The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2015, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Assistant coach went after my partner today

Here's the situation:
4th quarter of a 2 pt. game. Team A is leading by 2. My partner gets a common foul on Team B in the back court - under one minute. Head coach (great all game), does a little dance and runs to his seat. Assistant coach (JV coach and a terrible one) also jumps up to dance after the call. Partner goes over and warns: "coach I suggest you get your bench under control".
Head coach: seems embarrassed and nods in agreement...
Assistant coach says: "We're not talking to you" in a contemptuous tone.
Partner: Whack!
I totally agree with the call - though as the L, I couldn't hear what the assistant coach said.
Team B goes on to lose by 8.
Buzzer to end game sounds and this assistant goes after my partner before we leave the court and follows us into the hallway. The game management person is nowhere to be found...
Eventually this ___ coach gets under control - my partner gets into the dressing room. I go back into the almost empty gym - get the scores for both teams back in there: whack and eject the assistant. In our state, he can't sit on the bench for the next varsity game...
What say you!
Old Sat Dec 19, 2015, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Here's the situation:
4th quarter of a 2 pt. game. Team A is leading by 2. My partner gets a common foul on Team B in the back court - under one minute. Head coach (great all game), does a little dance and runs to his seat. Assistant coach (JV coach and a terrible one) also jumps up to dance after the call. Partner goes over and warns: "coach I suggest you get your bench under control".
Head coach: seems embarrassed and nods in agreement...
Assistant coach says: "We're not talking to you" in a contemptuous tone.
Partner: Whack!
I totally agree with the call - though as the L, I couldn't hear what the assistant coach said.
Team B goes on to lose by 8.
Buzzer to end game sounds and this assistant goes after my partner before we leave the court and follows us into the hallway. The game management person is nowhere to be found...
Eventually this ___ coach gets under control - my partner gets into the dressing room. I go back into the almost empty gym - get the scores for both teams back in there: whack and eject the assistant. In our state, he can't sit on the bench for the next varsity game...
What say you!
The moment you guys stepped into the hall you left visual confines of court. Your jurisdiction ended accept for clerical matters. Issues that arose and you addressed while you had jurisdiction. If you were going to toss him you should have done it before you left floor.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Dec 22, 2015 at 11:42am.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2015, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree - I left the visual confines only because my partner was being chased and I didn't want him to get attacked.
It just escalated quickly and before I knew it - we were in the hallway.
I knew my going back was a risk, but I felt this was completely unacceptable behavior by that assistant.
I should add that the official was younger and only in his first year as a varsity official.
I really felt concerned for his safety - getting him to the locker room was #1 priority.
2nd priority: sticking that ___!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Dec 19, 2015, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

You can't go back into the gym and whack once you've left. The best course would have been to just email your state/assigner. Let them know not only what the assistant did, but that security/game management was nowhere to be found. In my area, the assistant would likely be suspended as though he'd been ejected, and the host school would be getting a call/reprimand/fine from the state office the next morning.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2015, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
You can't go back into the gym and whack once you've left. The best course would have been to just email your state/assigner. Let them know not only what the assistant did, but that security/game management was nowhere to be found. In my area, the assistant would likely be suspended as though he'd been ejected, and the host school would be getting a call/reprimand/fine from the state office the next morning.
+1. Ejections, though they can be used as evidence to support subsequent suspensions by school/state authorities, are really not about that vis-à-vis their administration by game officials. To an official, technicals and ejections are necessary actions to take for the betterment of that particular game. In this case, game was over, any penalty would not have affected the outcome of the game, and besides, as has been discussed, jurisdiction had ended.

Separate from calling the game, there would have been nothing wrong with you reporting the unacceptable actions of the assistant to your assignor and/or the state office. In fact, that is to be encouraged in this case. Let those folks worry about suspensions and post-game discipline; that is not our function as officials.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2015, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

A supervisor is going to have a hard time defending you when you simply ignore/make up rules.

While I don't disagree that the behavior was unacceptable, this was not the right way to go about dealing with it. An email to the appropriate party is all that was necessary.

And GM/security should be monitoring the officials all the way to their locker room and their cars. I know a school in my area that got a big-time fine from the SCHSL for having inadequate postgame security for the crew.

Last edited by SC Official; Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 12:03am.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2015, 12:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
+1. Ejections, though they can be used as evidence to support subsequent suspensions by school/state authorities, are really not about that vis-à-vis their administration by game officials. To an official, technicals and ejections are necessary actions to take for the betterment of that particular game. In this case, game was over, any penalty would not have affected the outcome of the game, and besides, as has been discussed, jurisdiction had ended.

Separate from calling the game, there would have been nothing wrong with you reporting the unacceptable actions of the assistant to your assignor and/or the state office. In fact, that is to be encouraged in this case. Let those folks worry about suspensions and post-game discipline; that is not our function as officials.

I would not blame an official for ejecting a coach if he still had jurisdiction. The official in the OP did not (with the exception of filling out clerical reports). Hard to defend an official who makes shit up.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2015, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

I gave a head coach a technical while leaving the court several years ago. He got beat and decided to cheap shot me as I ran by his bench on the way out. We have to write up all unsportsmanlike technicals to the state and the school has to respond to them, so I knew it would get addressed in some fashion even if it didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2015, 03:10am
AremRed

Ah but does the ejection occur when the official recognizes it or when the official blows his whistle and enforces it??
Old Sun Dec 20, 2015, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I gave a head coach a technical while leaving the court several years ago. He got beat and decided to cheap shot me as I ran by his bench on the way out. We have to write up all unsportsmanlike technicals to the state and the school has to respond to them, so I knew it would get addressed in some fashion even if it didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game.

Had a similar situation a few years ago. I took the time to go back to the table and report a single, flagrant technical. That assured he was out for the next game, which I later learned was senior night. I hate coaches that think that just because the game is over they get a free shot at us as we leave the court. This guy came hard enough that he obviously wanted a response. He got one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 20, 2015, 07:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

2-2-4: The jurisdiction of the officials is terminated and the final score has
been approved when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area.
NOTE: The officials retain clerical authority over the contest through the completion of
any reports, including those imposing disqualifications, which are responsive to actions
occurring while the officials had jurisdiction. State associations may intercede in the
event of unusual incidents after the officials’ jurisdiction has ended or in the event that a
contest is terminated prior to the conclusion of regulation play.

2.2.4 SITUATION A: The score is Team A-62 and Team B-61 when the horn
sounds to end the fourth quarter. Prior to the referee’s approval of the final score,
the coach of Team A directs obscene gestures at the officials. RULING: A technical
foul is charged and the result of the free throws will determine which team
wins or whether an extra period is required. (5-6-2 Exception 4; 10-4-1c)

2.2.4 SITUATION B: Time expires to end the game with a score of 64-61.
Immediately following the signal to end the fourth quarter, the officials are moving
off the court toward a door to their dressing room. The referee enters the door
and is in the hallway to the locker room, but the umpire is still in the court area
when he/she notices the scorer frantically trying to get the officials' attention due
to a possible scorebook error. RULING: Since one of the officials has not left the
visual confines of the playing area, the game jurisdiction has not ended. The officials
may work with scorer's table personnel to rectify any errors.

2.2.4 SITUATION C: Team B leads by a point with seconds remaining in the
fourth quarter. A1 releases the ball on a try, but the noise level makes it difficult
for the covering official (umpire) to hear the horn. The umpire signals a successful
goal. The referee definitely hears the horn before A1 releases the ball, but does
not realize the umpire counted the goal. The officials leave the visual confines of
the playing area and are not aware of the controversy until the scorer comes to
the officials’ dressing room. RULING: Even though the referee could have canceled
the score if the officials had conferred before leaving, once the officials
leave the visual confines of the playing area, the final score is official and no
change can be made. In situations such as this, it is imperative that officials communicate
with each other and that they do not leave until any problem regarding
scoring or timing has been resolved.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Had an association meeting tonight.
The overwhelming consensus was that getting my young partner to safety immediately... was the best course of action. Since the coaches' act began on the court and safety was the only reason I left, the group felt that going back, especially since I hadn't reach the dressing room, and whacking that _____ assistant coach was something they stand behind.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 01:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

As long as that makes you feel better....
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
As long as that makes you feel better....
I don't feel better - just embarrassed for the coach & school; and saddened for the kids and fans that witnessed this level of disrespect toward someone in a uniform.
Nothing for me to "feel better" about.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 02:30am
Do not give a damn!!

You state does not have a procedure to report a coach for any unsportsmanlike conduct that takes place outside of the game? That is the case where I live, so if we had to write up a coach, the state can deal with the accordingly. But you cannot give a T after you have left the visual confines of the court. No rules support at all, but that is what others have said. But I would think you can report events that could happen for example in the parking lot if a coach confronted you, like what happened in my area about a week ago with a coach punching an official.

Peace