The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 06:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

If the ball is live and there are 6 players on the court it is supposed to be a technical. Have you read anywhere that there is an exception if the clock is not running? So that means if the ball is at the disposal of a thrower-in or free thrower, there should be a penalty if 6 players are on the court. Most times in those situations an official will absorb the blame and say he/she should have prevented the ball from becoming live.

So if you can eliminate all the questions that involve the ball being live when the infraction occurs, it will be easier to wade through your other questions.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Try Again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If the ball is live and there are 6 players on the court it is supposed to be a technical. So if you can eliminate all the questions that involve the ball being live when the infraction occurs, it will be easier to wade through your other questions.
Good idea.

A) Head coach of Team B requests, and is granted, a timeout, at which point he immediately complains to the officials that Team A has six team members participating. The sole purpose of his timeout is to call attention to the officials that Team A has six team members participating. Officials, who have been unaware that six team members have been participating up until that point, count six Team A members on the court before they head into their timeout huddle. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call?

B) Team B head coach yells to nearest official that there are six Team A players participating. Official sounds whistle to stop the action to count the players and discovers that there are six Team A team members on the court during this dead ball, clock stopped, situation. What's the call?

C) Team A has six team members participating, which goes unobserved by the officials. Official calls a travel violation on Team A. There are no substitutions after the whistle. Before administering the throw in, officials observe that Team A has six team members participating. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call?

D) Team A has six players on the court. Officials are unaware of this infraction. Team A has been awarded two free throws. The first free throw is missed. No substitutions are made. Before bouncing the ball to the free thrower for his second free throw, the officials realize that Team A has six players on the court. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call?

E) The last Team A free throw attempt is successful. The clock hasn't started. Six team members on Team A are setting up a full court press. Officials become aware of the extra player before the ball is at the disposal of Team B for a run-the-endline throwin. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call?

G) Team A scores a field goal. Six team members on Team A are setting up a full court press. Officials become aware of the extra player before the ball is at the disposal of Team B for a run-the-endline throwin. The ball is dead, and the clock is running. What’s the call?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 06:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

My answers bolded within.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good idea.

A) Head coach of Team B requests, and is granted, a timeout, at which point he immediately complains to the officials that Team A has six team members participating. The sole purpose of his timeout is to call attention to the officials that Team A has six team members participating. Officials, who have been unaware that six team members have been participating up until that point, count six Team A members on the court before they head into their timeout huddle. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call? Official did not observe the infraction, no T.

B) Team B head coach yells to nearest official that there are six Team A players participating. Official sounds whistle to stop the action to count the players and discovers that there are six Team A team members on the court during this dead ball, clock stopped, situation. What's the call? I hope an official doesn't blow his whistle every time a coach asks for a call, but I digress. A smart official would say he counted the players before he blew his whistle in this case, so yes, I would go with a T here.

C) Team A has six team members participating, which goes unobserved by the officials. Official calls a travel violation on Team A. There are no substitutions after the whistle. Before administering the throw in, officials observe that Team A has six team members participating. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call? There is nothing to participate in if the clock is stopped and the ball is dead. Technically not a technical. Real world application, the official can say he observed 6 players participating and hope a video never appears showing that player walked on the court after the traveling violation

D) Team A has six players on the court. Officials are unaware of this infraction. Team A has been awarded two free throws. The first free throw is missed. No substitutions are made. Before bouncing the ball to the free thrower for his second free throw, the officials realize that Team A has six players on the court. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call? There is nothing to participate in if the clock is stopped and the ball is dead.

E) The last Team A free throw attempt is successful. The clock hasn't started. Six team members on Team A are setting up a full court press. Officials become aware of the extra player before the ball is at the disposal of Team B for a run-the-endline throw in. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call? There is nothing to participate in if the clock is stopped and the ball is dead.

G) Team A scores a field goal. Six team members on Team A are setting up a full court press. Officials become aware of the extra player before the ball is at the disposal of Team B for a run-the-endline throw in. The ball is dead, and the clock is running. What’s the call? Since the clock is running I would call this participation
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good idea.

A) Head coach of Team B requests, and is granted, a timeout, at which point he immediately complains to the officials that Team A has six team members participating. The sole purpose of his timeout is to call attention to the officials that Team A has six team members participating. Officials, who have been unaware that six team members have been participating up until that point, count six Team A members on the court before they head into their timeout huddle. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call?

B) Team B head coach yells to nearest official that there are six Team A players participating. Official sounds whistle to stop the action to count the players and discovers that there are six Team A team members on the court during this dead ball, clock stopped, situation. What's the call?

C) Team A has six team members participating, which goes unobserved by the officials. Official calls a travel violation on Team A. There are no substitutions after the whistle. Before administering the throw in, officials observe that Team A has six team members participating. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call?

D) Team A has six players on the court. Officials are unaware of this infraction. Team A has been awarded two free throws. The first free throw is missed. No substitutions are made. Before bouncing the ball to the free thrower for his second free throw, the officials realize that Team A has six players on the court. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call?

E) The last Team A free throw attempt is successful. The clock hasn't started. Six team members on Team A are setting up a full court press. Officials become aware of the extra player before the ball is at the disposal of Team B for a run-the-endline throwin. The ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. What’s the call?

G) Team A scores a field goal. Six team members on Team A are setting up a full court press. Officials become aware of the extra player before the ball is at the disposal of Team B for a run-the-endline throwin. The ball is dead, and the clock is running. What’s the call?
Because the rule is so vague, I'm citing Rule 2-3, and issuing a tech in each of the above situations. I realize you say "ball is dead" everytime, and "clock is stopped" on all but the last one, to try and make your point. But I can sell this call on each of these as it was clear that there were 6 people participating during live ball in each one.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 08:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fat Chance ???

Quote:
... hope a video never appears showing that player walked on the court after the traveling violation.
Yeah. Sure. This is 2015. No video? C'mon. There's probably a video on some player's grandmother's cell phone, to eventually show up on You Tube, or Facebook, or even on the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 08, 2015 at 08:29pm.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 08:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Comrade-In-Arms ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Because the rule is so vague.
So, you agree with me that the rule is vague. I thought that I was the only one.

Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:41am
beware big brother

Quote:
B/c the HC does not lose the box for that infraction.

He does when bench personnel run directly on to the court.

And it doesn't just happen at that level. My first JuCo game of the season we had a player run directly on to the court from the bench.
I hope your juco coach didn't lose his box for this technical foul.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I hope your juco coach didn't lose his box for this technical foul.
I think it would be pretty hard to convince a college coach that he loses his box.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 09:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I think it would be pretty hard to convince a college coach that he loses his box.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
JUCO coaches around here, anyway, think we're playing under HS rules (for the most part). I had one argue that his opponent should lose the box after a technical. It was a long day.