Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Lost my partner today

NFHS rules only.
It was brutally hot at my game today. After the sixth inning,
my partner was kneeling by the water cooler with two people surrounding him. I went over to him and he told me I would have to finish the game by myself. He had been PU so I went to my car to get my equipment and I returned just as the ambulance arrived. That was four hours ago and I haven't been able to get a report on his condition. Hopefully it was just the heat, but there are some other health issues that may be involved. The question I have surfaced as the ambulance drove away. One of the coaches (visitors team- undefeated) told me I would have to decide whether I wanted to umpire alone or have the home team provide a BU. I disagreed with him because it was a varsity game (one team in first place and the other a contender for the league crown) and I wanted help making crucial decisions. The visitors coach said it was my decision and my decision alone whether I continued alone or asked for help from the home team.
Are there any rules governing this?

[Edited by WinterWillie on May 12th, 2004 at 09:22 PM]
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Well, 10-1, and 10-3 both infer 1 umpire may do the job. I would not really want to add a "partial judge" into the fray, therefore would probably finish alone. I don't know if there is any official policy in force which would govern here. I will have to ask, this is a scenario I have never thought about. (done in rec ball frequently, but a V HS playoff? different story). What did you do? and how did it work out?

More importantly, what is partners condition? Games can be won and lost, and the memories fade, but lives and health are so much more precious than ANY game. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your partner, hopefully all will be fine. Please keep us informed of pard's condition.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I'd like to echo Jel's words and sentiments. My thoughts and prayers are with him also. We wish him the best of health in this.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Better to finish doing one man mechanics. My prayers will be with your partner.

Michael
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

WinterWille,

Best to your partner. I have been there done that. Last
year in the State AFA (Texas) tournament I went down and
spent six hours in the emergency room and took five bags
of fluid. Did nothing for a week, then did a ten day AFA
National tourney. When you see or talk to him/her just
tell him to rest and drink plenty of fluids....
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

"Are there any rules governing this?"

Not NFHS.

In Michigan all officials working a contest must be currently registered with the MHSAA. We are required to leave the field if a school has hired a non-registered official.

Absolutely would do a game alone rather than have an unregistered partner on the field.

WMB
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Willie -
Check with your state governing body. The PIAA, in Pennsylvania, has the same position that WMB stated Michigan has. I suspect that every state's body has that same position - and they should.

And, like the rest of the gang, here's hoping your partner is OK.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
My prayers goes out to your partner there Willie.

Lets us know what happen. We are family on this board, the brothers and sister of the "BLUE".

Old Thu May 13, 2004, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Lost my partner today

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
My prayers goes out to your partner there Willie.

Lets us know what happen. We are family on this board, the brothers and sister of the "BLUE".

The diagnosis was heat stroke. He was told to drink plenty of fluids and rest. He is at home and is much better today. Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers, thoughts and concern. He has been an umpire for 46 years and is one of the more colorful ones from the "old school" in our association. He is an umpire's umpire and is a pleasure to work with. When he went down, he was more worried about the "kids and their game" then he was about himself.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Glad to hear your partner is OK.

I would turn down the offer of help. One trained and experienced blue is going to get more calls right than an experienced blue with help from a spectator no matter how well intentioned. Your help will tend to be worried about not looking like a "Homer" or he may be a Homer either way he's letting the situation rather than the action dictate his call. The only concession that I make when I go to one man is I talk to the scorekeeper and ask them to watch one thing for me, if I have a tag play at 2nd for the 3rd out and there is a runner crossing the plate I may come to them for help. I do not want them to make the call or say anything except to me, I'll be making the call. I do this only to prevent the "How can you possibly see if that runner had touched the plate while you were calling the out at 2nd?" and it gives the scorekeeper some kudos. Truth is I actually do have eyes in the back of my head but I don't want to reveal that to them.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
So glad to hear your partner is going to be okay.
Add me to the group who would finish alone. Putting in someone from home team smells of trouble in the makings.

All day tournament coming up this Saturday. I'll be sure to drink plenty of water! Hope all of you are doing the same!
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Lost my partner today

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
Glad to hear your partner is OK.

I would turn down the offer of help.
The individual that I got to help was the husband of the AD at the school. He coaches three sports there and is a certified basketball referee. He has three daughters that graduated from this school and have attained All American status in the sports they played in college.(While I was BU in this game, I had three calls on the bases contested by the visiting coach and I nearly ejected a parent from the game. It was extremely contentious and a very close game)

[Edited by WinterWillie on May 13th, 2004 at 01:27 PM]
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

All a non-qualified ump will do is get you in deep fertilizer. Especially, if he/she is affiliated with one of the schools.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Winter Willie, are you sure they said " heat stroke" and not "heat exhaustion"? There is a big difference and heat stroke is very, very serious. I'm hoping for heat exhaustion.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
In IL this is phrohibited, must be licensed wit IHSA. I hope your partner comes out of this ok