The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 08:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
The official missed the play due to positioning, not anticipation IMO. He was stacked on the play and had to guess. I've seen the play a dozen times now and have no idea how to position yourself that fast to see between the players. This is a play that any ref could miss, depending on how lucky they were.
Get where you need to be to referee that play, that's what one of my supervisor's preaches.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 08:46am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Foul call was bad, but Self's reaction was ridiculous and deserved a T. I think he did it on purpose to divert attention away from the player who could have earned a T with his reaction.
I think so to. Self was on him about a call just before that, I think it was a block/charge play. When he blew his whistle Self just lost it.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This is a play that any ref could miss, depending on how lucky they were.

True, but if you miss it (i.e. you're not sure), you don't put air in the whistle. That's what tells me that he either anticipated or guessed.

Still a great official. Just a regrettable moment. It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Video: Bill Self Lost His Mind, Picked Up A Technical Foul | College Spun

Looks like a really bad guess.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I'm normally the last guy in the room to complain about officiating... but there were a ton of cringe-worthy calls (both ways) in this game. I know these guys are the top of the pile, ref-wise... but it felt like they were overmatched in this one, and it got worse as they got tired.

I don't know that they cost either team the game, per se, but I don't feel like we got to see who would have really won. I feel like we, the fans, got short-changed.

The non-call on the steal at the end was nearly unforgivable, though - the defender contacted the inbounder twice, hard - no call on either.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Get where you need to be to referee that play, that's what one of my supervisor's preaches.
I agree with this (obviously), but I watched this game and kept rewinding the play and there was no where for the official to go. I think he started a little to high on the play, but that is one where you just don't get a good look. To truly get a good look he would have had to be very low near the endline (and there wasn't time for that) or high side and out onto the floor 8 feet. There were players on his high side so he would have been directly in the way had the OU guard passed the ball.

I like discussions like these as long as we don't rip this very talented official (which we aren't). It was a play he just shouldn't have put air in his whistle because he couldn't see it. It's no different than when a player is going away from you and he/she may travel but you can't see whether the ball is held or not. I made a similar call like this last weekend. Mine was correct (from video) but I couldn't see it. The coach jumped me a bit on it and said how can you call that you were completely straight lined. It didn't warrant a T but I quickly said "we can talk about it next time I'm by you." It was a collegiate men's game so I went away from the table after reporting. I got near the coach about 2 transitions later and told him he was correct, I didn't have a good enough look at it and it wouldn't happen again tonight. He said, "well, the video board showed you were right but I appreciate you admitting you were straight lined. I just wish more refs would be honest with us."

I got very lucky and the minute I hit the whistle I knew I was guessing. I'm actually quite good at holding the whistle in that but I just made an error. I wonder what the coach would have said if the video board showed I completely kicked the call. I would have had the same response, but I don't think he would have been so polite with our follow up conversation........
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Tried to edit thread title to indicate video request.

Would greatly appreciate one of our esteemed embedders work here. Thanks!
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm normally the last guy in the room to complain about officiating... but there were a ton of cringe-worthy calls (both ways) in this game. I know these guys are the top of the pile, ref-wise... but it felt like they were overmatched in this one, and it got worse as they got tired.

I don't know that they cost either team the game, per se, but I don't feel like we got to see who would have really won. I feel like we, the fans, got short-changed.

The non-call on the steal at the end was nearly unforgivable, though - the defender contacted the inbounder twice, hard - no call on either.

It seems like a game of this magnitude can make even the most seasoned crew tend to over-officiate. Subconscious stuff. Nice to know the next time you kick a call that D1 officials are also human just like you.

Tough one on that last throw-in. Seriously, how many of us would have the guts to make a call in that situation?

Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It seems like a game of this magnitude can make even the most seasoned crew tend to over-officiate. Subconscious stuff. Nice to know the next time you kick a call that D1 officials are also human just like you.

Tough one on that last throw-in. Seriously, how many of us would have the guts to make a call in that situation?

Actually ... "that call" would have been easy to make, as the first call is simply a warning.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:33am
beware big brother

Quote:
Actually ... "that call" would have been easy to make, as the first call is simply a warning.
I haven't seen the play, but are you sure about that? One of the other posters claims the inbounder was hit twice. There is no warning for that, it goes directly to FF1 on the first hit.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I haven't seen the play, but are you sure about that? One of the other posters claims the inbounder was hit twice. There is no warning for that, it goes directly to FF1 on the first hit.
One of the posters was me.

Looking at the replay, it appears the contact was less egregious than I thought, and may have been over the court, if that matters. He definitely hits his arm though.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of the posters was me.

Looking at the replay, it appears the contact was less egregious than I thought, and may have been over the court, if that matters. He definitely hits his arm though.
Any contact with the thrower in is an IF.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Bill surely knows how to work the refs. I rem'ber speaking with a colleague ref of mine who attended the "Bill Self Summer Camp" and worked as a volunteer ref for the scrimmages. He told me that coach Self said to his players: "if you ever disagree with a call--and you will, then it will all work out in the end, the refs tend to balance the calls, so it all works out in the end, just keep playing hard."
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"Cringeworthy" was Hield's missed FT to, for all intents and purposes, win the game for OU in regulation. More cringeworthy action were Ellis' multiple air balls from 15 ft and in during the 2nd half.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:39pm
AremRed

Quote:
Please go watch the play again and tell me where Slot needs to be in order to see that play.