The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:18pm
Huck Finn

Kansas/Oklahoma - announcers are stupid

After the Oklahoma coach got a T, the announcers are saying they shouldn't penalize a coach (with a technical) for a official's mistake.

Did Tom O'Neil miss a Kansas player pushing off? Certainly. Was it a "mistake?" I can't tell and neither can the announcers. There is a good chance that the official didn't see it. Maybe he did see it and didn't call it because he might have felt the Oklahoma player was holding first. I can't tell and neither can the announcers. But, guess what everyone watching the game thinks now?
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

They have never put on strips in their lives. I'll bet if I was coaching a game they were reffing, I could make them compound a bad or missed call with a technical.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:37pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shave-tail
They have never put on strips in their lives. I'll bet if I was coaching a game they were reffing, I could make them compound a bad or missed call with a technical.
That was one of my specialties as a player. And that is why I don't play anymore (rec)!
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

We know that announcers are mostly idiots.

In the G'town/Syracuse game, there was a double T for smack talk following a stoppage for a Syracuse player getting injured. When the game resumed the announcers stated that a double technical had been called and then Raftery chimed in with "and the possession arrow favors the 'cuse."

Syracuse got the ball because they had it when the game was stopped for the injury.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Well... Fran just said that the the T was a "good technical" unintentionally, so it probably worked out all best.

Now that I think about it, the ref shouldn't have called a T, because it gave OU an unfair advantage.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 01:33am
M.A.S.H.

We all know better than to think the announcers know the rules. They just say what they "think" they know, which is nothing!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Here's a question for all:

If you know for a fact that you missed/blew a call, would you give the coach any more leeway in discussing it with you?

(Note I said discussing; obviously arguing, yelling, profanity, and other unsporting conduct don't get leeway.)

I guess what I mean is, would you let a coach have a longer 'say' in that situation, provided he was reasonable enough about it?

This may be a dumb question in some jurisdictions, but in mine our administration of the game is a little more liberal. I'm curious as to what some more experienced officials think.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck

If you know for a fact that you missed/blew a call, would you give the coach any more leeway in discussing it with you?

(Note I said discussing; obviously arguing, yelling, profanity, and other unsporting conduct don't get leeway.)
I would understand them complaining, but they are not going to be disrespectful.

Quote:
I guess what I mean is, would you let a coach have a longer 'say' in that situation, provided he was reasonable enough about it?

This may be a dumb question in some jurisdictions, but in mine our administration of the game is a little more liberal. I'm curious as to what some more experienced officials think.
I will always lend an ear to a coach about any call as long as they are respectful. Even if the call is good or bad they need to still be professional and show respect.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Everybody thinks we have to be perfect out there! I wish I had X-Ray Vision!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

They still have to be respectful, and once I've let em know I jacked something up or whatever, there's still gonna be a limit to the time of the discussion. If it happened in the first quarter and we discuss it there a little bit, that's gonna be the end of it. If he tries to bring that same call up again in some 3rd quarter discussion, we're probably gonna have a little problem to deal with.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 08:45am
Courageous When Prudent

I didn't see the play nor the Tech nor any of the 2nd half, but I know in the first half Capel was testing the waters pretty deep. It doesn't surprise me that he received a T at some point in the game.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 10:30am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
A little bit, yes. But as others (and yourself) have said, they still can't yell profanity at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef
I wish I had X-Ray Vision!
You're supposed to be watching the game, TRef, not the cheerleaders!
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Is this a rhetorical question?
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
... I wish I had X-Ray Vision!
I had something rude to say but.....nevermind.