I'm not asking anyone to show me anything under the shorts to verify.

If only some day the NFHS would simplify the fashion police rules... wouldn't this be wonderful:

Anything that's not jersey or shorts (already addressed by rule) or socks/shoes (not covered by rule) must all be:
a) Black, White, Jersey-Colored
and
b) the same for all players on the team

And you could talk me out of adding "Beige" to A and removing B altogether.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Tights start at the waist and extend below the knee (usually all the way to the ankle).
Compression shorts start at the waist and do not extend below the knee.
And, FWIW, Leg sleeves start below the waist and end below the knee (usually ending before the ankle).

At least, that's how I've always understood it.

And no, I'm not asking anyone to show me anything under the shorts to verify.

If only some day the NFHS would simplify the fashion police rules... wouldn't this be wonderful:

Anything that's not jersey or shorts (already addressed by rule) or socks/shoes (not covered by rule) must all be:
a) Black, White, Jersey-Colored
and
b) the same for all players on the team

And you could talk me out of adding "Beige" to A and removing B altogether.
Heck, just narrow it to b and be done with it . . .
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 05:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Compression Shorts ...

What's the difference between compression shorts that go from the waist to above the knee, tights that go from the waist to below the knee, or a leg sleeve that goes from below the waist to above the knee?

And if one is able to correctly identify an equipment item as compression shorts, how does the NFHS define uniform color? The same color as the jersey (like an undershirt), or the same color as the shorts (like the old compression shorts rule)?

Silly NFHS monkeys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm a player with Under Armour that stops above the knee but below the pants then I just claim they are tights since tights have no length requirement, right? What was NFHS thinking?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but here's a fun one from our state Girls' association:

NFHS Basketball Rule 3-5 Team Member’s Equipment, Apparel
Modify Rule 3-5-3c to the following:
All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color.
Modify Rule 3-5-4 to the following:
a. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands as shown in Figure “C” below) must be soft and
unadorned but may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. The 2-inch
maximum width provision for headbands will be waived, and headbands with extensions as shown in
Figure “A” below will be permitted.
b. Protective soft headgear as shown in Figure “B” below will be permitted provided the headgear is not
abrasive, hard, or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely it
will come off during play.
c. Bobby pins 2” or less will be allowed.
d. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be
made of moisture-absorbing material.
e. Silicone and rubber bracelets, rubber bands, bandanas, etc., are illegal as they are not moisture-absorbing
or appropriate for the game of basketball.
NFHS Basketball Rule 3-6 Logo/Trademark/Reference
Modify Rule 3-6-1 to the following:
One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school logo/mascot is permitted on the compression shorts,
arm and leg compression sleeves, and wristbands. Multiple manufacturer’s logos/trademarks/references and/or
school logos/mascots are permitted on the headbands as shown in Figures “D” and “E” below.

BUT this appeared to be different than the boys' union ruling. So I had the following interesting conversation with our "administrator of basketball."

ME:
Question on the headband rule:

The rule change only applies to girls?

Also, wrist bands can be different colors but sleeves all must be the same color? So they can have black sleeves and yellow wrist bands and green head bands? That seems much more confusing than the NFHS "Everything the same for everybody."

HIM:
Boys go by what is in the NFHS Rule book page 26.

Very helpful. And obviously very attentive to our questions and concerns.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
If I'm a player with Under Armour that stops above the knee but below the pants then I just claim they are tights since tights have no length requirement, right? What was NFHS thinking?
Are you sure they were?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 01:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What's the difference between compression shorts that go from the waist to above the knee, tights that go from the waist to below the knee, or a leg sleeve that goes from below the waist to above the knee?

And if one is able to correctly identify an equipment item as compression shorts, how does the NFHS define uniform color? The same color as the jersey (like an undershirt), or the same color as the shorts (like the old compression shorts rule)?

Silly NFHS monkeys.
Please let it go. Just do what your esteemed leadership directs you to do.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 06:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When I'm The Grand Poobah Of NFHS Basketball Rules, Bye Bye Compression Shorts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Please let it go. Just do what your esteemed leadership directs you to do.
No direction locally on compression shorts. On my own, if it allows the kid to play, he's playing, whether it involves me calling them tights/sleeves (black, white, beige, jersey color, all the same, for all players), or if it involves me calling them compression shorts and going with either the jersey color, or the shorts color. I'm pretty strict about fashion issues but without further clarification from the NFHS (what's uniform color, what's the difference between leg sleeves, tights, or compression shorts) I'm on the side of the fence that let's the kid play with anything that can be liberally interpreted as NFHS legal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

We were told to consider everything except for braces as tights.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No direction locally on compression shorts. On my own, if it allows the kid to play, he's playing, whether it involves me calling them tights/sleeves (black, white, beige, jersey color, all the same, for all players), or if it involves me calling them compression shorts and going with either the jersey color, or the shorts color. I'm pretty strict about fashion issues but without further clarification from the NFHS (what's uniform color, what's the difference between leg sleeves, tights, or compression shorts) I'm on the side of the fence that let's the kid play with anything that can be liberally interpreted as NFHS legal.
This should make you happy. 3-5-7, compression short section should be removed. It hasn't been modified since they made the color rules and allowed tights. It still says undergarments can't extend below the pants...except now we have tights...that go to ankles. Compression shorts, as noted, not supposed to extend below pants. Those are barely visible but rule says they have to match color of pants. While the tights can be black, white beige or predom color...and go down to ankles.
I ignore this section. It can't apply anymore.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 07:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Definition Please ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Compression shorts ... rule says they have to match color of pants.
Check again. That's the old rule, change was made last year to "uniform color", whatever the heck uniform color is? Shorts? Jersey?

Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 07:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unilaterally ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
3-5-7, compression short section should be removed.
Do it. No one will complain. I doubt that the NFHS would even notice. And, if they do, I've got your back.

Silly NFHS monkeys.

Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Check again. That's the old rule, change was made last year to "uniform color", whatever the heck uniform color is? Shorts? Jersey?
My version says compression shorts "predominant color." I checked again...and again. I've proven over the years I don't see so well. However, I'm a really good reader.