The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thirty Second Timeout ...

Is it true that only five players may stand during a thirty second timeout, and that substitutes must remain on the bench?

5-11-3: A single 30-second charged time-out shall not exceed 30 seconds
and players shall remain standing within the time-out area. A warning signal for
teams to prepare to resume play is sounded with 15 seconds remaining. No oncourt
entertainment should occur during this time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Not at all. The only requirement is that the five players remain standing. Everyone else may stand if they wish or may remain sitting if they wish.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 02:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sunday Morning (Earth, Wind & Fire, 1993) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not at all. The only requirement is that the five players remain standing. Everyone else may stand if they wish or may remain sitting if they wish.
Thanks Nevadaref. I thought so. It was interpreted a different way at our local monthly meeting this morning (I know, Sunday morning, not cool). I will get it straightened out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Help ...

I am having a tough time convincing the local powers that be that substitutes, and coaches, are allowed to stand during a thirty second timeout. Dissecting the language of the 5-11-3 won't convince them. I no longer have my written notes from the 1997-98 season (I ran out of room in my notebook, bought a new notebook, never thought that I would need the old notes).

Anybody have a caseplay, or an interpretation, that could help me plead my case? Help. I'm as desperate as those Desperate Housewives.

Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Take a look at 10-4-4: Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: . . . Stand at the team bench while the clock is running or is stopped, and must remain seated, except:
c. During a charged time-out, as in 5-11, (which defines time-outs), or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Take a look at 10-4-4: Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: . . . Stand at the team bench while the clock is running or is stopped, and must remain seated, except:
c. During a charged time-out, as in 5-11, (which defines time-outs), or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
Thanks, but I was hoping for something with more pizazz.

Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Billy, if it ain't illegal, it must be legal . . .
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

The intent of the rule is to point out that during a 30 sec T.O., the players who were on the court are not allowed to be seated. It does not mean that bench personnel are not allowed to stand during a charged timeout

See rule 10-4-4

ART. 4

The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not:

Stand at the team bench while the clock is running or is stopped, and must remain seated, except:

a. The head coach as in 10-5-1.

b. When a team member is reporting to the scorer's table.

c. During a charged time-out, as in 5-11, or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.

d. To spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player(s), but must immediately return to his/her seat.

PENALTY: (Arts. 1, 2, 3, 4) Two free throws plus the ball for a division-line throw-in. If the head coach is the offender, the foul is charged directly to him/her. The foul is charged to the offender (if not the head coach) and also charged indirectly to the head coach. (Art. 1g) Flagrant foul, the offender is disqualified. If the offender is bench personnel, each foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thanks, but I was hoping for something with more pizazz.
Billy,

It's unfortunate that people try to read things into the rule that aren't there.

As Rob stated, 10-4-4 states that bench personnel may stand during a charged time out. It does not differentiate between 30 sec. and 60 sec. time outs, so applies to both.

The provisions of 5-11-3 only apply to "players", saying they must remain standing during a 30 second time out - it has nothing to do with bench personnel, who are covered by 10-4-4. It also has no effect on 60 sec. tiimeouts - players may stand or sit as they choose.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Preaching To The Choir ...

Thanks guys, but, as I said, dissecting rule language won't help.

I really need a caseplay, interpretation, or a test question, to be convincing.

Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 07:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mistakes Happen ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
It's unfortunate that people try to read things into the rule that aren't there.
It's frustrating for me, a journeyman official who is pretty good (not great) at rules, and interpretations, to convince a top notch official who knows, by heart, 99.9% of the rules, and interruptions, that he is mistaken in this one case. If I push too hard, I'm liable to be labeled as a "rules guy" (good at rules, incapable of working real games).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 03, 2016 at 07:26pm.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 08:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

There is no case play to conjure up, you have been provided the rule that allows team members to stand because it's not prohibited.

You cannot expect everyone else to jump through hoops because you have hard headed associates.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

I recall an interpretation a few years ago on this topic. I'll see if I can locate it.
If my memory is correct, it stated that bench personnel were allowed to join the time-out huddle.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Billy,
Do you do this every few years just to mess with us?
Seriously, you started this other thread and answered it!

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...-time-out.html
See posts #29 through #31.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 10:50pm
Administrator

I know I am being a grumpy old geezer about this rule change almost 15 years ago. But, I never could understand the need for it.

When one thinks of all of the things we must do after we recognize a team's TO request and before we finally give the signal the Timer to start the timing the TO, a 30-second TO can be almost 60 seconds and a 60-second TO can be almost 90 seconds.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio