The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Tech foul question

Technical foul called and the administration of the technical foul resulted in shooting the first free throw at the wrong basket. The shot was missed.

The error was then noticed.

What should now happen?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Correctable ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Technical foul called and the administration of the technical foul resulted in shooting the first free throw at the wrong basket. The shot was missed. The error was then noticed. What should now happen?
Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in:
a. Failure to award a merited free throw.
b. Awarding an unmerited free throw.
c. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
d. Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket.
e. Erroneously counting or canceling a score.

Two shots at the correct basket.

(Does it have to be the same shooter?)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in:
a. Failure to award a merited free throw.
b. Awarding an unmerited free throw.
c. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
d. Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket.
e. Erroneously counting or canceling a score.

Two shots at the correct basket.

(Does it have to be the same shooter?)
It's a technical foul. I see no reason why it'd have to be the same shooter since technically, the free throw(s) never occurred.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cooling Off Period ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Technical foul called and the administration of the technical foul resulted in shooting the first free throw at the wrong basket.
I've been doing this for thirty years and every single year we've been warned about this. Officials will often call technical fouls when they're pissed off. And sometimes being pissed off can lead to mistakes being made that would normally not be made by an official in a more rational state. We've been told that after every technical foul, get together with our partner, and discuss the situation. This allows the calling official to calm down a little, and ensures that at least one rational official will be in on the discussion. Hopefully, by doing this, mistakes, like shooting at the wrong basket, can be avoided.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

You would goto the correct basket and shoot the two shots. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

The same applies if they had shot two shots? And made one or even two of the FT attempts?

Great advice BillyMac.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Can I add a quick question to this rather than new thread?

Our HS Rec League follows the "3 unsporting T-fouls on a team= forfeit/game over" rule.

What does a pregame/halftime dunk T-foul fall under?

I whacked 2 players same team a few seconds apart during halftime for climbing the net/rim-hanging dunks. (thats 2). Later we had 1 legit unsporting T on same team.

We allowed the game to go on as this was 2 teams from same HS and was more like a friendly scrimmage than anything else. It was actually the best sportsmanship and behavior from both teams all year. But for sake of argument is a deadball dunk "unsporting T" or something else?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Breath Into This Paper Bag ...

Last season I had a young partner who called a technical foul on a coach. For the reasons outlined above, I automatically, and immediately, ran over to him. I'm glad that I did. He was hyperventilating. I walked him out to the center circle, and calmed him down by slowly talking him through everything that had happened, and everything that was going to happen. By the time we shot the free throws he had calmed down. If I hadn't been there to calm him down, I think that the would have fainted.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
Our HS Rec League follows the "3 unsporting T-fouls on a team= forfeit/game over" rule.

But for sake of argument is a deadball dunk "unsporting T" or something else?
You need to ask your rec league that question. We can't answer it. It's their rule, not the NFHS's.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 06:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post

I whacked 2 players same team a few seconds apart during halftime for climbing the net/rim-hanging dunks. (thats 2). Later we had 1 legit unsporting T on same team.

We allowed the game to go on as this was 2 teams from same HS and was more like a friendly scrimmage than anything else. It was actually the best sportsmanship and behavior from both teams all year. But for sake of argument is a deadball dunk "unsporting T" or something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You need to ask your rec league that question. We can't answer it. It's their rule, not the NFHS's.
Agreed. I had a player DQ a few years ago in Iowa when the kid had one "mouth" T for yelling at me. His other T was for reaching across the inbound plane and slapping the ball.

I called the state the next day about the report, and he said not to worry about it since they only considered one of those Ts to be unsporting. They weren't going to give the kid a suspension.

I would venture to guess, with the question at hand, they would say to play on. Unsporting Ts are 10-3-6, the half-time dunking/hanging Ts are 10-3-3.

Either way, check the authorities for that game.