The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I missed it somewhere else in the thread. It seems mute going back in to record a T in this situation. If this guy’s behavior made any of you feel unsafe; I report this no matter what. Whether it’s through a local association, or reported via your states officials’ department website. I can't believe that this is tolerated at any level, and would be addressed by the powers that be (before leaving court or in a hallway). How they discipline such behavior is up to them regardless if you T him or not. I would assume any ejection has a reporting process. IMO If the individual in question is this much of an A-hole going back may only escalate the situation.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Had an association meeting tonight.
The overwhelming consensus was that getting my young partner to safety immediately... was the best course of action. Since the coaches' act began on the court and safety was the only reason I left, the group felt that going back, especially since I hadn't reach the dressing room, and whacking that _____ assistant coach was something they stand behind.
It's kind of unfortunate that NO ONE in your association knows the relevant rules here.

Consider a very slightly modified version ... say the asst's team won by one point. You decide to usher off your partner to safety, then go back. Teams are gone - and you issue your technical foul.

If it is legal for you to issue this technical foul... B GETS SHOTS, and could change the result of the game.

Your issuance of the T was improper... no matter how many uneducated officials you find to agree with you.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
It's kind of unfortunate that NO ONE in your association knows the relevant rules here.

Consider a very slightly modified version ... say the asst's team won by one point. You decide to usher off your partner to safety, then go back. Teams are gone - and you issue your technical foul.

If it is legal for you to issue this technical foul... B GETS SHOTS, and could change the result of the game.

Your issuance of the T was improper... no matter how many uneducated officials you find to agree with you.
I somewhat agree but I also don't. In the case where the officials feel threatened, suspend the game and let the authorities deal with what to do. Would I stay in a gym where I felt threatened? @#$@ NO.

I also would not have gone back in but just filed my report with my assignor, and anyone else that needs to be notified.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I somewhat agree but I also don't. In the case where the officials feel threatened, suspend the game and let the authorities deal with what to do. Would I stay in a gym where I felt threatened? @#$@ NO.

I also would not have gone back in but just filed my report with my assignor, and anyone else that needs to be notified.
Sounds like you completely agree. He shouldn't have gone back out there. it was improper and inappropriate (and possibly dangerous).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
Maybe I missed it somewhere else in the thread. It seems mute going back in to record a T in this situation. If this guy’s behavior made any of you feel unsafe; I report this no matter what. Whether it’s through a local association, or reported via your states officials’ department website. I can't believe that this is tolerated at any level, and would be addressed by the powers that be (before leaving court or in a hallway). How they discipline such behavior is up to them regardless if you T him or not. I would assume any ejection has a reporting process. IMO If the individual in question is this much of an A-hole going back may only escalate the situation.
Moot. It seems moot.

Sorry, one of my weird pet peeves.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Sounds like you completely agree. He shouldn't have gone back out there. it was improper and inappropriate (and possibly dangerous).
I disagree that the T was improper. We don't have to shoot the shots, the game is suspended and the folks that make the big bucks can determine what to do from there.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree that the T was improper. We don't have to shoot the shots, the game is suspended and the folks that make the big bucks can determine what to do from there.
The game was not suspended ... the game was over and the officials were headed to the locker room. Issuing a T after the officials have left the visual confines of the court is improper. By rule.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

The T was earned before they left. They left because they thought it was unsafe. One returned to mark the T in the book. That's the step I would have left out, and just considered it suspended.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Had an association meeting tonight.
The overwhelming consensus was that getting my young partner to safety immediately... was the best course of action. Since the coaches' act began on the court and safety was the only reason I left, the group felt that going back, especially since I hadn't reach the dressing room, and whacking that _____ assistant coach was something they stand behind.
Jurisdiction is fundamental. When you have it, you have the authority/power to act. When you dont have it, you have no authority/power to act. There's no middle ground. If your state follows the concept of jurisdiction they will say that attempting to eject him after you left the visual confines is invalid. Hopefully, and likely, he will be suspended anyway. It just wont be automatic for an ejection. If safety was a concern you did the right thing going off with your partner.

Put the safety reasons in your report.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 12:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The T was earned before they left. They left because they thought it was unsafe. One returned to mark the T in the book. That's the step I would have left out, and just considered it suspended.
Then the official should've issued it on the way off the floor.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Then the official should've issued it on the way off the floor.
What's the "I'm running off the floor because @#$@ is hitting the fan while issuing a T" mechanic/protocol?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You state does not have a procedure to report a coach for any unsportsmanlike conduct that takes place outside of the game? That is the case where I live, so if we had to write up a coach, the state can deal with the accordingly. But you cannot give a T after you have left the visual confines of the court. No rules support at all, but that is what others have said. But I would think you can report events that could happen for example in the parking lot if a coach confronted you, like what happened in my area about a week ago with a coach punching an official.

Peace
JRutledge what on earth happened?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Moot. It seems moot.

Sorry, one of my weird pet peeves.
HA!

Maybe I should have stayed mute. Sometimes working, answering the phone, and typing don't mix. Or maybe it's just moot..........

Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You state does not have a procedure to report a coach for any unsportsmanlike conduct that takes place outside of the game? That is the case where I live, so if we had to write up a coach, the state can deal with the accordingly. But you cannot give a T after you have left the visual confines of the court. No rules support at all, but that is what others have said. But I would think you can report events that could happen for example in the parking lot if a coach confronted you, like what happened in my area about a week ago with a coach punching an official.

Peace
+1

I believe JRUT and myself are both from IL. We have two reports on the IHSA website under the officials link we can file. The special report is a link you can file such a incident. The other is SAWA (sport a winning attitude) report. I am sure most states have something similar.

Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
JRutledge what on earth happened?
An official after a lower level game was confronted in the parking lot and punched. The coach was given a T during the game and claimed after he was arrested that the officials bumped him on the way out the school (after the game of course). Then the coach followed the individual and punched the official in the confrontation. The home school (not the school the coach belonged to) insisted that he file a police report.

The official also filed a "Special Report" and that is where some of the "coach's story" came from. And it appears not many saw it the way of the coach.

This is what I am talking about should have been dealt with in this situation if there is a formal process to get a report filed. I would hope that would be the case as our report is also a legal document of any incident that might involve a crime.

Peace