The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 01:07pm
In Time Out

Assistant Coach

I read through some threads and the issue about whether or not Ast coaches should be talking to the refs.
In the rule book, where does it say only one coach should be standing and only the HC should be talking to the ref? I understand that you only want the HC and the Ast coach should not be standing or involved with the refs especially in a negative way but is that in the book?
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 01:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Rule 10-4-4
Essentially, no one may stand at the bench (with exceptions specifically listed) except the head coach (per 10-5-1a). Without the use of the box, the HC is granted extra exceptions to stand and request a TO or to replace a player who has been directed to leave the game.

The HC is the only coach acknowledged in the rule book. There's nothing that says ACs can't ask questions, and most of us will answer legitimate questions from an AC.

No one, however, is allowed by rule to attempt to influence an official's decision or disrespectfully address an official. Sometimes, we give a little extra rope to the HC, but don't confuse this with what's allowed by rule.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 01:21pm
In Time Out

Cheers
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 01:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

We do not do everything because a rulebook says so. We do a lot of things because they are best practices.

Honestly it is up to each official to decide what they accept or do not accept. We already use discretion on the rulebook when it comes to being questioned about our judgment. I will have a dialogue much more with HC than anyone else. But for the most part, I do not like talking to assistants. Because if I tell an assistant one thing, it might not get said to the HC. I would rather give the horse's mouth my words than someone else that might not communicate to the person in charge properly.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We do not do everything because a rulebook says so. We do a lot of things because they are best practices.

Honestly it is up to each official to decide what they accept or do not accept. We already use discretion on the rulebook when it comes to being questioned about our judgment. I will have a dialogue much more with HC than anyone else. But for the most part, I do not like talking to assistants. Because if I tell an assistant one thing, it might not get said to the HC. I would rather give the horse's mouth my words than someone else that might not communicate to the person in charge properly.

Peace
I happen to agree. We do many things because they are best practice. During a live ball or any quick interaction I prefer to talk to the head coach. He is the one that is likely to make any decisions anyway. However, I understand if during a time out an assistant has a question. As long as the assistant is respectful and has a question I will answer it during a time out. I will sometimes give the head coach a sentence during a live ball or to explain a call that was just made. As I said, the only time I will talk to an assistant is during a time out, they are there to assist the coach, that is what they are doing during a time out if they are coming with a question.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 06:58pm
Back from the DL

Someone once told me to "deal with the organ grinder, not the monkey."

If an assistant coach starts to cross the line, I will tell the head coach, "Coach, control your bench." That's always worked before for me.

Overall, I'm okay with civil questions from an AC. Yesterday, A team had used up it's last time out, and the assistant coach was facing me while the head coach was busy instructing. The assistant coach made it clear they knew it was their last time out, so I saw no need to interrupt the head coach to inform them of something they already knew.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 08:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

I only interact with AC's who are requesting pertinent information, or who tell funny jokes.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

ACs have a way of becoming HCs and will remember how you have treated them.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I've heard this before, and I'm not saying I disagree with it. However, aren't you also training them how to have their ACs behave? Had an assistant the other night that was chirping right from the tip. First dead ball, I walked over to give the HC a friendly reminder.....one of my partners was already on it

Had him the following week.......didn't say a word to the officials
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
I've heard this before, and I'm not saying I disagree with it. However, aren't you also training them how to have their ACs behave? Had an assistant the other night that was chirping right from the tip. First dead ball, I walked over to give the HC a friendly reminder.....one of my partners was already on it

Had him the following week.......didn't say a word to the officials
My point is that there is a middle ground between letting ACs misbehave and refusing to speak to them at all. There is nothing wrong with polite and respectful interaction.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 10:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My point is that there is a middle ground between letting ACs misbehave and refusing to speak to them at all. There is nothing wrong with polite and respectful interaction.
My favorite assistant coach in the area knows when to corral his boss at the right times. Occasionally I've talked to HIM when I needed the HC to behave better.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 10:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree. They realize that they cannot have AC messing stuff up for their team by being stupid.

Why would we care what AC are going to remember? I will likely be around longer than them anyway.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Peanut Gallery

In my games thebench must be quiet in regards to officiating including what they say and how demonstratively the react. Only the head coach may question calls, ask for clarifications, make requests, complain (very lightly), during live ball action. I will communicate with assistants and entertain very polite inquiries during time outs or lengthy pauses but the leash is very short. I will also give very short clarifications to players on the court if asked properly and if I feel they arelegitimately seeking information, not just whinning or questioning our calls.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
+1

In limited cases I have utilized an AC to give information during a TO. This way I am not taking away form the HC time-out.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 04:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
+1

In limited cases I have utilized an AC to give information during a TO. This way I am not taking away form the HC time-out.
Agreed. For some reason, too many people seem to have difficulty with the idea.